1) STOP ASKING WHAT IS 'THE BEST' 3D MODELER!!!
OK, theres only one way to put this.
YOU AND ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE WHAT "THE BEST" PROGRAM IS, BECAUSE IT IS YOU WHO WILL BE USING IT!
That said, any 3D Modelling program can create sweet guns/people/houses/planets/whatevers as long as you are skilled at the modeller. You cant be in the mindset that "Expensive 3D Modeler = Easy to Create SWEET Models" If you are, your very, incredibly wrong. In fact, its more along the lines of the opposite. The industry standard modelling tools are usually much more complicated than basic modelers. You can create any kind of model in ANY kind of modeling program, IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR SKILL.
Posts asking if X is better than Y, or which program should be used to make Z (unless it has some valid questions that arent skill based) will be locked and the poster will have some sort of punishment, depending on the extent of the post and how much of this post was ignored.
2) STOP ASKING FOR 3D MODELLING PROGRAMS!!
Read the title, there are about 4 billion threads about 3D Modellers. The search option WORKS!! Its at the bottom of every page, use it to your advantage. Future threads like
Where can I find a Free 3D Modeller?
Whats the best n00b modeller?
Where can I download 3D Models?
I need the greatest 3d Modeller ever for fREE!!11
Will all be immediatly locked with a reply such as 'Use the search feature.' The post will also be newbie slapped for a couple hours (where your posts go on post approval)
Im getting tired of seeing the front page filled with the same post over and over again. There are sticky threads that have bunches of 3D Modellers in them!!!!
Remember, Google can ALWAYS be used to find free modelling sites.
3) WARNING ABOUT "MODEL REQUEST" THREADS (By adr)
This particular board is quickly turning into the overflow area for 'Team Requests'. I imagine 90% of people on this forum have problems with modelling, and the less patient patrons seem to be coming here.
I'm hoping rather naively that newbies will read this post and think twice about their approach, or even their project's requirements. I'm not a modeller my any stretch of the animation. But here, in this post, I'm sympathising with those who might have given you a grumpy reply in the past....
1. Credits. They don't mean sqaut. Being credited in a game might
mean something if your game ships 3.5 million copies, but something tells me (grammar, spelling, your general programming experience and ... let's be honest, your choice of language*
) that it's unlikely. In summary, "credits" imply that the modeller will gain noteriety through the popularity of your game. Therefore, if you're game is a pile of crap, the modeller has wasted their time and gained nothing... except for a new friend on MSN.
2. Free. You are asking someone to spend 2 or 3 weeks working on something for very little in return (see above). I'm not sure on the specifics of the time scale, but keep in mind that plenty of people here have day jobs. You know, working for a living?
3. Speed. You're assuming it's easy. No really, you are. By the fact you say "I want a bloke, animated and textured" you're trivialising the process - I'll switch it up for a little example here. I want a full accounting system for a finance customer which integrates into Excel. C'mon, I've told you what I want so I'm going to post 3 times a day asking where it is. If you are able to provide concept drawings, or even better, reference pics, I'm sure people would be more willing. Grabbing a screenie from an existing game and saying "do it like this" will just annoy people.
I have tried for quite some time to learn how to model and texture. I've been using wings, ultimate unwrap and PSP as a collection for modelling for 12 months now. And I still can't do it. And animating is my arch nemesis. I just can't do it (rigging specifically).
For me personally, I would use freebie models (3dcafe) without textures or animations just as place holders until you're 2/3rds through your game. At which point I'd start considering the snazzy graphics.
Make sure you read this thread, and obey to the guildines posted here, or your in for a world of flaming and most of your threads will probably end up locked/deleted and you will be slapped silly and/or banned for a short period of time. Abide by these rules and life will continue on as merrily as before