Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / The reason something's aren't possible

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 09:04
Now i know many of you are fed up with being asked "how do you get allies?" or "How do i get into a vehicle and drive it?" or "How can i have save/load zones?"

It is obvious...you can't

I'll take "allies" as an example:
FPSC was created in Dark Basic was it not? We code in fpi maker using commands and actions like plrinzone and light1 and so far we haven't got that close to allies...really.

But think of it this way, those commands and actions are actually peices of Basic coding, are they not?

So surely the only way we'll ever get allies, vehicles and save game options is if we code it as Basic code and somehow make it and action or command.

This is probably how riker 9 is achieving (we are told) these fantastic things.

Have i just rambled a lot or am i right?
AE
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 15:38
Both!

Riker 9 IS the source code with all the juicy bells & whistles on that we all want.

Its not reeeaaallly coding in FPSC when you use fpi's, its scripting which is built into the code. These commands are coded into the source as the user-friendly sripts we know and love, ahem.

Mab

DAB Studios
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems that you are messing two things Avenging Eagle: script and the actual code.

The code, is a DBP project, so the things that are to be modified need to be so in the code, then recompiled to a new EXE that will then handle your levels.

The scripts are text files loaded by the engine with commands that are known to the engine.

Writing Basic or DBP commands on the scrips is useless since the engine per se doesn't know what Basic or DBP is. In conclusion, the closer you were to the absolute truth you say in your post is:

Quote: "So surely the only way we'll ever get allies, vehicles and save game options is if we code it as Basic code and somehow make it and action or command."

And it's not really Basic, more DBP.

It's all there is to it: DBP, the problem is the complexity of the code, in my opinion. You can turn it into a racing game, or program it to put sun lotion on your back, but you'd still have to code that.

The only lazy people that can complete games are genius. You don't look like a genius, so you better stop being lazy.
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 17:43
Wheres your avatar vlad???

DAB Studios
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
[Off topic]

Took it off, it was a forum one anyway and I hope in the next couple of months something special happens with my project, so I'm preparing for a "facelift". I guess a complete change would look like if I disappeared, which is not and will not be the case.

[/Off topic]

The only lazy people that can complete games are genius. You don't look like a genius, so you better stop being lazy.
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 08:52
Even though some things aren't possible, I keep trying anyway. I have been able to get an enemy character to aim at, shoot, and kill another enemy character, using scripts. However, since the scripting information is vague, it has it's limitations. The best I can do so far is get an enemy to kill another enemy if the other enemy is no more than one tile space away. Also, I can get the enemy to kill himself. However, I can't get enemies to target and kill other enemies at greater distances. I think the script supports targeting other entities besides the player by enemies, using the settarget, activatetarget, and activate commands.
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 17:37 Edited at: 19th Jan 2006 17:38
Actually....thinking about it..........

You could make scripts to kill the AI, and have em shooting at each other, but it wouldnt be "real" shooting or killing, merely scripted........

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Good point Visigoth, food for thought........

(Offtopic)@Vlad - Good good, just checkin` man

DAB Studios

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:37:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:37:11