Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Oust! (Joust): Retro Competition Entry early tech demo and screenies!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all!
I'm not sure if you all will remember me here. I am more popularly known as WOLF. I don't spend much time on the forums anymore, but I am an oldbie from wayyyy back.

Anyway, I just wanted to show off the beginnings of my retro competition entry.

The game is based off of the retro game Joust. If you have never seen Joust, search for it with your favorite search engine. It is a great classic game. Basicly, you are a knight that rides on a flying ostrich.

My "updated" version of the game, is done mostly in first-person view. I have some really advanced animation stuff happening (for DB classic that is) such as:
- The first person view moves and rotates with the animation. So, unlike most first-person games, if you fall and are spinning through the air, you will see ground, sky, ground, sky...etc. instead of your view just getting closer to the ground.
-When looking around with mouselook, the 3D models head rotates to match the camera angle.

You are able to move your lance for targeting. The game is basicly just fly aroung (or run around) and kill your opponents. There will be power-ups such as longer lances and maybe shields (time permitting).

I'll have a single and hopefully multiplayer mode. The knights are also designed to be able to get off of their ostrich's but I don't know if I'll have time to implement that before the deadline.

The DEMO:
http://www.ericksonline.com/oust/oust!.zip
Something to check out-
Switch to the third person camera and move the mouse around (mouselook). You will see the knights head move to where he is looking

Controls:
Enter for third person cam.
Arrow keys to move.
Mouse to look around.
Right control key to fly.
Right mouse button and move mouse to move lance.

Let me know your FPS

HOOOOWWWWLLLL!!!!

WOLF

WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
The screens didn't work...
Lets try that again:

WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Doh!
I guess I posted this in the wrong place. It should have gone in the BETA forum. The game is by no means close to being done. There isn't even collision between the players yet.
Sorry about posting in the wrong spot!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 23:54
thats ok . looks good!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 01:29
Heh - that's looking cool! Are you going to get the bubbling lava with the hand that grabs you down if you get too low?

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 04:56
looks great, imagine the 2d classic sounds incoporated into the 3d version but with a constant filter applied to them all to give it an edge of difference with similar sounds.

Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 14:23
Constructive advice: I like the steed, but the knights body looks strange. It looks as if you couldn't decide whether it should be cartoon like or realistic. Keep the head realistic. Shrink the body down so the head seems a lot larger. Maybe make the feet bigger too! Bend the knees - Trust me! Keep ALL elements in a similar guise. eg: realistic OR cartoon like.
Could be good one once you have some sort of goal to play for! Platforms etc. Remember straight 2d to 3d never quite works. The original Joust works well because you are always aware of where the other player is and you only travelled in 2 dimensions. In 3d this immediately becomes harder. Harder to program, harder to play. Too many people are doing just straight conversions from 2d to 3d and all the simplicity and fun that was in the original game is lost.

Dual athlon 2000 MP - 1GB ram -
Nvidia Quadro4 550 64mb
Yamaha SW1000XG - Win2k sp2
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Rich:
Molten Lava has already been added. The hand will be an easy addition I will also have large columns of lava randomly shooting up in the air.

Indi:
In all of the years that I've been screwing around with DB, I have yet to use one single sound command. Hahah! I'm looking forward to getting this game far enough along to dive into that fun!

Jasonio:
Thank you for the advice. The knight isn't quite finished yet. I just wanted to get something that mechanicly works properly. The entire thing needs retextured. I am going to be going the more cartoony look. I do appreciate the criticism.
As far as the actual gameplay....
I'll probably have a couple different modes. One being classic, maybe a capture the egg (flag). There will also be power-ups such as longer lances, shields, and maybe even some ranged (limited use) weapons. I know the simplicity of the old game WILL be lost, but hopefully the fun (even though different) will still be there.

WOLF

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 17:18
Looks fun!

How about a Emu-mode with a molten hand stuffed up every osterich?

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:28:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:28:37