Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Netiquette and advice for newcommers.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 16:42
Hi all,

This thread is intended to hold peoples advice to newcommers that might help them get used to FPSC and these forums quicker.

Advice like posting habits, listing helpful applications that you find, or just a useful tip for FPSC are all welcome here.

Any posts that are not offering advice will be removed, please lets keep this thread clean and full of the good stuff.

Over to you guys...

Thanks,
Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 17:08
Use the Search button before posting a question,9 out 10 questions have already been asked and answered so search...

http://www.freewebs.com/ultraplex/index.htm
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 17:27 Edited at: 11th Jan 2006 19:00
The 'Edit' button (located on the bottom-left of your post's window) is your best friend. Please do not post one-liners repeatedly in the same thread. Thankyou

Please post any images or screenshots in .JPG format (NOT .BMP), and try to keep the images at or under 800x600...unless you need to show detail, etc.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you VanB.

Alrigh mates, here goes:

People tend to help more when posts are written to the best of your effort. The use of short language can get you less help.

If you are going to ask for something for free, do it nicely and don't think you have the right to have it. Demanding leads to failure.

Don't react, over-react, or do something in the heat of the situation. You have no idea if people are making a simple joke or if they are flaming... assume they are NOT flaming you and play nice.

Please: do not swear.

Don't pretend you know more. Even if you know more, don't say you do. Looks bad and serves no purpose.

This covers up the basics I guess, but more important, have fun!

V

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 17:35 Edited at: 11th Jan 2006 18:12
The guys with the real knowledge on here can sometimes appear to be funny with you - when they are just using humour. Think before you defend yourself.

Never react to someone elses comments as a knee-jerk reaction, and dont explode on people when you are asking for advice or help.

The search facility or manual trawling through the posts will answer almost all your initial questions, there is a real wealth of information on here.

Please keep your number of posts in a thread to a minimum - use the edit post button in the bottom left hand corner of your message window.

Try a please and a thank you.

We all know that FPSC has certain 'issues'. Please dont use the forum to flame the product - you will be heavily chastised.

And - the manual. Everyone who has FPSC has the manual, whether you have the demo or not.

The manual has all you need to know to get going. Then more advanced features can be found on this forum. SEARCH!!!

Each forum (media / scripts / showcase etc) has a couple of stickied threads at the top. READ THEM. They contain either
A) The rules of the forum ( v v v v v important)
B) FAQ's / Newcomers advice

or both. Read them as a matter of urgency.

And last but not least - welcome one and all.
OH - use descriptive titles for your post too. Not just "help needed please" - instead try "waypoint script problem" or whatever.

DAB Studios
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont ask a question, return in 5 minutes, not see a responce and "HELLO ??!?!!! H E L P P L E A S E ???!!!!"

Ask,and wait. You're either going to get an answer or not. Dont agrevate the situation.

And for those replying? Dont reply if you dont have an answer, such as "sorry, i dont know"
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2006 21:08
[offtopic]
Van B, we won't whine and cry about getting our own sticky, unless, of course, we have a thread that should be stickied. Okay, I won't, I am use to consitantly bumping my own threads.

Also, rename this to "Help Central" It will get more attention, the WORD netequitte just makes me want to ignore it.
[/offtopic]

Although not very well maintained (Mainly because no one will reply), I think that this covers a lot.

WIP: Super FAQ

And because I hated dealing with a similar topic, here is a new rule:
If you have to defend the legality of an action, there is a better chance that it is illigal.

Finally, stop yelling. Yelling includes:
Statments consisting of only bold text
or STATMENTS IN ALL CAPS.

but worse is screaming:
Quote: "
BIG ANNOYING WORDS DESIGNED TO GET YOU FLAMED[u][/u]
"

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 17:25 Edited at: 16th Jan 2006 17:25
Smileys are a really good way of showing how you feel. Use them freely and as often as possible.

Remember..
This is a monkey >
Evil stick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 13:22 Edited at: 17th Jan 2006 13:22
Ya monkey boy, but remeber, don't OVER use them, like this:

Hey doesn anyone have a free model I can use?

A good post otherwise.

FORUM n00b THREAT LEVEL: ORANGE
Some thread revival/spam-Some bad grammar used, stupid questions or answers-No direct flaming
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2006 02:34 Edited at: 21st Jan 2006 02:38
Decal Make is perfect for making...well...decals! I just had to say that somewhere

And remember this is a turtle>

EDIT: And this is a flying turkey>

EDIT 2: I've used alot in this post

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT
http://www.irwinsoftware.com/ww3
Screenshots on Site! Demo Coming Soon!
Shadows Back
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 02:02 Edited at: 11th Feb 2006 02:15
the only way you can sell models is to make them yourself you can not go to websites and download models that other ppl make and try to sell them or claim them as your own work. it is ok to use them in your games but not to sell them in a model pack without permision frome the person who created the model.

Shadow
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2006 22:57 Edited at: 13th Feb 2006 22:58
Well:
Don't swear. Keep your posts nice and clean. Please check your spelling, gramar, punctuation etc. If you have a question, please post it with the topic specifically. Example:
If you need help with a script to make an enemy, shall we say, talk (I know this has been done already), then you should post the topic title as something along the lines of: Does anyone have a script which will make NPCs talk? instead of Need help with a script.
This way, people using the search function will not have to spend literally hours manually going through a load of threads with the title: HELP PLZ or whatever.
Also, if you have a question, be sure to check the manual, and use the search feature-thats what it's there for.
When posting a question, PLEASE be patient for an answer. We do NOT like going into a thread to help someone to find it like this:
POST 1: Hi, Can someone help me with these questions:
<Questions here>
POST 2: HELLO?!?!?!
POST 3: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!?! HELLO IS SOMEONE GOING TO HELP ME OR WHAT???
Doing this will most likely get you flamed and you will probably not get any help at all.
If you see a thread with people flaming others, please do not get involved. If you are going to post something which is off-topic, DON'T POST IT AT ALL. Don't talk to people as if your better than them or you think you know more than them. This will get you flamed like hell. You should treat others whow YOU would like to be treated. If you posted something and then notice you forgot to put something in that post, then use the Edit Post button. We don't like seeing a thread with 4 to 5 posts from the same person in a row. That's just annoying. Read the threads in each section about what should be in it. They are there for a reason-so that n00bs don't post things which should be in another place.
That's about everything I can think of right now...

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Gamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 20:16
Don't claim to be the next Microsoft or Sony. FPSC is no were near that advancedAlso, follows the advice on this page and thou shalt be widely accepted

/.,.\-Meh? Everyone loves fat penguins!
((_ _)) Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
MaddA ChieF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 03:22
Dont post things like "potato" for no reason. Spam.

New Company coming soon - Ubersoft
XBL Gamertag: Ub3rwigg3t
Fps Creator help
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question.
As I can replace the final image of the written program with:

THIS GAME IS FREEWARE
YOU SHOULD NOT HAVEN BEEN CHARGED FOR IT
IT WAS CREATED USING.

Thank

Luciano