Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Added a new player stat: money

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 20:43
A little successful experiment involving adding a new player stat. in this case it was money:

before I walked over the health pickup:

after:

I created a new player stat in the source code, proliferated it everywhere player data is manipulated. Added another hud image and location, added in a new ai command to add player money, added the command to the pickuphealth script. So when I picked up the health, not only did I get a health boost, but I gained 1000 money!

The bad news is the games have to use my .exe, because it was extensive source code modification.

Add functions to your .fpi to add/remove money from the player, gets preserved between levels. Next little mod is to add money when a creature dies, or spawn a money pickup item.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 20:53
I guess I didn't make this clear: I found a way to add any stat to the game:
XP
Level
Mana
Power
Faction
Friendliness
Visibility
Danger Indicators
Inventory
Whatever

It is also now only a matter of time before I can make an Options Hud for simple stuff like difficulty, blood, speed, resolution, etc.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 20:57
if you could make a weapon that used up a cerian thing like power, then that would be cool. OR have it set to win when you gain enogh $$$, or only be able to get a weapon when you have enough $$$, just having the stat isnt cool (well it is, but like, not cool enogh) i like it alot thoughy.

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 20:57
thats cool!

do you think its possible to do a directional stat?

like a different eye.tga depending on where you got hit?

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 20:59
hey, that would be cool, OR could you have a lock on system, i dont think you coyuld , bhut if you had a guy running around and instead of aiming, hit alt and have a box go in around the guy?

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 21:04
@flashing snall: you're missing the point! Yes, I'm talking about new player properties ingame, that can be manipulated in code, through fpi functions, whatever. So you can now do ANY of the things you mentioned. LOL Any!!

The picture in the HUD is just a representation of the actual live stat properties before and after a pickup. Get it????

@Bullshock: I looked at the hit code today and it is possible, just need to convert the translation rotation to a usable number, like degrees
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 22:09
Wow, this is incredible! It would be even better though if someone made a program that, on the click of a button, was able to change their sourc code to do any/all of the things mentioned above (and more!) This would be worth lots of $$$!

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 22:13
I have already thought of something similar, to support a large but set number of custom stats. It would be easy enough to get them into the source, but it's up to the game developer how they will be used.

I can make tutes at least sometime...
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 02:39
This would be great for an armor stat, with armor pickups. I wanted to do something like this but can't seem to find the time to mess with code. Please show me(us) how you did it in a tutorial. Thank you in advance

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 02:48
It involves both source code modification and fpi modification, but pretty easy either way.

I will post about it tomorrow, ok? Left the code at work.
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 02:50
Sounds great. It will save me alot of time. Thank you

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 14:52
Cool, looking forward to this.

FPSC is way to cool, you can create even more then a fps with it!
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow this is great news. It really opens up a lot of possibilities...rather than mindless shooting but more adventure type elements. Now if we could just save and load games, guess I'll have to wait for Riker9. Great work!
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 16:11 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 16:11
I am putting up the source code mods and the files I changed here just on the offchance someone will want to check out what I changed and run with it. This is the single stat change for money... You should be able to repeat the process for additional stats.

This is indeed exciting, opens up the possibilities! Please, if you make any nice changes, post them up here. I will do the same as well, I am off researching something else at the moment.

Some easy changes to make:

Jump modification - jump higher
Weapon modification - add more damage to weapons
Armor modification - absorb some damage, 1 for 1 exchange, or permanent absorbtion
Speed modification - move faster
Strength modification - pickup heavier items
Level/xp modification - gain levels which affect all abilities (harder modification because more modifiers to add/track in the source)
Money modification: done already... Create a store which allows the pickup of an item when you have enough money. use signs on the wall for prices, and custom pickup .fpi scripts assigned to weapons and ammo to check for enough money and allow the actual pickup
Alignment modification: have certain AI be friendly (ie not shoot) or not depending on things you do ingame.

The list goes on and on and on.....

Setuplevel.fpi gives some interesting insight as to how huds are made... I know someone will decipher this sooner or later, there are several hud options available...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Stickwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 20:09 Edited at: 30th Nov 2005 20:28
There are two extra files in the download that the readme file didn't say what to do with... FPSC-Game.dba and FPSC-Game.dbpro.

Is there anything we need to do with these files to make the money feature work? If so could you please tell us where to put them?

Thanks!

[edit]

I just read that we need both DBPro and the DBPro Enhancement Expansion Pack ($173.94) to compile it into an .exe - I'll have to save up for that one!

"You're from Wisconsin... artificial light is fascinating to you."
-Bill McNeal, News Radio
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 20:50
Why don't you just post the FPSC-Game.exe file for those of us who DONT have the enhancements?

Your signature has been erased by a jealious mod.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 20:53
I will when I can... this is most useful to those who will make more out of it for now via the source, as more time is required to make it useful.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 21:43
Cool... so do you just like type Money=1?
And you fixed the text thingy?

Hmm... but what I am curious most about is how you are going about it...
Are you making it so that we have to use only YOUR stats? Or is it that we make our own in FPI?
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 00:25
OnePost, I just am nailing down the technology and posting my findings as I go. As it stands now, I am making room for 10 custom stats and their functions. I am going to hardcode certain behaviors for each one, and then allow for customization through scripts. I will do the ones I think weill be useful to people, and of course am open to other ideas.

You will be able to change the names of them onscreen, what they are called internally doesn't matter. If you think about it for a sec, each stat has to have an effect on the game in order for it to be useful. So someone has to make source code changes!

When I am done and have posted up all my info, just about anyone will be able to add custom stats to their games, and have as much onscreen information as they want! Numerical, graphical, etc. Whatever it is that will add value to your gameplay.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 02:50
You know what would be a cool stat? A running/walking streinght, like that of Battlefield2.

Your signature has been erased by a jealious mod.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 02:57
This is awesome...but uhmmm (newb question) how do i get it in game... i read your posts dont understand i cant open the .dds where do i put the files all that good stuff (be patient with me im a newb at all of this **still **

---------
Dont hate
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 03:01 Edited at: 1st Dec 2005 03:17
OK... to anyone who can't compile the source code, please be patient a day or so and I will post up a version that is easy to use immediately!

I will implement this first as armor! Money wouldn't be too handy since we can't yet save.... or go back to a location.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 03:16
k thanks man, take your time...no rush.

---------
Dont hate

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 21:22:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 21:22:21