Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / FPSC Advanced Version 1 - Please Read on

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I just downloaded the download version of FPSC since I am waiting for the full version to arrive. I having been looking at it, and I am thinking of actually making an "advanced verions". This would have scripts that would completely change gameplay with FPSC. The scripts will include and are not limited to:

1. Vehicle Control
2. Allies System
3. Talking Enemies
4. Gun Turrents
5. Save/Load System

I am developing it right now, and it should take a while. I am pretty new to FPSC, so I will be asking questions along the way. What do you think?

Hey, I am a total noob to DBP, so if you would be kind enough to just help me along. I'm good with FPSC though, just learning DBP now.

Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I'm interested. I think Cellblock is working on somthing like this with Riker 9. Thank you.

Dog

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 02:08
Given an A for effort!!!
But Given an F for n00bism.
If this is a DBP update, then I apologise.

USING FPI SCRIPTS:
3. Talking Enemies
4. Gun Turrents
Totally possible, totally easy, totally done.

1. Vehicle Control
2. Allies System
Totally Hard, Totally Buggy, Impossible on a natural level.

5. Save/Load System
Totally IMPOSSIBLE.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 04:40
@Merranvo
I can't disagree on this one.
Hear here.

Whatever you can imagine, you can animate. --- Walt Disney
All too easy. --- Darth Vader
Just do it! --- Nike
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 15:26
Quote: "I am developing it right now, and it should take a while. I am pretty new to FPSC, so I will be asking questions along the way. What do you think?"

I think you should first get to know FPSC and it's limitations, before starting such ambitious projects either have been done already or that CANNOT be done at all.

As pointed out, Talking Enemies and Gun Turrents are there already and the others will be near to or completely impossible.

I suggest thinking of a project that can be done and has not been done already..... much more rewarding.

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
Exceter
Years of Service
User Offline
They may be impossible to do with scripting. But you want to make real changes you need to manipulate the game engine itself. Scripting languages are fairly limited and slow your game down considerably.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
@FPS mastermind.
Not really a mastermind are you? lol anyways, don't do it. Celblock studios is doing this: Riker 9! So just wait for Riker 9.
FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I can tell you that they can be done. For vehicle systems, you just have to make it so if the player is colliding with the vehicle and he presses a button, his guns are hidden and the vehicle follows a point in front of the player. Not the best control, but it gets it done. For allies, it is quite similar. And with the save/load, why are you telling me it cannot be done if it is being done in Riker 9?

Hey, I am a total noob to DBP, so if you would be kind enough to just help me along. I'm good with FPSC though, just learning DBP now.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 16:42
Do you Program?
Do you KNOW how to Program?
Do you have DBP?

Merranvo, The Cool One

FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Do I program? Yes, I have programmed before with C++ for fun, I have made games with VB and I contribute some of my work on gamedev.net. I am new to FPSC so I would like to get used to the scripting system and find out how to work some of the controls that are very poorly documented in some parts.

2. Do I KNOW how to program? Yes. I have programed some console applications (not game consoles) for multiplayer server code with C++. I have also made some games and SQL Server apps with VB and VC#

3. Do I have DBP? Yes again, I have had it since November 2004 and I have used it for a few small things and about three complete games. I am just completely new to FPSC and I am not used to the development environment and the mediocre documentation.

FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
Merranvo: Your an idiot. You are such a jerk to people, so stop it.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 18:34 Edited at: 7th Jan 2006 18:37
Why did you join in 05 if you had it since 04?

The point, as many people would have told you, was that you can't script the other half of what you want. Modification of the engine is nescessary. Hence, I asked 3 questions to see if you were up to it. Although, some things aren't as "simple" as you try to put it.

Merranvo, The Cool One

FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
No kidding, but it is a basis to what I will be programming. You seem to be too caught up in flaming people that you cannot even lend any help. Oh, and I never really needed help from the forums until I was at this point and I really never thought of joining before.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 21:45
Quote: "Why did you join in 05 if you had it since 04?"

Who cares? I've got lot's of software which I never even visited a forum for and I could care less about visitng a forum about it.
I've been using TrueSpace from version 1 for example and I have yet to visit their forums.....

Quote: "You seem to be too caught up in flaming people that you cannot even lend any help."

Right on.

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 22:57
Sounds great

Keep us updated
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2006 23:04
Hello Ben A, nice to see you.
Since you don't understand what a "Flame" let me explain.

A Flame is one or more statments that insult the reader/oponent of the flame. Flames typically inclued excessive cursing, and often have many miss-spelled words. A flame may contain no information that is useful in anyway, but it MAY encorporate elitism. Typically in flames, the writer will stick around and post more flames, either to simply bump the thread, or to flame a user some more.

Smart Flames, these are flames made by witty people. Smart Flames often are direct and contain no gramatical or spelling mistakes, also vulgar language is often not seen in such flames. Unlike regular flames, smart flames are typically directed at a single individual because of an action that individual has made. For an example, just go down to the WIP Board and look in any of the locked threads.

Now, if you call asking a question that changes the perspective of the thread a flame, then point to me where that is so. If you my call repling to your flame (the words "Idiot" and "Jerk" are vulgar language) a flame, then show me where. But your thread said "This would have scripts that would completely change gameplay with FPSC. The scripts will include and are not limited to".

Look even at your first post, it said nothing about making a DBP Upgrade. And to further the fact that I wasn't flaming you, the only time I used an Insulting word (n00bism) I put "If this is a DBP Update then I apologise".

@Ben A, You know you are replying to a thread which you offered no help.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2006 00:53 Edited at: 8th Jan 2006 00:56
Quote: "No kidding, but it is a basis to what I will be programming. You seem to be too caught up in flaming people that you cannot even lend any help. Oh, and I never really needed help from the forums until I was at this point and I really never thought of joining before."

This was quite unfair. Merranvo does have a peculiar way with words, but if he is not the most helpful guy here, I don't know who is.

You'll have to work on FPSC-Engine code to do what you propose, mate. More people are working on it, and if I'm not mistaken, have shared code with one another.

Go to the FPSC Chat and check the Riker 9 and Riker 9: 101 threads, most info will be there, maybe you can find or offer help.

One more thing you said:

Quote: "Do I have DBP? Yes again, I have had it since November 2004 and I have used it for a few small things and about three complete games. I am just completely new to FPSC and I am not used to the development environment and the mediocre documentation."

And just a bit bellow, in you signature:

Quote: "Hey, I am a total noob to DBP, so if you would be kind enough to just help me along. I'm good with FPSC though, just learning DBP now."

Take it easy with the steam blow-off, or you will just contradict yourself, please. There's more to win in another way.

Good luck

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
That is an old signature. Sorry about that. I just put it on so I would not be flamed. I was never that great with DBP, but it was because I never really spent much time with it.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want to work on those thing you said in the opening post, you have to really dig in DBP.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
FPS Mastermind
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been doing that. I am making an FPS in DBP right now too, so I figured that I would check out FPSC. I really think that the documentation is not the best, and it is not a very expandable tool. I have found that some tasks are hard to perform with this software. I have really started to get into programming with DBP about 2 months ago. Everything is starting to come together now. I have programmed with harder languages before, but I still find that there is a lot to learn to master even the simplist of languages because you have to just get used to some of the task and the capabilities that the software can do.

Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 16:07 Edited at: 11th Jan 2006 16:08
I say good luck to you man. If you can do it - please share your results.

Eeek - careful with havin` a go at Merranvo tho -

If your gonna be delving into FPSC I guarantee you'll need his help.

Any genuine 'enhancements' with FPSC would be approached with loving arms.

And your right on the documentation - its a little thin, and hence this forums inordinate activity. Hence, watch the tones with those who have the knowledge you need.

Mabuggi

(Welcome to the mad house dude)

Oh - and Im just getting into DB Pro - ace isnt it?)

DAB Studios
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 19:33
Yea, carful with Merry, he can be a bit of o bag of hoes, but he's a
good soul(less deamon) at heart.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 17:39
Lol

Bag of hoes?

Thanks for the mental image =ChrisB=.

DAB Studios
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 17:44
You are very welcome.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 01:10
Let this usless boast of a thread die.

Merranvo, The Cool One

shovebot
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't understand what DBP has to do anything with FPSC. Was FPSC created in DBP, and the source code is available upon purchase?

[url="http://www.shovebotgames.com/"]shovebot games: shoving soon![/url]
shovebot
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm! Answered my own question. That is rather odd... but not too much of a problem since it seems FPSC is free for DBPro users (with the exception of pre-made game content, but really... any way you're going to make your own commercial-quality game is if you have your own content).

I don't see why they haven't done this on DarkGame SDK rather... wouldn't that have made the engine run faster?

[url="http://www.shovebotgames.com/"]shovebot games: shoving soon![/url]
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 00:26
FPSC isnt free to dbpro users....

just the engine is, and without the editor, its quite useless...

all though with a lot of work you could make it into a game, its not really worth it.

plus this guy doesnt know what he is talking about.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2006 02:16
Given the engine, you can reverse engineer the editor, although it is completly illigal and is outlined as such in the code.

Merranvo, The Cool One
Noob Justice League, Cause We Have More Fun
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't see why they haven't done this on DarkGame SDK rather... wouldn't that have made the engine run faster?"

In logical terms yes, pratical terms, probably not. I'm writing from the top of my head, but I think there is a problem with culling, therefor the FPS would still be rather lowish.

I've thought of this thing "FPSC engine with DGSDK" since I got my hands on DGSDK, but honestly I think the work would just be overwhelming.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 17:39
ya, it took TEH LEE 2 years...i wouldent even want to attempt writing that engine in another language.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
There's not much of a difference between DBP commands and DGSDK commands and Lee did most of the work. It would never take two years doing because it would be like "translating" from DBP to DGSDK. I have no idea what other things would be needed since I don't know the enhancement pack for example. But it is doable to someone that takes the time to study the actual code and implement it.

On the other hand, the problem with performance would probably never be solved with it, so it's pretty much useless in my opinion.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 20:50
we can always write it in binary...that would solve speed issues

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 20:54 Edited at: 17th Jan 2006 20:59
Nope, you'd still have the culling problem. So you'd still have THE problem. Some speed could be gained sure, but would it reach a considerable steady FPS? Probably not.

One thing that might get some improved response would be the scripts I imagine. Guys could seriously overload a script in order to improve it, have a load of enemies around you and probably the speed to make all the decisions would not suffer, quite the opposite.

But I'm speaking from what I've read here, don't take if for granted. It's mere theory.

edit: actually, I think CB implemented a delta time to get higher FPS when he started to ramble on Riker 9, so it would be more hardware dependant than the actual FPS if that code was used in the translation. Still and even if I love the possibility and the discussion around it, I would never do such a thing. I think someone needed a very high level of motivation to get in such a quest.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:18:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:18:31