Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / GPU shadow shader picks up Fog layer.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
A bug or a feature? Using the GPU based shadow shader causes the shadows to turn the fog color when fogging is turned on. With fog off the shadows are black, and they work great! But as soon as the fog is turned on all the shadows take on the fog color.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 20:55
That's quite a bug, but is actually quite a good feature. Set fog far away and you then have control over fog colour!

Some code to demonstrate;

Boo!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 22:25
When there is fog there shouldn't be much, if any, of a shadow anyway. The fog would be blocking the light.

DcZee
Years of Service
User Offline
Spooky: Ya that is cool,...would cast some pretty interesting shadows,..colored shadows based on the light color if you match them. Maybe they could turn that into a feature,...

Lost in Thought: for sure!,..lots of fog should restrict lighting and cut down the shadow intensity. If fog is on, a calc could be made to increase the falloff of the light source. But having the shadows the same color as the fog looks weird on a dark background, like terrain grass. However it can be exploited as spooky pointed out. hehe
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 15:08
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 16:43
Fixed for U6 beta4

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 19:53
I have this problem on U6.0RC10 and Final ...

Here is a snapshot.
I set the Shadow color to RGB( 16, 16, 16 )

sometimes, when I turn camera in varous angles, the shadow take the good color and go back to fog color ...

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Farid101
Years of Service
User Offline
I have noticed that when any object is transparent, it effects the application with fog shadows from the direction it is from the camera. However, I avoided this by setting the transparent objects fog to zero. Then the shadow color can be the programmer's chosen color.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:17:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:17:28