Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Physics and Object Weights

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 03:08 Edited at: 12th Jan 2006 03:18
Not quite sure where to post this but here is as good as anywhere. This is probably a question for someone who knows FPSC well.

I have an object that is heavy. I want it to fall from a level above the player downwards close to the player when he gets near to it. This it will do by default when the level starts if it is placed in the level near the player at that time. The object falls and bounces around using the engine Physics. So far so good.

Heres the hard bit :

Now I want the object fall to be controlled so that it does not fall at game load but only when the player gets near to it as its part of a trap.

I set up scene where the heavy object sits one level above the player and place a ceiling below it (above Player) which is destroyable activated by a trigger. When the player triggers the destruction of the ceiling entity above his head the heavy object just sits there floating in mid air and does not fall down wherein lies the problem. The heavy object ignores the laws of Physics.

If the ceiling object is removed from the level the heavy object again behaves correctly as it should and falls taking account of its weight and physical properties.

It seems that is there is anything underneath the heavy object that it falls downwards until it touches it - then the Physics switch off so that when the ceiling/floor below it is destroyed it no longer behaves as if it has any weight and just sits hanging in mid air.

If you place a 3 ton object on a floor then in the real world remove the floor from below it then the object falls down because theres nothing to suport it - Right? Well not in FPSC apparently.

Anyone else experienced this? Your comments are appreciated.

I will go back at sometime and see if I can crack this one but any help might be useful as it may be a long job. Cant think of another workaround at the moment as the scene set up is critical.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 03:30
Spawn it!

Need I say more?

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 04:10
Well I am a bit stupid - you know that.

I thought that everything in FPSC was spawned? as it would not exist in FPSC, but I know what you mean.

Why should one have to Spawn it at any given time other than a default load time? Thats not a question to you but a generalisation. The point being that its just stupid way to have to work. A heavy object with Physics applied which it is by default should simply fall if theres nothing underneath it to support it. If thats what needs doing then FPSC is at fault and its needs changing to real world behaviour by default. I guess its just another Physics bug then or just a silly way of FPSC functioning behaviour relating to the Physics set up by default.

No need to say more then - I will work it out and try Spawning it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:32:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:32:09