Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / MilkShape3D is fantastic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 21:29
If you want an amazing 3D modelling program with fantastic support and features. Download and evaluate MilkShape3D. It's 20$ US to buy. It supports all the popular formats of 3D used in videogames. It comes with a simple texture mapping built in. It converts most popular formats to direct x with ease. This should be bundled with DarkBasic Pro...I wish the developers of DBP and Milkshape3D would get together and work out a bundle.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 22:07
Might help if they spoke the same language perhaps...

That aside, milkshape is probably the best, easiest, and most versitile game modeller about - especially for the price. And increasing partnership between FMTau Labs and Chumblum Software will be showing alot of promise for the near future!

However don't count Milkshape 1.x.x to become anything more than a simple modeling program for basic modelling!
I am aware of Milkshape 2 is in the works, does hold alot of promise ... as well as gameSpace which is finally entering full beta trials

I would recommend Milkshape as a product to get, especially for development groups who cannot afford highend programs.
However it is a pure game model/animator, nothing more or less right now!

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 22:38
Right, it's great for developing 3D models for videogames as I stated a couple of times. MilkSHape3D is not for raytracing, which I never stated it was.

For lowpoly modelling, this program can't be beat. It's 20$, and it does everything you need for 20$. There are fantastic video tutorials by ISO for MilkShape3D. The support for this product is amazing. There are product revisions every other week or so. Plugin support for various formats and so on.

MilkShape3D:
www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

MilkShape3D tutorials:
www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/ blackboard/tutorials.htm

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 00:18
I don't remember stating anything about Raytracing, as i mentioned it is a basic modeller. However it would be wise not to forget such products as Wings3D which is completely open source!

Without the use of splines and booleans it is missing a huge part of modeling!
It does have these under development, but they probably won't be ready for a while...

It is also not a produce for the weak 3D card uses, as the OpenGL engine isn't properly tuned and hasn't really been given much of an update since 1.4.0!

The updates that are released for it are only minor patches, here and there and the newest options within it are still really not 100% reliable or compatible.

Most of the tutorial out there are really more for those who wish to learn than give dessernable skills within the product.
I know its a great product ... and Mete is a good friend, but at the end of the day it isn't really comprehensive enough for people to be given such stigma - I mean I could write a post on how gmax is fanstastic, personally i hate the program and its proffesional big bro ... however it is a fanstasic product none the less or Maya PLE is another one - these ARE proffesional products knocked down. Only downside is no commercial gain is allowed using it. However really there isn't much chance of these product developers ever finding out about the use for such!

Remember that there is no such thing as a standard modelling program (no matter what you read on the discreet site ) and everyone doesn't have to like every 3d program. It should be a case of choosing what you feel most comfortable with... and if you have used Milkshape since before 1.4.0 when its popularity really took off then you would know alot of what is currently used to model is relatively recent (2years) within it!

Should really be a post with all of the model packages and art packages available, probably better for a sticky post.

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 00:40
No it shouldn't be a post with all model packages. This topic was "MilkShape3D is fantastic". It didn't have a topic saying "All model packages great for 3D".

MilkShape 3D is comprehensive enough for anyone who uses DarkBasic Professional. Since the majority of people using DarkBasic Prefessional, are novice programmers, I don't think it's nessisary to confuse them with a feature rich high end 3D graphics package.

For noobies, I think that MS3D is going to give them what they want, for petty cash. Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

I'll check out that Wing3D program. It sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind peeking at the source. My friend knows C++, but I don't.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 01:15
Not to sound out of line here, but no...
Alot of us here right now are seasoned within DB,C,C++,Pascal,VB,Blitz3D ... probably some more, and perhaps we don't know them completely! But just because we're using DBpro doesn't mean we're coding amatures, infact most of us will be relying on that knowlage of other languages to get more out of DBpro than you would think possible.
Basically DBpro now for us is a premade DirectX 8.1 engine which will be improved all the time leaving us to concentrate on more important aspects rather than simply rendering environments and such.
The whole point in the DLL plugin system was so we could edit DBpro to what we need it to be.

As you yourself have come from the DB forums you should understand this fact as well - even though alot of people never saw the potential added to DB when Memblocks and DLL access was given in DarkMatter.

The artists here, if they are new shouldn't be thrown into a single product and told that it is the best. I will probably make my own thread later with all the pros and cons of all of the products i've tried from Softimage to Nendo - really the artist should decide what is best for them.

I think you have missed the point in the free versions of the professional products, they have been released as cutdown - taking out the main confusing stuff from the products leaving them as shell modellers like Milkshape!

I'm not saying that it isn't a great lil product, but understand what i'm saying here is you shouldn't be forcing this one product upon them as they may hate it but feel they have no choice BUT to use it! Kinda like what the games industry is like with Max - you don't know the ammount of artists who actually dispise using the product, but because it is labeled as the "standard" it is there where ever you go!!

Whilst these people still have thier freedom to choose what they use LET THEM - as right now they should be learning 3D and learn to have fun doing it, because if they don't find it fun then no matter what natural talent - they will quit!

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 21:18
I'm not stating, nor have I ever stated that MilkShape3D was the best or even a standard. I stated that it was fantastic, and (without knowledge of free packages like Wings3D) it can't be beat for the price. I did state that I would try Wings3D. I'm not defending MilkShape3D or promoting it. I'm giving people an alternative to Max (an affordable alternative). You want to gripe at someone for praising Max as an industry standard? Gripe at PC Gamer. They're the ones who constantly publish, "So you want to be a game developer" articles.

Poohead
Years of Service
User Offline
i think your idea of listing the pros and cons of all the 3d progams is a great one you should follow through on that

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 09:37
Ms3d export to DX8 is a solution for making BSP maps also.
(not the jt exporter)

x to bsp converter afterwards

It may be smaller because of the programs polycount but still viable in tests.

no website at moment
Crossleo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 06:20
not only fantastic but perfect

that's what i use mostly and i make REALLY good models with it, and guess what? you can even
use it to animate your 3d models on DB v1.13 if you assign joins to every group guess what
thet are in DB?.....if you guessed Limbs you are 100% correct

Crossleo
-------------------------------------
Admin of the Cross entertainment team
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 06:44
i remember myself and bryce making an importer for mesh deformation for the ms3d format should be around somewhere still, noticed alot of mesh deformation demos for db 1.13 have disappeared thou!

Leo... REALLY good models? now i hope thats becuase you've actually improved alot since i've seen you last and not a lil dillusion of grandure

which is a point, man i've gotta upload some new work once i've finished getting phpBB to work - i think people are gonna really get excited about it

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Glenn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2002 01:41
To Raven:

I know you like trueSpace, do you use it for map creation and model creation? Which file format do you export to when using it in DBPro? I tried a demo version of trueSpace, and watched demo videos. And I can see that it can do very advanced modeling.. But it lookes very difficult to use at first. I didn't had a clue what buttons to use or what.. I am very new in modeling, actually i don't model that much at all but i thought i give it a try..

I working on a game that is not low-poly, but not that large areas either. And then i thought using trueSpace to crate the models.. and maybe the detailed levels also..

Do you have any tips on if trueSpace can be used as a level modeller? And the export possibilities with it?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2002 10:39
well i used to use trueSpace for modeling CG/Game Models, was never really suited for such use as its more of a CG tool - but i got my counts lower than most Max users

its not that hard of a product, i'd suggest just getting used to the tools ... the names appear in the bar at the bottom and are pretty self explainitory.

Start with simple blocks and the Boolean Subtraction/Union/Intersection tools, then onces you're confidant with them move onto using Edge,Vertex,Face Tools and finally splines. I could put together a short series of demos to show most howto do it - i've gotta say any one who EVER uses the Booleans in trueSpace will understand my eternal furation with Max and Lightwave with thiers

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:23:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:23:16