Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Importing models help, why won't my models show up? Why do they fall through the floor? Please help!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 18:51 Edited at: 19th Nov 2005 18:54
OK, first of all, I searched the forums because I know that issues like the ones I have have come up in several places, but the only topics that come up don't help me.
With that staement past, I will continue on to my problem.
I have recently tried to import a model into FPSC, it's original name was fass7.3ds. I converted it to cordial.x. After getting the model, thumbnail, and texture in order, I tried it in FPSC, after many runtime erros (due to me not writing the texture/model paths correctly) I finally managed to get it into FPSC, I placed it in several places, and tested the game with much enthusuiasm, however, they didn't show up at all. And if I waited for about five seconds I could see that they must have fell through the floor because I could see (and hear) explosions from them falling into... well... wherever models go when they fall into nothingness.

I have included a .rar archive of all the original .3DS files, and the .X files that I produced useing the .3DS files. I also included the DBPro .3DS to .X (vice-versa) converter in case someone wants to convert the models and try them in FPSC. I am expirenced with importing things into FPSC, I have done it before, usually with these results, but I have gotten thing to work before.

If I had to guess at the problem, I would guess the root of the problem would be in that .MDL file (model?) thats in the the fass7 models. I have NO idea what this is, I'm guessing it's the model, which would present a problem... a big problem. However, I have no idea. the last time I encountered this problem, I searched on Google to find out what .MDL files are, however, I have found NOTHING that explain them. Any help would be very apreciated!
Thanks,
-Sunflash

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
CBStudios
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 01:08
mdl is quake or half life models I think, I have never gotten a model integrated into fpsc either, but out of fear for the RTFM comment I have refused too post my problem
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 01:26
if the models spawn half way thru the floor, they will fall thru...

try pressing enter before placing your entitys...

it also could be that your models face were facing the wrong way...try recalculating the faces...

also, make sure that in the fpi script for the model...that there is no coloff command anywere...that would make it fall thru...

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2005 23:59 Edited at: 21st Nov 2005 00:00
Ok, I've already tryed to push ener, that was one of the first things that came to my mind. However, that didn't do any good. The model isn't mine, I didn't make it, so I don't think I can edit it, but you would know more about that.
Also, I couldn't find any coloff command in the .FPE file

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:36
not fpe...the fpi script the entity uses...

coloff yurns the collision off, which would make it fall thru the floor.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 19:01 Edited at: 21st Nov 2005 19:22
I found the problem in the .FPE file, it said:

collisionmode = 3

I had to change that to:

collisionmode = 1

and the model HAS to be a static for it to show up. further more, the texture looks SOOOOO bad that you can barly tell what the model actually is. I'm guessing it's in the size of it.

EDIT: How do you change the models size? I think it's in the .FPE file, but whatever I do it dosn't work.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 21:45
I have imported nolders Soda Machien, if you turn physics off, it will fall though... half way, and STILL react to physics forces.

Proof that FPSC's Physics engine is bug central.

I will try this with other segments, but I think that it is a constant.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 01:41 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2005 01:43
If its static entities you are dealing with milkshape can handle .mdl files.

I use GameStudio's A6 model editor MED for handling them as its perhaps the best for working with .mdl files. With it you can save out as mdl 5, 7, 3DS or mdl 2 the quake 2 file format. The best thing about it as far as FPSC is concerned is you can use it to output a complete one piece skin for your model (essential for FPSC) from a model that has been opened and had numerous separate textures applied to different parts of a model.

The mdl file format is similar to .x files in that it has the abiility to store all file data and embed it in a model. i.e. it will embed animations and textures so no external resources are needed, Something that .x files can do but is omitted from the method FPSC uses - guess that makes it easier to change skins in FPSC.

Deep exploration does not handle .mdl 5, 7 so I output to 3DS or occasionally .mdl2 and convert to .x file.

I have few problems with models converted this way - though have found that both relative vertical positioning to the centre line in your model editor and physics attributes inside FPSC applied to models which vary that original centre point position can influence how they sit and fall inside FPSC. Its relative to the models bounding box too.

Of course if you have solved the problem and it was the collision settings then this may just help others a little with .mdl questions.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 01:46
Well, I want it to be a Dynamic object. And I really want the texture to look good, it was SO nice!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 21:28:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 21:28:47