Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Maya to DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone know a way to get models, textures, and animation from Maya to DBPro? I can get a .X exporter for Maya, I think. Any suggestions if that doesn't work?
P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, don't all come run at once I did find something interesting if anyone's interested.

http://www.quakerally.com/files/md3export.shtml

That site has an MD3 exporter, so does anyone know if I can turn an MD3 into an .X?

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 09:58
The way i get maya models into x is to export the maya scene into max then export it to x.

Maya to max, using fbx plugin (www.kaydara.com), and then pandaexporter to .x

- Kjetil
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 14:04
DB comes with a 3ds to x plugin, and pro has a command to change it I believe.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I don't have Max So, I figured it out perfectly. I go to Maya, model and texture with automatic mapping. Export as OBJ file, go into Milkshape. Load the obj, reapply the texture (which seems to fit as perfectly here as it does in Maya) and animate in milkshape. Then export the .X from there. Flawless I tell you! Thanks peeps.

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 15:28
on the downside your only doing the modeling job in maya...what a waste of resources. Couldn't you just model in milkshape to. Hell of a job texuring with automatic mapping.

- Kjetil
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2003 15:57
-on the downside your only doing the modeling job in maya...what a waste of resources

What a waste of money too...How much did you pay for that license?

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
I use it at school, btw, waste of resources?!? Considering I do a lot more with it than low-poly modelling for a game, it's fine with me. Also, Maya just happens to be one of the best modelling AND texturing tools I know of (speaking on opinion) ... my models quality depends on how well I know the software i'm using. And I know Maya well. As for automatic mapping, no different than unwrap. Easy as pie. I made a fully textured (crappy) model of a man in an hour. Nobody here can afford this kind of software, lol, but if you're a student ... you're set

paopow
Years of Service
User Offline
ok peps,

if you want to export from maya with animation data and texturing info. go here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/directx.asp

then click on to the "DirectX 9.0 SDK Extras - Direct3D Tools" and download that. It has a Maya to .x exporter so you can get most of the info from maya that you need. one thing, do not use inverse IK for animations. It will not export. You have to use Forward IK. Which is basiclly keyframing the bones directly. You can use inverse ik but you will need to bake the bones and delete the ik afterwards. Hope this sets everyone straight.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
very interesting!

Toughest line of codecol$=asc(left(Pcol$)),1+str$(rev)+chr(80)+left(right(mid(name$),1),1)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 00:51
paopow i'm hopeing you mean don't use IK use FK instead, but i'm sure he understand.

the exporters created generally only work with Maya Complete or Unlimited (and specific versions 2.5/3.0/4.0/4.5/5.0) ... so if you school has Builder or PLE then it is likely you'll have to edit the exporter quite alot before use.

This goes for the animation exporting, all of the Microsoft Exporters are AS-IS Beta's ... with the full source, as you're suppose to learn from them and create your own exporter with the features your require.

as for using it as a modeling package... thats what its there for - Game Modeling/CGR/Presentation Media/Interactive Media CDs/etc...
its a full package, if you know howto use it - and MayaC certainly allows you to achieve alot more than you can in any of the competitors

hey has anyone used the new nVidia Shader Scripter "ShaderC" or something like that? i know KG has cause we were talking about it before my holiday

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Testing to see if that DX9 one works for my cause ... as i imagine it will ... well. Thank you much!

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Ack, I don't think this is gonna help Maya 4.5 Unlimited (which is what I believe we have) is it?

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 08:40
I'm a student, a poor poor student, that is.

use ik if you like, but as said earlier, key the bones, not the ik's.

But I don't get it, how can you paint a real texture by using automatic mapping as referance (unless your using deep paint or something close). I certanly cant tell wich face is where by looking at it.

- Kjetil
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Number them in photoshop, remap them, keep Maya open for reference while you work in PhotoShop. What way would you suggest?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 12:18
i just map the skin like a normal model and export like i would in any other package... cut the UV groups into what you want to be connected, setup the connection edges/points and unfold letting Maya take care of all annoying stuff.

last time i used it there was one called Connection UV, which after you unfolded and positioned on the UV map you then clicked it and it'd optimise within a square your texture trying to keep like edges together whilst wasting the minimum of space

might've been a plugin though, part of Tucows perhaps - cause i used that alot for trueSpace and Maya a good year ago (^_^)

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 14:05
several planar maps(spheremap the head), move them in the uv-editor, make them fit into the uv-set so they don't overlap. And put the seam where the camera probably wouldn't be facing.

- Kjetil
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 14:17
Best way to close a seam is to let the color plain around the area or cloning parts of the bitmap to these same areas.

If you take a look at some JKII models's textures(Luke's face for instance)you'll notice a few ugly parts when the looking at the image itself,brush strokes at some places and smudges elsewhere so the UVmapping doesn't show any seams...You can even tell they used someone's photo(except for the hair)

Also,notcie how the texture is applied planar...Personally...and so far I've only use planar mapping for whole models and it works fine....Just make sure you don't create massive groups of triangles or if so,make sure they're likely to be oriented in a similar angle,that way you won't get any strecthing.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2003 22:45
thats why i prefer ChilliSkinner alot more to any other Skinner Script or Program, it doesn't stretch the UV Maps much and it exports them nicely

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2003 13:55
Yeah Chili is a great tool,cuts down in the steps you make...Still I go with groups by groups and avergaed normals mapping...That's pretty efficient and fast too.

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2003 00:09
"...the exporters created generally only work with Maya Complete or Unlimited (and specific versions 2.5/3.0/4.0/4.5/5.0) ... "

I cant get the directx 9 exporter to 4.5 only to 4.0

I wish I could install 4.0, but I can't couse I have installed 4.5 And I can't uninstall 4.0 couse I need mental ray to get for rendering jobs.

so I' stuck.

NEED HELP, maya 4.5 .x exporter, please...anyone know of a method?

- Kjetil

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:50:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:50:11