Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Questions before buying

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, first time poster

My first question.. what popular game engine(s) can FPSC be compared to?

My second question.. 3D Gamemaker also talks about making FPS games. Can the FPS games made with 3D Gamemaker compare to the games made with FPSC? Is there already a pre-made engine for it in that program? Are there pre-made engines for other types of games such as RPGs in that program?

Third.. how much harder is it to develop games with DarkBASIC Pro as opposed to FPSC or 3D Gamemaker? Is it worth the trouble?

Finally.. does anybody know how much it costs to use the Half-Life SDK for noncommercial purposes? How do I get it? I see where I can download an SDK, but is that exactly what I need to develop a full blown game / Half-Life or CS mod?

Thank you!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 09:35
There is really nothing to compare FPSC to, graphically I'd say it was on par with the earlier MOH games, but it's greatly dependant on you as an artist to put your own style into the game. T3DGM is not even in the same race!, disregard that unless your about 6 years old . T3DGM can make different types of game, which all use the same generic and somewhat limited engine, FPSC only concearns itself with FPS games, although I imagine there's a lot you can do with it to pull in RPG style elements. People are already trying to develop some great ideas, like melee weapons for instance.

I'm writing a FPS in DBPro, and I have to say it's far from easy, it's damn difficult in fact - however the neat thing about FPSC and DBPro is that they're from the same nest, if you bought FPSC and felt like expanding on your ideas, you could then use your levels in your own custom DBPro game, you can use FPSC then as a springboard. One of the trickiest elements of FPS design is the level system, with FPSC that's done for you along with much more - so it's a great way to get into more advanced projects while still being able to generate games quickly.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I'd say, buy it. If you don't like the engine there are a few(by that I mean one) updates to the engine(Riker9) that's free.

FORUM n00b THREAT LEVEL: ORANGE
Some thread revival/spam-Some bad grammar used, stupid questions or answers-No direct flaming
Pumpkin King
Years of Service
User Offline
If you have to get either, get FPSC. I bought GameMaker ages ago, and hated it. Yes, it could make games, but it was quite limited. And then every time someone was done playing the game, it popped up with this horrid little text telling them the game was made w/ that system.

Try giving someone a game as a gift, and then have that message come up. It's a bit embarassing. Not to mention, it's not very XP compatible, even with the patch it has issues.

FPSC seems much better for FPS games. Although I will tell you, it has no ragdoll. Had I known this myself before ordering it, I wouldn't have. It also has no save/load function. Be ware of that as well. I wasn't.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 21:37:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 21:37:26