Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Looping Music Doesn't Seem To Work

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I haven't seen this posted before, so I thought I would ask.

Whenever I try to loop music under the Dark SDK, it plays once and then just stops. I took my looping code directly from the sampe files. Some background info:

(a) Running visual studio v6
(b) Running windows 2000
(c) Direct X v9 (last version that will work with 2000)
(d) I am getting some interestin linker warnings:

Linking...
LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "DPLAYX.dll" discarded by /OPT:REF
LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "OLEAUT32.dll" discarded by /OPT:REF
LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "SHELL32.dll" discarded by /OPT:REF
LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "WININET.dll" discarded by /OPT:REF
LINK : warning LNK4089: all references to "d3dxof.dll" discarded by /OPT:REF

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering if these linker warnings might be the root of the problem.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2005 22:23 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2005 22:24
The source code has, as usual been eaten by the Hungry Pole of Programming, but I've had no troube with LoopMusic as long as you dont do a PlayMusic followed by LoopMusic (or possibly the other way around).

Those warning messages are just to tell you that some DLL files aren't being used.

The Back Alley Media
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried it again, and still it doesn't work. I've tried enclosing a snippet of my code. I hope this works.

I also tried a to check to see if the music stopped playing by using the : if (!dbMusicPlaying(MUSIC_SPLASH_ID)), and set a breakpoint. The breakpoint was never hit. So the system seems to think that the music is playing. Could there be some kind of problem with my build environment?

I am also having another weird problem - I cannot get a release .exe to run when I invoke my application outside the IDE
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 06:52
Use the code button for posting your source code instead of using the code text box. Click "code" once, paste the code, click "code" again to close the tag.

The Back Alley Media
Years of Service
User Offline
Enclosed , hopefully, is the code I am using. This time I used the code button.

What is concerning is that the music plays once and just stops. I tried the if (!dbMusicPlaying(MUSIC_SPLASH_ID)) test on it, and it passed. I set a breakpoint and the condition was never true.

I am using Visual Studio v6. under Win 2000. I am just about convinced that it is my version of DirectX and the compiler.
I am using DirectX® 9.0 SDK Update (Summer 2003), I also downloaded the extras I found under the FAQ. I have tried my configuration with and without the extras.

More interesting is that neither the debug nor the release .exe will run. What I get is a black window where the mouse pointer flickers at approximately the dbSync refresh rate.

I am about ready to purchase the .net version of Visual Studio. I am about out of ideas. Any insight, suggestions, would be very much so appreciated.

dbLoadMusic ( "splash_loop.wav", MUSIC_SPLASH_ID );
dbLoopMusic ( MUSIC_SPLASH_ID);
The Back Alley Media
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok -- I have solved my own problem. Thanks everyone for the help, it was greatly appreciated. So here we go:

(a) Instead of using dbLoopMusic I switched to dbLoopSound, problem solved. I now get looping music. So there may be some kind of a bug with dbLoopMusic. If the music I was using didn't have copyright issues, I would upload it here and see if someone else could replicate the problem. I do believe there may be a loop music bug tied to a particular sampling rate.

(b) I was able to get my executable to run outside of the IDE. I copied my Media directory and placed at it at the same filesystem level as the .exe and it worked.

I apologize for being such a newbie, unfortunately, I just didn't find the documentation to be 100% clear. I hope at some point it gets updated.

Thanks again everyone. I hope to come up to speed ASAP
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 09:12
There is no bug - you were trying to treat a wav as a music file.

kamelito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 23:54
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=55106&b=15

I just sent my prog to Mike will see if he can repro to be able to fix it.

/kml

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:25:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:25:42