Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC EA :: More 'Professional'?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 22:13
Now, I know the EA had many drawbacks - no physics, multiplayer ect.

But recently I've thought about how professional the games made with it seemed compared with V1. While the sounds weren't as good and such, which may seem less professional, it seemed more - complete or sturdy. Does anybody else get this feeling? I think V1 feels a little incomplete and quite a bit buggy compared to EA. It may sound weird but I really think that it felt more professional & complete.

The output games felt a little more like a game opposed to a WIP like they seem now. Anybody think the same? Or am I just in my own world...

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
http://www.irwinsoftware.com/ww3
Screenshots on Site! Demo Coming Soon!
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 22:30
uhh. no. not really. Well since the EA ran really slow, and my computer is running slow(its a dell that sucks it has a celeron prosessor)it was not a very good match. I like V1 because I can atually run it smoothly. But I understand what you mean.

I have a Xbox 360!! XBL Gamertag: Ub3rwigg3t
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 22:50 Edited at: 1st Jan 2006 22:53
Conner94,

You are correct to some extent in your findings.

EA had many of the problems that V1 has and some including some important show stoppers such as the world object limit fixed.

V1 has the obvious additional major features of Physics and MP both of which could have in theory added a degree of professionalism to any game made with the product - both have been poorly implimented in as much as they are either bug ridden or cause more problems than the worth of it. MP for instance is basically unusable and the physics system causes major problems in many areas. Not to mention things like ladders were removed because of it. These I have had to reimpliment myself as I cant wait for TGC to do anything about it. I also have to overcome all the other difficulties Physics throw up which did not exist in EA.

Many of the issues and problems which users of the EA software then and now encounter in V1 on a daily basis - library probs, fps, Poly clipping, lag, AI think time and AI movement and response itself, compile and so on never had TGC priority during the time I Beta tested V1 and so were never addressed in priority to other things and additionally from the point of the final Beta testers involvement to final release of FPSC the product deteriorated to a point that I can say the final release was not how it was at final Beta test version. Why I know not I can just say how I have found it.

Overall theres little important difference except Physics and MP if you find the inclusion of those helpful and not hindrance and its hard to say if V1 has more issues and bugs - I would say yes personally, though in truth - its as much a question of some being fixed and others having crept in perhaps as a result without the time for to secure a fix.

Really its out of the frying pan into the fire.

As to the WIP thing - I guess now that V1 exists some users at least are really now trying to get on and produce a real game with the product when they were not so determined to produce that kind of end result with the EA version. Of course this is a long term undertaking. Add to this the fact that making a real game with original content at least and to some extent even with the default media in V1 is much harder than most could ever imagine by simply looking at the product from the potential gamemaker viewpoint when looking to possibly use the product in doing so before purchasing it and actually attempting to do so.

The difficulties in achieving a finished professional type game are enourmous and few will ever succeed. From that point of view most will give up while their game is WIP for numerous reasons not least of all the fact that FPSC is just not a productive tool in those circumstances and lacks the finished polish to do so.

Many will disagree of course and so I at least wait to see some completed games in the showcase forum that I can change my opinion of the product.

All of that does not stop us users trying of course cos we love what we do - we must do I guess and when someone suceeds in showing us all what can be done with FPSC in making a full game then we can all be inspired to further enhance our efforts.

EDIT : And yes I would agree with MaddA ChieF that overall V1 runs a little faster than EA - perhaps a couple of fps - though much of that in my case is down to my working very hard to eliminate leaks, redesigning levels unecessarily as I see it when serious lag occurs and so on. So most speed improvements are down to nothing more than sheer hard work on my part and not engine improvements.

Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 03:13 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 03:14
Quote: "While the sounds weren't as good and such, which may seem less professional"

3 Words: Import Own Sounds.

Oh and it seems less professional than EA? Edit the source code.
You want ladders? Edit the source code. The ladder model/texture is already included, and the Climb animations too. (New and EA's)
FPSC's media looks unprofessional? Import your own.

This is why TGC released the source code, to make FPSC more realistic and seems professional. Also, this is why TGC let you import anything, to make your games realistic and seems professional.

Also, you don't like the Multiplayer? Edit it with the source code or don't use it.

It's that easy. Skalex

Skalex - Nobody can ear you scream ... you're on a forum!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 04:27 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 04:31
Quote: "It's that easy"

Again not a sensible statement. Making a complete game with FPSC using all your own media is not at all "Easy". No one will find it easy and again for anyone to support this theory we have yet to see one - anyone care to show me such a game made with non default media to prove that its Easy.

Easy to say - Not I suspect quite so Easy to do - thats just not true. The word Easy is used flippantly and is out of context completely.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 05:12
Quote: "3 Words: Import Own Sounds.

Oh and it seems less professional than EA? Edit the source code.
You want ladders? Edit the source code. The ladder model/texture is already included, and the Climb animations too. (New and EA's)
FPSC's media looks unprofessional? Import your own.

This is why TGC released the source code, to make FPSC more realistic and seems professional. Also, this is why TGC let you import anything, to make your games realistic and seems professional.

Also, you don't like the Multiplayer? Edit it with the source code or don't use it.

It's that easy. Skalex"

Oh thanks for the oh so great statements. For your information, I DO edit the source code, and I HAVE imported my own sounds. I'm just saying how certian things are with FPSC's DEFAULT stuff. And I never said I didn't like multiplayer, in fact I plan to expand it. And I never mentioned ladders.

Quote: "It's that easy."

And I agree with uman completely on that statement.

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 18:10 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2006 18:11
Sorry I didin't mean to sound like that about the "It's that easy"... ^_^'

It's that easy means that it's easy to know how to make it more realistic and professional-looking.

Quote: "And I never said I didn't like multiplayer, in fact I plan to expand it. And I never mentioned ladders."

That part was directed to uman, who mentioned MP and ladders.

Quote: "I'm just saying how certian things are with FPSC's DEFAULT stuff"

That's the idea. TGC made FPSC expandable because they know FPSC's default media will be used a lot, so the games will be all the same.

Quote: "For your information, I DO edit the source code, and I HAVE imported my own sounds."

i hope.

But, i think V1 is more professional-looking than EA. Just look the walking system.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2006 20:37
The model animations are better. I'll see If i can whip the old EXE up, and see how well it runs.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 02:38
Oh ya -the animations are way better

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 03:58
WAAAAAAYYYY Better lol... the breathing is a great change too

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 23:18
Oh ya! They used to look like they just came from a 6 mile run or something!

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 01:16
But they had...
PUSH BUTTON!!! (My Melee animation)

And a million other animations, heck, you had so many animations you COULD make cutscenes.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 03:55
That's very true

It did have a lot more animations! I was actually quite ashamed to find that they removed alot of animations - lean left/right were some of them, right?

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 04:09
Yeah, it was the worst thing lee did.

2 MORE DAYS!

Merranvo, The Cool One

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 16:12
Quote: "2 MORE DAYS!"

For what?

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2006 18:36
Untill scotty finds out about me and pheona . Sorry babe, it was good while it lasted.

Your signature has been erased by a mod

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 01:24:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 01:24:15