Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The New Syndicate: Remastered

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 14:00

Ok guys, bout time I started a WIP thread for this again. The dbp one was getting pretty long and wasn\'t getting enough attention from outside users. Let\'s try and make this as formal as I can.

Progress Synopsis:
models>: Zircher and Co have made some very excellent models for weapons, items and vehicles, remade from the original game images. A truly commendable effort on his part. there are still models to be made, including humanoid models and a few extra items. here is a picture of some of the models.

Engine/system>: God.. err i mean Van-b (close enough) has donated his OIE engine (modified) to our coders to use as the engine for syndicate remastered. I am extremely grateful as the OIE engine is not only an awesome engine for a syndicate style game, but it\'s overly awesome in general! it already caters for 4 agent control, and blowing up enemies. once modified it will hold the models zircher has made and cater for more buildings and enemies. Until Van releases his modified engine to our crew there won\'t be any work on it done. however her eis the link to a screen of the OIE game Van had created.
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/data/showcase/400c8e77cd5937.98487534_f.jpg

Sounds>: At the moment we don\'t have anyone working on the sounds, which is a bummer cause we will really need them. Our team is currently open to any sound/music experts who would like to lend a hand. See the above flyer for info.

Movies>: As mentioned in the dbp forum thread, I will be making real action cut scenes for level intros. This method is being less and less used, and is more often found in the rts genre, with games like command and conquer red alert and the DUNE series. I have already prepared several costumes, and have gained the interest of a few local actors, (local to my production group; RMITV). The link below is to a video I quickly put together of me being a gimp in my costumes. I will play the role of the low tek leader, my cousin will play the low tech female agent. I have an actor and actress playing the leader and female agent for the corporation. (Sounds cheesy, but it\'s 80s cyberpunk, so there is a guy in charge and a busty female. hey it works.)

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=763926
requires Quicktime 7 to play.

Story>: I have currently compiled a theme for the game, as mentioned in the DBP thread. I have also prepared a script for the Intro of the two groups, which I will film as a test run for the cutscenes. (this file is at the office, will upload it tomorrow). i am still open for comments and suggestions on the story I have devised, feel free to comment on them.
This code box contains the post I had written explaining the overview of the story I had created in the last thread.

Well that\'s it for now, I will upload more things tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some time spare to begin some practice footage that I can upload aswell. Hope to hear from some sound techs too! as for the rest of the public, fire away with comments & suggestions.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 14:15 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2006 14:16
I can just tell that this is a very sexay project. I am a musician, but i not a synth musician. I do have a human mdel you can have to play around with....Its around 2k polys if you want a simpler one ill modify it.
Finally saw your cyberpunk costume demo. hehe smooth. Hat with built in glasses are so cheesy. Anyways Ill post the model and a pic of it
oops forgot pic, heh

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 14:19
thanks for the post earl. Good to hear you finally got my movie working . As for your model, it looks pretty nice, you obviously have some talent. Unfortuneately 2k polys are a bit too much for the system to handle, as there will be 4 agents and countless other civillians and enemies on the map, we will need low poly models that are smaller, more of an rts style model, I will try and dig up some reference pictures for teh scale I'm talking about.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 14:23
Both WinAmp and WMP choke on that mp4 format... how about reuploading it in avi or wmv form?

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 14:25 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2006 14:25
I have time, Ill lower it to about 1k? Is that about what you need?
I can probably make it under if needed.

edit: Heh next time im at RMIT ill look for you. Ill run around shouting:"Wigget!!!! Where are you!!"

Hawk get Quicktime 7

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 14:33
well I couldn't find any images that really suited, but basically look at the image that I linked of van b's OIE game, that is the size I want, though I would be going for more detail, and less cartoon style. I still don't know about 1k, but I'm not overly sure what the engine can handle, perhaps an himself could comment on that one. Also I will be at RMIT a lot this year, starting with tomorrow, I am holding auditions for a tv show I'm putting together at 10:30 and i wont be leaving till about 5:30 when I have to go to work. I didn't realize you were in Melbourne, but it's good to see more of us here, I think it's just me you and Exeat If you wanted to help work on the movies you're more than welcome to drop by the RMITV offices, just ask for me if i'm not around.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 15:27
heh, it's about time you made one

umm... *random support for this project*

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 15:53 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2006 15:57
Hey I'll do some humanoid stuff for you. gimme some concept art and a poly count and a week or two . Also I can probably help you on sound effects/music. Depending on what style music your looking for...Anything that involves eletric guitar, acoustic or drums or piano/synthesizer i can record at home.

EDIT: Saw the video, I like the costumes . But uhm... I guess I missed the part with the busty female ...

formerly KrazyJimmy
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Syndicate was a great game back in the day

I have high expectations on this project, hopefully it will live up to them.

Good luck with the project

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 16:08 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2006 16:42
870 polys down from over 2k

Manual Optimizing how fun

[edit]Just quickly rigged it and it is able to be animated without and bad defrmations which means i have optimized it rigt yay[/edit]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 16:14
Hey Wigget, keen to get stuck into that engine - but my PC kinda died on Saturday and I haven't been able to do anything. So that I can get stuck right in when my PC is working again, could you send me some media to use as a guide - like an agent, a weapon, and a building - that way I'll be able to set the engine up to suit your media better as well as provide a decent example. This engines levels will be 64 times bigger than in OIE, big enough for a decent sized city. Hopefully it won't take too long to get done.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 19:53
Nice guns, nice graphics, nice game Period.

Ran out of unwitty remarks and puns
Official Site: http://gamedeveloper1.tripod.com Official Forum: http://www.topfreeforum.com/forum/gamedeveloper.html
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2006 20:01
this looks really cool. Can't wait until it's all done!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 03:08 Edited at: 24th Jan 2006 03:10
Thanks for the comments guys. It has come to my attention that MUSTRIX has re-joined the land of the internet, so I will get him to make an agent character as he wants to reclaim his position as 3d modeller. I till want zirch to model stuff aswell, but I will get Mustrix to work on character models. Earl, thats a nice model and poly count, but i'm still unsure if it's right. It may have too much definition, reduce the facial features and muscle defenition, as this will be handled in teh textures. And oddmind thanks for your offer, but I think I would much rather you handled the sound for now, as I have a couple of modellers but no musicians. I will get you a copy of the original midi as soon as I am able to, otherwise you can google it yourself.

to mustrix: Welcome back dude, it's good to see you around again. Things have changed with the project though, we have moved from a 1st person back to an isometric squad view, using VAn-B's OIE engine. Which means your full size models may not work anymore. If you would like to redo them in a smaller scale that would be much appreciated. ALso, zircher has remade models based on the original games 2d stills, these are items and vehicles and I would like to use them, so all that is required of you is to make humanoid models (and you do a damn good job of that), you can if you want make some items too, but we really need humanoid models

@ Van-B: No probs van, sorry to hear about your pc, hope it gets better soon. Also I don't have an agent model yet, or a building for that matter :S feel free to substitute blocks etc for them, untill I can get a hold of some models for you.

VonKuFer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 13:41
the old syndicate game was real! cool

do you have a website-

as I see on your banner it will be the same as it was?

or a first person shooter-

I like the old way-
but syndicate is one of those games that you would of thought a big company to take over and re make like the did with GTA - ok I hope to see a website soon

Franziskaner- hefe weissbier (dunkel) bitte!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 17:06
Sweet been waiting to see this, after seeing it in your sig ever since I started on tgc dude

"I want to put a bullet through my head everytime I think of you!!!"- Slayer
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi wigget, nice to see you havent forgot me, so its official ill model the syndicate guys and civs, but i must request a bigger participation in the project, i wanna do level design to, i think that wont be a problem right ? ill get an animated model of the sindicate guys sooner then a week, ill get on it today, i have no way of connecting on internet at home so i cant really do a syndicate guy today, but ill work on a thug, or in the concept jonnyR did about the religious faction, i think i still have that, i need to get my hands on OIE engine functions, and a sample level, to know how to model for that level and such.

Van B youll have a model with running and idle animations in the next few days, ill have to upload it to this thread thow, no place else to store it, wigget add me again on msn i dont seam to found you there, joaomustra@hotmail.com

try to be tomorrow, 25 january, 16:00 p.m GMT 0 online, so we can talk better, need to know what dev docs you have, story, script, ideas and general gameplay.

3rd person ? smeels good to me, gonna make the players around 400/600 polys, and the npc's around the 300ps.

About the sound, ive been learning a lot on fruity loops and already did soe stuff i can touch up a offer to sindicate remastered, but i would like if you could get me some midis from the game and upload them here.

to Van B: there where 2 thinks i didnt liked in OIE back when you did it, the players seam to run to slow and the camera rotation method. My pc back then was much worse then the one i have now so maybe that was the problem dunno, maybe just being picky about it, its still great, maybe its to soon to talk about that and i dont wont to be hipocrate since youre helping VERY much.

another thing is timer based movemnt, maybe that was the problem i was refering above, did u have that implemented on the engine ?

so wigget, keep in touch m8

ps:my models did suck, know they dont, trhust me

cheers

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120....
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 00:50
actually i thought your models were pretty neat. Anyway, I will get design docs for you soon, a bit busy today. As for level design sure, I want to make a few levels too but we have to wait for his engine for that. If you want some of the structure files go to the program announcement forums and download the OIE engine that van b has put up, that will give you an idea.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 14:37
Good stuff, I'll have to put that on to-read list for this week.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 19:56
Got my PC back - had to get a new motherboard and memory, so I'll get onto the new engine soon.

I think that a more Lionhead/Bullfrog style interface would work better, like maybe drag rotating and scrolling like in B&W. Once the expanded level editor is done the engine should'nt take too long.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 02:00 Edited at: 26th Jan 2006 02:07
Coolness. Glad to see you were able to get back online. Having recently fixed my PC (power supply died), I can feel for you.

If you don't mind my two cents on 3rd person camera control, I like the mouse edge rotation method around a fixed point such as one of your four agents. You could do something like mapping the 1-4 keys to focus on an agent. Mouse edge scrolling frees the user from going into a click fest just to control the camera and allows the designer to use the left and right clicks for other game interaction. Examples of that method would include the Dungeon Siege games.
--
TAZ

PS. It's also pretty easy to code that kind of system using the SET CAMERA TO FOLLOW and POINT CAMERA commands. You then just set up some mouse edge detection and inc/dec a camera angle variable.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 03:11
Ok unfortuneately I left the documents at the office, along with my proper clothes :/ I seriously have no pants at home!! other than my work outfit. I'm heading in tomorrow so I will upload the files then. Van good to hear you are back on your feet, as I am off mine I have a reoccuring cold plus I'm busy with teh auditions for my video game review show. But I still find time to slip on my bullfrog jacket . In other news! Not too sure what you mean by drag rotating? is that where you click on the edge of the screen and "drag" the mouse along while holding down teh button? Zircher's emthod seems most popular, but go with what you'd like to see Van as you are the one coding it .

Quote: "syndicate is one of those games that you would of thought a big company to take over and re make like the did with GTA"

yeah that's the dream, to get our game noticed then either
a) get the company with the current rights to remake it (and not sue us)
b) Get the company with the current rights to ring me out of the blue and say "hey I really like your angle, how would you like it if we got your developement team to work for us! we will give you a shiny new office, you just give us a list of names of your crew!" (of course that one's more of a dream.... it can happen )

Quote: "hope to see a website soon"

so would I, I'm holding it off till we get a demo out though, as I will be able to make some nice pictures from the game to use as web graphics. But anyone who would like to play webhost to the site yell out.

I'm still accepting entries for the T-Shirt logo, I will have them printed within the month and shippable to whereever for a reasonably cheap price, (heck free for the development crew)

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 06:31
Sexy better get photoshop our for the tshirts design.

Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 08:54
Great to see everyone back working on this project. Seems like there is some good progress so far. Would be nice to see some of my concept brought to life as well

Keep it up

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 09:47
thanks johnny, only wish you could still be helping with us, I just had a look at your skole work there, FANTASTIC, nearly makes me want to make a fantasy game.. but no, I am gonna focus straight on making these videos first. Anyway everyone look at that skole stuff! fantastic art! FANTASTIC!!! and yes, I hope mustrix makes a model of your religious faction concept. DAMN TOP STUFF!!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 10:18
just bought a cheapo digital camera to take some shots of random melbourne locations. I'm uploading them to photobucket, in their own folder so anyone can see melbourne, these photos help express why I would never want to leave this city, I have some sort of soft spot for the architecture around here, and it is heaps good for inspiration for models for syndicate. check out the photos at http://photobucket.com/albums/v468/uberwiggett/melbourne%20photos/ . I've only just taken photos of the uni that I work at, I'm going out later tonight to take the crazy night shots at the dark corporate future spots that melbouren provides. will upload them tonight.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 10:38 Edited at: 27th Jan 2006 10:41
and for thoe of you who couldn't see my film, here is me:

here is me in 1 of the costumes:

here is me in another costume, i used it once before on highlander 2 :

edit: ever see a man love himself so much?

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 11:08
thought i'd save you some time and provide a link to Underdogs' Syndicate page where you're find a ~ 2min sample of the in-game music in MIDI format

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1916

Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)
Drivers and Updates Kept Current
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 11:12 Edited at: 27th Jan 2006 11:32
ahh brilliant, thanks mate,

edit: Just sent an email to LionHead studios to get some answers as to who owns the licence to syndicate, I would have contacted EA who own Bullfrog, but since when does EA care about customer queries?

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 13:05
Ok I'm about to head out and take those photos. I'm also gonna start some film work next week (tuesday or thursday) and I will need some extras to play punks and corporates, so earl and exeat I'm lookin in your direction. If you guys wanna be in on it just email me this weekend so I ccan arrange to meet you guys at the office and get you both prepped.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2006 17:58
Quote: "I just had a look at your skole work there, FANTASTIC, nearly makes me want to make a fantasy game.."

He's mine dammit. Mine! Back I say!

*Beats of angry game-dev mob with broom*

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 02:55 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 06:56
No Dice. I got school from next week onwards. Get Jess And Exeat. If exeat looks anything like hes sig then he might be dangerous to have around though.

[edit]hey wiggett, tell me if you think this place looks good.http://www.aie.edu.au And are there any corses at RMIT that concentrate mostly on art for games but also have some programming? Youdont have to look into it but it would be much appreciated. Ive been looking for a long time to find a course right for me, but so far i havent been very successful[/edit]

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 11:23
ok earl, I had a look at the website, I think I looked at their courses about a year or so ago. THe open day i went to was with teh cae or sae or something, they wanted liek 13 grand to do their courses. And from what I recall aie was much the same. Not too sure about their quality, but if you want I wouldn't mind going along and checking it out. They are still enrolling for february start, so it can't hurt to email them and ask them for a tour of the campus etc. email me at rwiggett@bigpond.net.au if ur interested in taking a look.

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 11:34
looks superb

where i went on holiday to
www.portaventura.es and also http://themepark.nl/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB7&Number=661483&page=0&fpart=all
Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 12:10
Im just going to their open day. I couldnt get to it last year. Im probably going to do their course, but im gonna havr to save up a fair bit of cash so itll be in a year or 2. Just doing my homework.
I Reckon i could give em a run for thier money anyways

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 13:58
hot dawg, when is their open day?

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 14:05 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 15:10
Usually in August. Heh. Hey if you go make sure you wear your syndicate T-shirt!! You might be thinking, "WFT?!? I dont have a syndicate Tshirt!!", but soon...soon we will all have syndicate T-shirts!!!!

[edit]woah when i installed a bunch of new fonts, my start icon changed font. Well I like this new improved start icon!

>>>>>>>>[WATCH THIS SPACE]<<<<<<<<<
Tell me which you like best, or if you have something else in mind. Only after I have a font selected can I decide what artwork can work with it

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 15:06 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 15:07
asrgh, removed! show me! or email them to me when u get them. I ill be up for hte next 30 mins unless i find someone to play sshock 2 with

edit yeah I like that font aswell, but I'm sure i've seen it on a video game somewhere...

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 15:11
The sexyness is uploaded

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 15:25 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 15:25
I think teh second or the third one. now design the back with teh slogan :Corporate persuasion through urban violence

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 15:28
Will do

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 15:42
just to prove the fruits of labour arent going to waste..

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2006 20:31 Edited at: 28th Jan 2006 20:41
Just to chip in, I like fonts two and four. Any time I have to stop and translate the characters into English, then the font has gone to far.
--
TAZ

BTW, how goes the search for audio? If you're still lacking, I might be able to help in a minor role. I have a fairly large (but random) collection of royal free sound effects and I have some tools for voice editing. For example, radio chatter... http://www.virmin.com/sounds.htm. That might work for background police or military chat.

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 01:04 Edited at: 29th Jan 2006 01:50
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 04:50
Just for fun, can I see that t-shirt design in font two? The front looks cool, but the back is just plain illegible.
--
TAZ

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 05:37
Ill change the back one and make both with font 2, but i cant do it till later today

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 05:38
Glad to see you guys found a new way to waste time.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 07:09 Edited at: 29th Jan 2006 08:28
you're just jealous tha tyou don't get the shirt for free.

the shirt looks a lil dark, but I happen to like that font with teh funky s, it suits. Also on the back dont have one full one empty outline, jsut have it all outline or all full, cause it does make it illegible. I actualyl really like the simple design though, I was originally thinking of having some of johnny's concept art aswell, but the plain text seems to be good, plus it's cheaper. I will look for some t-shirt printers tomorrow at the office.

Earl Walker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 10:37 Edited at: 29th Jan 2006 11:19
Hey Johnnys concept art IS in there
and yeah ive got some things to work on.
check the 2 links, they link to larger images

Quote: "Glad to see you guys found a new way to waste time.
"
Wast of time!?!. We can walk around town with people staring at our uber shirts!! Theyll be like "WTF is Syndicate?", and Ill be like "WTF is wrong with your face?" and then they will chase me. As they chaase they will read the back ad get scared and run off, and then ill just keep walking like nothing ever happened....yeah
Anyways Ill post the 2 finals which are a lot like the others but meh

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2006 11:47
nice, and where did that face come from??, might not be able to print it sooo faded though. depends on the company.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 09:12:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 09:12:23