Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / MPL3D Solar System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
wow this is awesome
Dude you are my idol
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 23:44
morcilla, do you plan a definitive release of your simulation?

[img][/img]
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 10:32 Edited at: 17th Dec 2010 10:35
@CuCuMBeR, thanks for the link, come around anytime.

Quote: "You might do some planet landing with your software."

Yes indeed, I have vague plans for integrating a planetary lander, although that's out of scope at the moment, maybe in a hopefully future

@noobnerd, thanks a lot, you ain't seen nothing yet

Quote: "morcilla, do you plan a definitive release of your simulation?"

@Ermes, yes for sure. Although the spaceship is already playable, there are some details pending, like joystick support, user customizable sound and animation playing, output some data for the spaceship and solve some minor issues.
Then comes packaging for distribution and release.

I estimate one month and a half for this (I hope it doesn't come to the 'multiply by two' rule), so if you want to finish the Columbus texture, you are still on time. If you don't have the time, don't worry, I understand that you are releasing as well, and I already appreciate what you did. I'll polish the little details if needed

Another pending module would be the 'spaceship editor'. This is a set of screens that allow and help the user to prepare a custom mesh for being used as the spaceship.

I have thought about writting the spaceship editor in DGDK.net.
If any DGDK.net programmer is reading this and wants to give it a try, I will be wanting to pay a fair price for a base version, via paypal. Just get in touch.

A basic version of the spaceship editor can be done in a matter of days for an average .net programmer, while a more complete version could take a few weeks.
Requirements are easy: Open, read and save text files, use of windows common forms for path selection, and ideally setup a viewport where the mesh can be seen, and information regarding positions can be visually selected.

Nevertheless, the spaceship editor module can be added anytime, it is not strictly needed, and it should run alone, regardless of the main simulation.
Users still can manually add spaceships at anytime by editing the text files, although they must have a better understanding, and also it requires more effort.

Once everything is ready and safe, eventually I'll get back to my planet with the spaceship.

Here you can see the new parametrizable position lights and the nebula lighting:

If you want to see more pictures like this, just visit the MPL3D Solar System Facebook page.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 12:56
nice effect, i hope you will not be affected by the "multiply for two" rule!!

[img][/img]
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2011 11:03
Last part of 'All planets of MPL3D Solar System' can be watched now:

All MPL3D Solar System planets - Part 3/3:

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2011 17:03
A new official video, made with the WIP version(1.3):

Travel from the Sun to the Earh at the Speed of Light

Enjoy

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 02:09
nice to see the nasa-columbus in action!

great video.

Ciao facce da sedere!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 21:11
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 20:38 Edited at: 26th Jul 2011 19:05
Thanks Ian

I've been too much busy and the priority of this project has been lowered. Fortunately, that doesn't mean that it is not going to be finished. There are 50k new lines of code for v1.3 update that are no way going to the trash.

And so, let me introduce you some of the latest images. Some globular star clusters textured using public domain images from Nasa/Esa. These are the most spectacular ones (click to enlarge):

Until now, there where only two generic textures for two main globular cluster types. Now each one will have its own texture.

Textures for galaxies have been updated as well, I'll be posting them eventually.

Any feedback is welcome, as always

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 19:18 Edited at: 10th Aug 2011 19:21
MPL3D Solar System appeared in a live performance by SpaceTheater, in the city of Tokio, in a cyberpunk videogame bar called 'Raid=gig'

They used video in HD resolution projected on 90inch screen with 21st century cinematic electronic dance music:

Here is the link: http://nipppper.smugmug.com/Ev​ents/LED-Live-Erectronic-Delig​ht/18398097_dvfWg3#1418282357_​4K2ZTZk

We are very proud, so many thanks to SpaceTheater, and our friend Naoto, for using our software.

Now, to post some advance, this one goes for the gamers, click on the picture to go to the gallery:

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 14:09
MPL3D now has it's own listing on the ADG Games & Applications website here: MPL3D on ADG!

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 19:49 Edited at: 12th Aug 2011 20:23
Hey thank you so much, that page looks cool! Love it

But...I'm afraid that the chosen image is... too cool. It belongs to v1.3, and it has not been released yet, sorry

So I guess that to change it would be the right thing
If you need me to supply any media, just let me know, also please let me know my duties as a member, if any

I have a feeling on ADG site, you are doing things right.
Many thanks again for all

[Edit: Maybe I should remark that there is no spaceship at all in v1.2, that is, the Quantum version available in the AppUp store. But the picture you choosed looks great in that page. Oh well.]

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 15:26 Edited at: 17th Aug 2011 03:23
Mmm, MPL3D seems to be coming along nicely....

....actually I have no idea. The last version I downloaded was several months ago. I have such a slow internet connection I have to wait till I can get to the library to use the computers there.

But from the screenshots it does look cool.

So did baxslash put it on ADG or did you? If baxslash did it, did he ask your permission first? If he didn't, shame on you baxslash! Plus I found your old avatar easier to recognise (I sort of got used to it after a while but I'm still not sure what it was.....always reminded me strongly of the movie Sleeper).

Keep working of it, Morcilla!

Clonkex

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 10:41
Hi Morcilla, don't worry about the image. It's indicative of the product and close enough for now.

If you want to update it or edit the description then let me know but I'm fine with it.

Quote: "So did baxslash put it on ADG or did you? If baxslash did it, did he ask your permission first? If he didn't, shame on you baxslash!"

Shame on me. I didn't think Morcilla would mind since he's a member of the ADG anyway, also I'm trying to get more people interested in publishing / editing their own articles...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 00:10 Edited at: 17th Aug 2011 03:23
Quote: "Shame on me. I didn't think Morcilla would mind since he's a member of the ADG anyway"

I hope you realise that was a joke and I wasn't being serious....

Quote: "I'm trying to get more people interested in publishing / editing their own articles"

What do you mean?

I just looked at ADG....it's a bit weird and doesn't really explain well enough what it does exactly....ok so it's a site for advertisting the best AppUp games, right?

Clonkex

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 10:15
Quote: "I hope you realise that was a joke and I wasn't being serious...."

Yes, I know

Quote: "What do you mean?"

Currently the site is live and a large number of our members still don't have their games online. I was hoping for more active interest, people wanting to add/edit their own games on there...

Quote: "I just looked at ADG....it's a bit weird and doesn't really explain well enough what it does exactly....ok so it's a site for advertisting the best AppUp games, right?"

Well if a developer is thinking that we need more of an explanation on the front page! Thanks Clonkex, return email on its way today BTW!

Yes it's for AppUp games but with the release of AppGameKit we are trying to make areas for all the different platforms.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 02:59
I wonder if you know of any website like ADG that would advertise standard PC games? I would like to put Rift somewhere on the internet other then the forums when it's finished.

Clonkex

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 10:38
I don't really use any other sites at the moment but there are lots of indie game sites you could upload too. I see Rift is free, why not put it onto AppUp when it's done. Free games do get a lot of downloads sometimes...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 00:19
But isn't AppUp just for laptops/mobile devices? Or can you put normal PC games on there?

I just got portals working so pretty soon you will all have a demo version But the fact that I'm using portals instantly means you will need a pretty decent computer to run it (it still runs 60 FPS all the time on my 9400GT so it's ok at the moment) which basically rules out all but the latest laptops.

Anyway I will finish it first then consider AppUp.

Clonkex

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 10:35
Quote: "But isn't AppUp just for laptops/mobile devices? Or can you put normal PC games on there?"

It's designed primarily for netbooks but you can (and people do) download it for their desktops.

Quote: "But the fact that I'm using portals instantly means you will need a pretty decent computer to run it (it still runs 60 FPS all the time on my 9400GT so it's ok at the moment) which basically rules out all but the latest laptops."

That's not true, unless you are using some kind of heavy shader technique or very complex levels. Your game from what I've seen would not be a problem on a netbook.

Can I suggest we continue this on the AppUp thread so we don't clog up this thread?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177920&b=1

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 10:49 Edited at: 18th Aug 2011 10:55
Quote: "Can I suggest we continue this on the AppUp thread so we don't clog up this thread?"

Ok then, I'll reply there

Sorry for clogging up your thread, Morcilla

EDIT: The link to the reply is http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177920&b=1&msg=2245773#m2245773

Clonkex

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 18:40
@Clonkex, many thanks for your comments

Quote: "So did baxslash put it on ADG or did you?"

I asked for this in the first place, as I saw it announced in the TGC newsletter, then baxslash did the dirty work, and I must say I like the result

Quote: "...means you will need a pretty decent computer to run it (it still runs 60 FPS all the time on my 9400GT so it's ok at the moment) which basically rules out all but the latest laptops.
Anyway I will finish it first then consider AppUp."

I understand your point. I had to limit MPL3D Solar System to make it fit into an Atom, or better said, to remove options that could have made the experience terribly slow. And so, the version for the AppUp is called 'Quantum'. Nevertheless, it has been worthy to prepare this special 'reduced' version, because the Intel store has a good reputation and distribution, and it has allowed me to enrol the Intel software partner program.

Quote: "Can I suggest we continue this on the AppUp thread so we don't clog up this thread?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177920&b=1"
@baxslash, thank you.

Quote: "Sorry for clogging up your thread, Morcilla "

Now don't do that again

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 01:01
Quote: "Now don't do that again"

Lol I won't!

Clonkex

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2011 12:39 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2011 12:56
Uploaded a new image to the TGC Gallery.

I've revised galaxy textures. Here is an example, the looking of the Triangulum galaxy M33 in v1.3:

Attachments

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 17:05 Edited at: 7th Dec 2011 17:07
Uploaded another image to the TGC Gallery.

Planets look now much more gorgeous with the new HDR/Bloom shader:

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 18:17
Fascinating! Excellent work, I'll keep track of this

TheComet

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 17:41 Edited at: 17th Dec 2011 17:43
MPL3D Solar System is now listed in the Intel Software Finder

Attachments

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2012 10:44
I retouched Saturn's north pole to bring it up to date with the latest scientifical data:

It seems that there is a hexagonal storm in the north pole of Saturn

Also please check this outstanding video, produced by young talents out there. It has been done with MPL3D Solar System v1.2:

Let's hope that spirit of exploration never dies, as it lies deep inside the human nature

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Great video. I agree with your message, but NASA has been de-funded. I hope this will open the door for commercial/business ventures to reach out to the planets and moons in our solar system and eventually beyond Sol.

When "big money" gets behind these ideas, the technology will almost discover itself.

Keep up the good work on this project. It looks nice.

The fastest code is the code never written.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2012 10:31
A hexagonal storm? Cool!

Clonkex

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2012 17:26 Edited at: 6th May 2012 17:27
Applied light scattering shader by evolved.
Here is how it looks:

(click to enlarge)

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2012 12:23 Edited at: 9th Jun 2012 12:27
Uploaded a couple of images to the Gallery (click to enlarge):

And there is a new video in YouTube:

MPL3D Solar System - Shadows of Saturn

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 11:44 Edited at: 28th Jul 2012 11:53
Hi,
Made a new video with testing purposes, it shows how other spaceships can be used into the simulation.
Don't miss the final approach to Pluto's moon

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 14:47 Edited at: 28th Jul 2012 14:48
It all looks amazing! There is a lot of awesomeness, and I especially liked the sounds of the suns. There are some good radio sounds of Saturn on the internet, I don't know if you have used them or not.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 18:51
Thanks Pincho, I appreciate your comment
I currently use sounds for the stars only. Planetary sound is somewhere on the list
There are endless ideas for improvements! I just have no time for them all!

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2012 21:27
'Phoenix', a new spaceship for the release version:

Many thanks, and all the credits for the spaceship model, go to Kenny Mitchell. Brilliant job.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 11:23 Edited at: 6th Dec 2012 11:30
A couple of videos showing the lastest spaceship into action:

Travel to Aldebaran
Just some quick flybys, leaving the autopilot to do the hard work, he likes to live dangerously!

Aldebaran low-level flight
Second part of the Aldebaran video.
Crew turned off the autopilot and headed towards Aldebaran surface, which was a very bad decision because the star just began its variable cycle.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2012 12:36
Now introducing MPL3D Solar System Touch

DGDK runs smooth and best than ever in Windows 8!!!

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 12:01 Edited at: 13th Jan 2013 19:00
Please watch this creative composition about the space, made with MPL3D Solar System:

Fusion Limit

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 21:03
Looks really special. Had to increase my brightness, but it really looks special. The music is nice too.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2013 11:05
Thanks Chris

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2013 10:58
New video, Travel to Mars:

Morcilla
Years of Service