Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Dark Chip 8 Version 1.3 - Now with Chip 8 Programming Action!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Chip 8 Version 1.3
http://www.geocities.com/kvanza/darkchip8.htm

Two new things this release... one kinda big and one kinda small.

PROGRAMMING WITH CHIP 8
There is now a new option for you to play with on the first screen besides your choice of Chip 8 or Super Chip game lists. You can now choose the third option Boot Chip 8 Rom which will let you program your very own Chip 8 games.

At the current moment you can't save the game you create but you can experiment with it and begin writing some programs. (just jot them down in notepad or with pen and paper...)

Once you have entered your program (Be sure not to make a mistake as there is no undo or delete. Another reason to keep notes for your code.) you can press F3 to run it.

I will be including an option to save the programs you write using the Chip 8 Rom by the next release and will possibly in future releases include a way to edit programs that you save or even any other Chip 8 programs.

BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM CHIP 8
I've also included a text file which contains all the instruction codes used in Chip 8 which you may want to print out for reference if you try to code something. Also please remember that the Chip 8 Rom uses the emulated keypad which is displayed in the readme file.

BUZZ IS OUT. BEEP IS IN.
Oh... and let's not forget the small change for this release. I don't know how many people liked or disliked the BUZZ for the sound but it's changed to a 1.4 kHz tone to make a "beep" sound which is more accurate to the original RCA Cosmac which used Chip 8.

ANYTHING ELSE?
I could continue on how I'm still working on getting more Super Chip games to work and stuff but I took enough time here so go on and download the new build and try some Chip 8 code on for size.
Blade
Can you do that???
Why not?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:53:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:53:26