Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Player Stat System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 13:25
I am working on implementing a player stat system. Yesterday I successfully created a new stat called money, and functions to manipulate it from .fpi files.

Following on that work I have created 10 more stats called pstat1... pstat10, which can be used for anything the developer wants.

Right now they are all numeric type huds, with pstat1.dds...pstat2.dds in the hud bank, and the images would be edited to display what the stat represents. Like if you wanted to have an 'XP' stat, you would change the pstat1.dds to an "XP:" image, and add lines to your .fpi that would give experience, say when a monster is killed. Like this:
plraddpstat1 = 50

My question is this: in order for the stats to be useful, they should affect things. I will need to make some source modifications to affect ingame things.

I am thinking of simple uses like strength and jump, maybe dexterity, that could affect ingame physics. Or Level, which is based off experience, and affects many player properties.

You could also have stats for weapon skills, which would add a modifier to hit or dmg when using that kind of weapon. I am adding modifiers to the physics system anyway to allow for things like high jump pickups, speed increases, improved or decreased accuracy, health regeneration over time, etc.

You could use the stat system to track money and create an ingame store also. Or assign custom names to the monsters in your game.

So which stats would be most useful if implemented? Try to think generic, as in useful for the most ppl.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Before I say something dumb allow me to ask you this: you are doing it in the code with DBPro I assume, right?

V

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 13:42
Yep! But the idea for me is going to be to create perhaps another .fpi file to handle the stat logic, so developers don't have to keep modifying the source code.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok... Some may not be FPS specificaly, I'm just wandering around.

I think there are 2 main categories that would be interesting:

Action driven, like armour, hit%, hidden probability (stealth kind of thing) variable modifiers (strength, health, dexterity)

and

Story driven, like gold, names, items (like a backpack where each variable would be a backpack slot) and even skills that would mess up with the variable modifiers.

Like I said, this is not very FPS wise, but you can dream a bit on top of this maybe.

Hope it helps, good luck and keep up the good work.

V

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 15:10
Those are great ideas Vlad..I was thinking of RPG type stats anyway to create a middle ground...

I think FPSC has potential to be more than just FPS engine anyway hehe.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Like I said in another thread, FPSC could be used in other game genres. The use of other variables and some camera changes would do most of the trick I think.

Keep up the good work.

V

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2005 18:42
This idea definently has potential

Quote: "I think FPSC has potential to be more than just FPS engine anyway hehe."

This is exactly what I have been saying for some time now, keep up the good work!

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 21:23:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 21:23:05