Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Succession: The Betrayal

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 20:41
Hi there,

Heres some new screenshots from Succession: The Betrayal.
http://www.successionthebetrayal.com/files/scr1.jpg
http://www.successionthebetrayal.com/files/scr5.jpg
http://www.successionthebetrayal.com/files/scr6.jpg

Would anyone mind commenting on these and if anyone has the time could you test the demo and tell me if it works, its smooth etc. The demo is located here:

http://www.successionthebetrayal.com/files/SuccessionDemo.zip

Controls are:

Cursors - move
Mouse - look
(with button 1 pressed - swing weapon)
TAB - go into mouse mode (so you can pick up equip stuff etc)
Space - Jump

It you keep walking either east or west from the starting point you'll find some buildings and habitations.

Cheers,
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 20:44
Ooops, images here:

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 20:47
man it's been a while since i last heard from this game ^_^ the screens look outstanding as usual, especially the thrid one! was the last demo made in db or dbpro? anyways downloading now, will be back with my opinions!

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 20:52
Thanks Hexgear. I've been doing a hell of a lot to it recently. It starts in some countryside (I did that for fast loading but if you wander off the map to the east or west or north you'll find some more interesting stuff. The major problem with it at the moment is loading times for built up areas but I've got a plan to fix this.

Yeh, its made in DBPro with a combination of CShop and my own world editor to join models made in CShop with matrixes.

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 20:54
The previous demo was made in DB Classic but its been seriously revised since then. (Actually its a ground up rebuild to accomodate some ideas I had to overcome the limitations of CShop X models.)

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:14
wow........ i'm impressed man, i'm impressed, took me a while to find the town though ^_^ everythings so cool, the ground, the paths, the water (double layered, water and mud i think, i like that) even the sky too (double layered i think, blue and clouds), speed was not an issue until i got into the main town, see the problem is when speed changes, if the speed was constant (but a bit slow) no matter where you where then it's kinda ok but when players detect a change in game speed the they get frustrated!

the building where beautiful, blended in with the scneario and the white fog n stuff, i even checked out the church and cemetary with the tombstones (i think), all cool there was some trouble however with gravity and jumping! u could use a sin formula or somtehing! i like the inventory method, dropping and picking the sword worked fine.

thats some solid piece of work, keep it up ^_^

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 21:28
Thanks Hexgear, what are you testing on, by the way?

I see what you mean - its not even that its too slow when you are in a town its just that the countryside areas are discernably faster. I hadn't actually thought of that I'll try to stabilize the speed in the next release.

I think the character falls a little too slow is that what you mean?

The sky was triple layered actually. A layer of blue and 2 layers of clouds moving at different speeds and with differing UV scaling and your absolutely right about the sea it is double layered. Again shifting in slightly different directions and at different speeds. You can actually set the clipping: Bring up the console by pressing ` and type SETDIST 10000 to increase the distance to 10000 or try with lower amounts. I haven't yet finished the menus to do this as a setting but its there and working.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 22:01
what, u mean my computer specs?

Pentium 4 - 1.7ghz
256 MB Ram
Nvidia GeForce2 Go 16MB DDR
screen res 1024x768 max
Windows XP Home edition

yeah, the character falls kinda slow, wow triple layer sky, no wonder it was so realistic ^_^

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 02:54
Ran OK on
AMD 2Ghz
512mb Ram
GeForce 2
Windows ME @ 1024x768

I had some difficulty with my mouse leaving the play area and inadvertantly activating my start menu whilst playing, i've no idea what all that was about.

I agree with hexgear that changes in the framerate where a bit annoying, perhaps a gamespeed compensation routine would help to overcome those issues?

Here's roughly what I do:

All movements and rotations are then *gameSpeed#(1).

The variable gameSpeed#(1) holds a number of 1000 at 1fps, 500 at 2fps, 250 at 4fps, 125 at 8fps, 100 at 10fps, 50 at 20fps, 25 at 40fps etc.

I use a real number because often it becomes necessary to do things like facing#=facing#+(gameSpeed#(1)*.1) so although gameSpeed will never hold a fraction itself, storing it as a real number allows gameSpeed#(1) to be used with variables that do.

-*-

I really like some aspects of this, the buildings are beautiful - you can certainly teach me a thing or too about .bsp use and modelling.

However I felt the matrix was dire and the harsh white fogging really lets the whole thing down.

I know this sounds cheeky, but I wonder what would happen if we mixed your buildings with my terrain system? (http://http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=6603&b=1)

Perhaps an RPG in the making...?

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 04:54
Hi,

thanks for the code. I've got a couple of ideas to sort this problem out actually so next release it'll be sorted.

I had some difficulty with my mouse leaving the play area and inadvertantly activating my start menu whilst playing, i've no idea what all that was about.

Thats my fault - I put it into windowed mode for developing purposes. You won't get that in the finished one as I will put it back into full screen mode.

the harsh white fogging really lets the whole thing down

Fogging changes when you change the view distance - use the console by pressing ` and type SETDIST 10000. You might find that setting a bit less harsh and better. I think what you're experiencing is that I've really brought the view distance in (to compensate for my poor slow work PC)

However I felt the matrix was dire

You're right, in places it is and I still have a few issues with that aspect of the engine.

I know this sounds cheeky, but I wonder what would happen if we mixed your buildings with my terrain system?

Your terrain system is really beautiful looking. I don't think I ever seen anything like it in DB actually and I've been here a long time.

I certainly want to discuss this idea with you. Are you on Messenger? I'm glenncarter84@hotmail.com

Thanks for your comments

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 05:19
I've no instant chat client but i'll set one up to discuss this with you Can you give me a link to the client you use please?

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 09:37
This looks very very promising. It feels kinda like Virtual Reality Studio and that is a good nastalgic feeling to me . I think your world segment loading is a good idea though you might want to make the worlds bigger. It really helps keep the framerate down, plus AI routines later on won't be so CPU consuming. Good job!

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 15:32
I took the liberty of trying them out to see what the effect would be and they do look stunning in this setting.

I'm very keen to talk about the possibilities of this project and see if we can work together. Here's a sample of why i'm so keen: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thane/freescape9.jpg

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 18:47
Wendigo: Thanks for your comments.

PneumaticDryll: It looks cool - we should discuss this sometime soon.

I use MSN Messenger. Heres the link to it: http://messenger.microsoft.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 15:20:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 15:20:28