Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FTP program Beta

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 04:31
I shifted this programs foundation from dark to visual basic, what it does is connect to my FTP server (password protected) and allows u download any of my available programs. I've tested it on only XP machines and it works fine! I just wanted you guys to test it out and inform me of any bugs before i officially release it on my site

Download Link (size: 25.3kb):
http://www.geocities.com/kodey2002/FTPconnector.zip

Program Pic:

sorry if the pic doesn't show up, still using geocities bear with me and open another browser! thanks!
your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 04:40
ok, the program maybe colourful but it's not user friendly! there are 9 main buttons on the form, to download a program from my FTP, u need to:

- click the top left button (connect to ftp)
- click the top middle button (get program list)
- select a program from the combo box above the buttons
- click the top right button (get program info.)
- click the bottom middle button (download program)

these are the important buttons for this program. Theres the issue about my username, password and ftp site being discovered, if you do decide to try and hack into the program, could you pls let me know how you got the info so i could look for a better way to secure it

ok, thats about it, if you find any bugs or have any comments just post them up, also try sending error reports with the program (middle right button) to see if that works. thanks

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 20:47
so..... does it work?

Darksoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 21:33
Well, it seemed to connect to the ftp. Then a the combobox was populated. I'm not sure about the downloading of the files. You should prolly put in a progressbar if possible. Why not just have the program list auto-populate once connected to ftp? I like how you have description and pics of game when you select from list. I'll let you know if i can find your ftp uname and pass...

TH -Darksoft.net
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 00:00
wow, at least someone answered ^_^ thanks a lot!!! i've taken your comments into consideration and yeah, i'll probably make fewer buttons so the process will be more straightforward ^_^ and add a progress bar once i find out how to do that. thanks again!

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 15:19
Hi,

I created an FTP program while back, and I have to say, yours looks very good!

However, is it the usual 2-view transfer program, as the screen doesn't look that way?

Visit [url]www.lightning-systems.co.uk[/url]
You are the th person to view this signature.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 18:07
2-view transfer program? hmm not so sure what u mean, see i've got a free geocities internet account and only 15MB free web space, i'm in uni now and i've got space on our FTP server which is way more than 15MB so i decided to place all my games and stuff on there, the problem was that access is password protected and i just can't start giving everyone my username/password etc so i decided to make this program just to connect to my FTP and download my programs so theres no need for me to give out my username/password thats all

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 20:08
What I mean is that you have the screen divided in half. One half are the files on your PC, the other are the files on the server. You can then drap-and-drop files to upload / download.

That's the usual FTP program style.

I thought this was an actual FTP client, not a proprietory program. That's all

Visit [url]www.lightning-systems.co.uk[/url]
You are the th person to view this signature.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 20:36
ok, i understand now ^_^ it's kinda like that just modified for just what i want it to do! have u tried the program? did u find any thing wrong?

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:05
Hi Hexgear, I couldn't download this from your link - have you moved it?

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:16
hmm.... yeah checked, it's still there, try rightclicking then save target as, see if that works!

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:18
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:20
Nice interface! It works ok, but seems to describe the files there as zip files yet when you get them they are actually Jpgs.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:24
thanks ^_^, it's kinda confusing (gotta work on that), when you select a game, then click get info, it displays the downloaded info + jpgs on the screen like the picture above then when u click the download button bottom middle button) you then download the .zip file of the chosen program like is said b4 kinda confusing at first but i'll sort it out. try downloading a game and see if that works (no progress bar yet!)

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:31
Ah - will try again.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:34
Got it. It seems quite a lot of processes to go through to actually get to the files. And you definately need a progress bar. But very cool and great idea.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:42
BTW, Ninja scroll is looking nice! But the fonts were appearing messed up on my system and I couldn't read any of the text!

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:57
- reduce number of processes.
- add progress bar.

cool ^_^ got it, i'll change/make those and make a version 1.1

about Ninja scroll, point taken i'll probably use a more common font or something, i'm chaging the game name by the way to "the 5th scroll"

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 00:36
The new title seems better. More suggestive of an indepth plotline.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:16:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:16:12