Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Etiquette & Manners

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 17:07
Im sorry to even have to bother writing this;

But Im sorry - its needed.

This forum is a bible to anybody who wants to use this program. The manual is brilliant and sets you off in the right direction - but without this forum there would loads of people sat at home scratching their heads and not getting the enjoyment out of the product that they deserve.

As a semi-n00b, Im trawling through the forums and finding the answers to my probs and learning in the process - which is great and its wonderful to have such friendly, genuinely helpful people out there.

Even if someone drops a bit of "attitude" - as long as the answer is given I can deal with that.

However - I am finding post after post of just ..... abuse?

Proper schoolyard stuff - Its embarrassing more than anything else! Come on! Do you really think anyone is going to help you in the future if your abusive for no reason now?

I dont think some of these people have actually been brought up (or more likely - are still in the process of being brought up).

Didnt your mother tell you, "If you dont have anything good to say - Dont say anything at all".

Happy foruming - please be nice!!

OH - and a please and thank you NEVER hurt anyone (well except that great thank you massacre of 1892)

Mabuggi

DAB Studios
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 17:49
Mabuggi,

Greetings. Your points are all very good ones. It seems to be just a handful of the same flamers, too.

Angry pearls of flaming stupidity are of no use to anyone. If someone asks a legitimate question, they deserve the respect of receiving a legitimate answer.

@ The Self-styled FPSC Gurus,

Please remember that knowledge is power. Don't flaunt it; share it if you got it. Besides, after the learning curve catches up, and improvements are made, your cutting edge "lookey what I can do" knowledge will be all but obsolete.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 02:31 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 02:44
Maybe if you want people to be nicer, using one of your first posts to flame their community isn't a great way of doing this.

Most of the people here are pretty cool. Nobody can be at their best all of the time.

Don't worry, if things get out of hand the moderators will step in anyway.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 08:32 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 08:37
Asking people to be nice is antagonistic?

I was talking about the handful which seem intent on just slagging people off.

Probably just gonna forget about this post now as it seems like its gonna ironically flip into some kind of argument - I dont have time for that kind of stuff.

Sorry.

Cheers Seth Black, and a Merry Christmas to you all. May your games all be violent ones.

DAB Studios
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 13:28
You started it by questioning the upbringing of (unspecified) forum members. It was a bit self-righteous for a newbie.

This community has its moments, but is no worse than most on the web. I wasn't starting a fight, just pointing out the irony of your post.

If your the sensitive type, perhaps the indi scene isn't your deal.

Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 13:38
Okay okay -

I was searching for, instead of blanketly posting and not searching, an answer to a question I was tearing my hair out for ages over - and the only answers I got were fools talking sh*t. Over and over again.

I apologies profusely for appearing self righteous - I am polite and courteous to others and except the same back.

Reading back through my original post I can see your point - it was a moment of "oh come on guys", if you need an answer to something complicated - or help, should I say, and people are just dumping on the topic then who does that help? It was frustration I suppose -

I revoke any statement / comment that has caused you offence.

DAB Studios
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 13:50
Anyone who finds abusive posts should use that button with the little angry smilie, it was added so that people could effectively help the moderators - this part of the forum is something of a moderator wasteland, so it's very much needed here.

The thing is not to take things too seriously, we appreciate the good users here, and where possible take action against the flamers, at least we try to. But it is easy to get annoyed at some of the posts here, just remember that a lot of the users are very young and this is their first experience of an online forum - it takes time for a community to mature.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 14:05
Cheers for that Van-B.

Probably best to delete this thread now - I dont think its gonna serve any productive purpose, and hey, the world wide web could do with a little spring clean....

Apologies for the waste of forum space.

Transient - Sorry for being sensitive - I smoke too much

DAB Studios
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there Mabuggi

I often use some twisted and ironic sense of humour to answer some threads. If I disturbed you in any way, even if it was for you being more sensitive, I am sorry and apologize, even if I don't think the hat suits me.

Neverthless we learn to deal with each other here and in any other forum, people start to know and understand what others answer. I was very frustrated with the way things were going here sometime ago and believe me, this is going nicely now. Some are always nice and quite focused, others are crazy, but in the end, the community is somewhat nice, not the besto, but considering the age of many of the participants, it is sometimes a positive surprise.

Cheers and have fun!

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 14:15 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 14:20
Please don't take my critique to heart. Other people have had the same concerns.

I personally agree with your sentiments to some extent, I just thought you were being unnecessarily harsh.

I am Australian and so am a bit blunt by nature.

This community is relatively new and will take time to settle in - as Van B said.

If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. Most of the RTFM types are long gone.

BTW - If you want to see some frightening posts, go to Geek Culture and do a search for Religion.

Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 14:33
Hehehehe - I dont want you guys thinking Im ultra-sensitive now (Im worried).

I manage an ecommerce business, and its Xmas. Its horrible. Im pulling 11 hour days and have just got FPSC, so im sleeping about 5 hours a night, so I think your right - I think I was just being a bit harsh. (Bit toooo eager to learn more I think)

Vlad - never read a post of yours that has offended, nor your good self transient, and to be fair, the guys I was complaining about have probably been binned.

Again - apologies for the rant, the soap box has been smashed, modelled, textured and fpe'd.

Happy xmas guys.

DAB Studios
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 15:37
I think your intentions are correct, Mabuggi. I hit that 'angry little smile' button yesterday to report some pretty bad abuse in the media forum (melee crowbar/bottom of 1st page). Doesn't look like anybody got the messege, because the profanity and threat is still there.

That was about the worst thing I've seen on here; and seeing that there are children who frequent these forums, something should be done about it.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 16:23
Thanks Keith, ive seen a lot of your work on here, its amazing stuff.

Just saw that dudes comments, eeeek!!

I cringe when I see my original post though - it is more than a tad holier than thou, and I can appreciate why I may have rubbed a few people up the wrong way.

Note to self: Dont paddy on the forums (slap)

DAB Studios
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 16:58
Just found that thread you mention, and have taken action. It's only Rich that has access to the 'offensive' list (for now at least).

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 18:01
Good deal, thanks for acting so quick, Van B

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 23:44:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 23:44:25