Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Build Game problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 10:24 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 11:23
Hi guys,

Having a few problems when I am building my game.

I have a 4 level demo I wanted to build so that you play through all 4 levels 1 after another. I have previously built each level on its own and tested it and they were all fine.

However - when I try and build all 4, it either hangs when building, or, like I tried last night by leaving it going all night, does nothing. I came back to the PC and it was on the map editor as if it had finished the build - but the game folder hadn’t been created!

Also - the more levels I try and build together, the slower the whole process becomes (I know that may sound stupid, but I mean the time it takes to build 1 of the 4 levels is greatly increased).

If the levels build fine individually - why am I having problems with 4 levels building together?

What happens the day I set it building my 50 level monster???? (I come back home from work and my pc is a puddle)

DAB Studios
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 11:28
- Ooooooh

If this is the wrong forum - please let me know where to post it!

DAB Studios
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 13:30
I don't really know what's the problem.
I have had problems with building game also but problems have been different.
Any ideas guys?

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 14:27
I havent had a problem when I did a 3 level test.

Like I said too - Ive built them all singularly and there was no problem. When I did a 3 level test no problem. But when I did 4 - the computer just ground to a halt (when it was adding objects to the universe). It ran all night (My PC is only a year old - its pretty fast) and then didnt actually output anything. Is this a known bug? Or is it possibly just something Ive done?

Hmmmmm - Its all abit ambiguous really isnt it? If anybody thinks they can help - I shall upload the files???

PS - If anyone is having problems carting your levels about - zip em up and use "Chainsaw" - just found it on the web somewhere (Google it)

Its 100% free and its so brilliant! It chops up your files into as many chunks of any size you want - then creates a BAT file to put em back together - you can even MSN your full games around now! (Although you will have to rename the .BAT file to .txt to be able to MSN it)

Anyway - enough ramblings - Im at work!

DAB Studios
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 18:22
You might want to reinstall FPSC, just make sure you copy all the media folders that you have custom media in (Entitybank, Segments, Gamecore, Texturebank etc.)

When FPSC develops enough, lets make a Redwall game!

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 20:11
As I said I have problems too. I cannot buid demo of my game because
when I try to build game I can't change games name loading screens or anything.
Then when I try to build executable FPSC tilts .

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 09:18
I am hesitant to reinstall as Ive only had the software a week!

I have V1 and the model pack plus some custom segments / entitites.

Build now worked for my 4 level demo (FPSC didnt create the folder I wanted and stuck it in the default Mygames folder) - except when I tested it, after I completed the 2nd level it went to the "new game, exit game" menu screen...........

So I put that down and tried to build a new level (take a break from that one).

Built a new level, tested it, worked fine, went to build it - builds it all then just before it saves all the media to the specified folder - I get an "Object does not exist" error message.

So Im looking at 2 problems now:

1) Object does not exist at end of build (havent added any new media that hasnt worked on any other build)

2) My 4 level test demo goes back to menu screen after 2nd level.

Any help much appreciated.

Reinstallation is a LAST LAST resort - as surely I shouldnt have to reinstall the product weekly to get it to run. I havent seen any other forum threads RE constant reinstallation. Its a clean installation with the model pack 1 just installed.

morning all

DAB Studios
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 10:41
and thanks for the help sunflash

DAB Studios
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 03:46
lazy. Just reinstall.

Do you know where the game folder is?
Also, try compiling separtely, remove the levels folder, change the levels name, and put the files folder together.

I'll get the ini info latter. but I don't have a multi on hand.

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
[url=ochanicon.gif]
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 10:31 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 14:51
Yes I know where the game folder is, its where I put all my lovely custom media. (Why did you ask?)

Apologies for appearing lazy, its only been installed a week and its not like Ive been poking around with any of the original files (at all).

Can i ask a question? Have you guys had to reinstall this sucker a few times then? I'll get it reinstalled when I get home.

Merranvo - so I can build the levels seperately and compile at a later date? Thats sounds like a great idea.

DAB Studios
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 01:28
yeah, you just need to rename the levels right, and copy the folders together...

There is some INI editing too, but that should be it.

As this forum sufferes n00b attacks, I need to ask the obvious before getting to the problem.

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
[url=ochanicon.gif]
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2005 09:12
Cool man -

Havent had chance to reinstall yet, busy with work, but will do so hopefully tonight. I still think theres a problem as I am getting different error messages when leaving the game to build.

So if I copy the respective mapbanks into the built game folder structure, then add the necessary lines in the setup.ini file? I had a peek after reading your post quickly last night - the maps used in the exe. are just listed at the bottom of the file yeah? Can I just add some extra lines with correct links to the maps in the mapbank folder?

Hmmmmmm - Sounds good, will give this a try after work.

Thanks for your suggestions Merranvo.

DAB Studios
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2006 18:17
Merranvo -

I did as you suggested.

Tried a build game on all the levels at once(knowing the levels would get messier as they built later on - I think this maybe a CPU issue, even though my PC is pretty high spec when the build game is running the CPU is at 100% ALOT, I think it may get a bit 'tired' by the later levels and possibly makes mistakes)

Then I recompiled each level seperately - renamed the appropriate zip files and then copied them over the originals. Ensured all appropriate other files were definitley in the files folder and then didnt have to edit the ini file (as this was correctly created when the original build was compiled).

Now - no probs.

Merranvo your help has made this product 100% better for me - I owe you one buddy

DAB Studios

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 01:27:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 01:27:27