Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Tropical Pack available

Author
User Banned
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 10:25
Hi,

Im pleased to announce that Arteria gaming's Tropical pack is now available for FPSC. Although the pack for other engines animated, due to FPSC's lack of animation speed control, the pack's contents do not animate, however they still remain a worthy, addition to make your tropical scenes

http://www.arteria-gaming.com/tropical.html
Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
Beat me to it Stevie, I just got your e-mail telling me the good news, so i was going to post it here for you

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 14:52 Edited at: 6th Dec 2005 14:53
ya, sorry about that....it worked with a door, so i assumed it would work with the trees.

sorry

pack looks great though!!!

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 16:15
Wow, great pack. Also, awesome use of your pack in this level. Good job. This worth the price.

Skalex Productions| Website Finished (click on banner) | ChaosZone
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 16:42
hey. got any pics of the stuff in FPSC?

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 18:14
Hey, if you would like, send the pack to me and I'll try to animate it, in any spare time.

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 23:12
FPSC Screenshots?

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 23:36
@chrisb...i already tried, and if cant you probbably couldent. it worked with a door, but then i replaced the mesh and

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 01:08
If you add the line "ischaracter=1" to the identity details of an entity's fpe file it should animate fine.

You can then drive the animations with a custom script.

Not sure if this is the problem, but I still can't work out what "lack of animation speed control" means since I've had no problems adding animated entities to FPSC.

Maybe it's the way they're set-up.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 01:55
Claps Hands
That is what I said.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 03:11 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 03:14
am
Quote: "lack of animation speed control"

It means just that. Some engines use different kinds of control to affect how speed of events, animations and alike take place.

Engines generally are either time based or frame based, perhaps both.

Animations can play at a certain number of frames per second or can play a specific number of frames over a specified time period. Something of this nature in part exists in FPSC.

A frame based or time based engine too will affect frame rates dependant upon whether or not max frames per second is allowable and utilised. If max frames per second is supported, you have a fast engine and there is no specified max fps specified in code then a game could shoot away to say 150 fps - this allows designers of games with high fps engines to get a lot of content into their game - designed for users of gameplay specific machines - players of the game with powerful systems will get the best from it whereas those with low spec computers would just not be seeing the game as designed to be played as their machine could not keep up with the speeds.

Unlike in the case of FPSC most engines that have more flexible user control of animation and gameplay speeds so a game designer using a fast engine can have an option to allow flexible gameplay speeds or limit them dependant upon the game design and the targeted level of end user systems.

Its all about the end user. Effectively having a choice means you have a choice of the kind of game you can make. A time based system will allow more flexible gameplay speeds which will accommodate a wider range of end users -

Will someone else explain this...its complicated and I making a hash of it. its all about ticks, fps, cpu, display refresh, animation speeds, end user system speeds and how one balances out or can keep up with the others.

In a simple explanation FPSC is not very flexible - I suspect much like fps and decal speeds control of animation speeds for entity animations is only editable via source or its hard coded into the engine.

I am not sure for instance what happens if say you tried to use set an enemy characters speed setting at 500 or 1000 as I have not tried myself - does that speed up his complete animation sequences so that he reloads and shoots like a bat out of hell or does it just increase the speed an enemy moves forward?

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 06:36
Speed only effects how fast an entity moves.
It has no effect on animations.

The current fps of an engine should have no effect on the overall speed and timing of animations.

FPSC's speed is fixed, so it makes no sense to worry about this anyway. You can always fix the speed of animations with keyframes.

I still don't understand why this is a problem.

As far as decals goes, yes they could be improved but they work okay as they are from what I've seen.

It's all theoretical from my end as I honestly don't intend to buy this pack (not because it sucks, I just don't need it).

I was just wondering why the option for animations weren't there, as I can't see any good reason for them not to be.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 18:59
it was a constant looping animation....and even when it was working with the door i tested it with, it killed the fps when there were mor ethan one. i think people would rather have non animated ones than animated ones that kill fps...

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 19:32 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 19:38
Many things to do with an individual computer sysytem as well as many things inside an engine may have an influence on speed of gameplay and animations of all kinds - try running FPSC on a poorly specked computer and see what happens - to anything in game that has to move, think or refresh.

FPSC speed, frame based character animation amongst other things is fixed and thats the whole point. FPSC decals are the poorest and the most resticted form of animated sprite I have ever seen in a game engine myself - their uncontrollable speed amongst other things in some instances is just ridiculous - one speed - much too fast.

FPSC is not at all suited to things like animated plants - now thats expecting a lot of it - its not Unreal or even Torque so cant ask that of it, however an animated sprite system that has absolutely zero user control is just falling somewhat on the short side of poor in my opinion.

Not really debating is it so I'm away from this one now - said my bit.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 21:22
i have one of those new geforce 7 series graphics cards...with 512MB...

so there is NO WAY IN HELL it should go below 33...EVER...

but...this is FPSC...we have to deal with it.

if i get 15-20 fps with my cpu...most people wouldent even be able to move...

and i agree about decals...they need to fix that in the next release...that and fog

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 22:00
Ay! - the decals are fast though.

Fog would be nice.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 22:07
Hope you don't mind me asking again..... does anyone have FPSC screenshots from this pack?

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 23:39:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 23:39:17