Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / how good is fps creator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 12:17
I have looked around on this forum and sites- and I have been researching these programs that people are talking about- I am preparing to by 3d max 8 from a former user-

I have already bought fps creator- but it hasn't come in the mail yet?

so how good is it ?
I have heard it is rough- ?

and then I see these people - making these games- and all the screen shots look the same-

like one guy making a fairy tale game - and he sent in 3 of the same screen shots and another guy making a bin laden game?

I downloaded some girl that made a video - and it didn't even show what the game looked like- !

so is fps creator just a kiddie toy- or can you just learn from it and move onto something else ?
and what about dark basic- how is that?

I am still waiting on my copy of fps creator and the media pack 1

-vic

Franziskaner- hefe weissbier (dunkel) bitte!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 13:06
It's completely up to you. Using FPSC as a springboard, you can learn to model and add your own unique media to your games. You could also get DBPro and make your own features in the source code, like expand on what you already have in FPSC.

It depends on what skills you want to concentrate on really, but as long as your prepared to learn I'd say FPSC is a good purchase. You have to consider that people who complain about every game looking the same, are usually those that can't add their own media - and have little choice in the games theme. When FPSC matures, we'll see a lot more media packs, so theme's will be more varied eventually.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
Jordan Siddall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 13:08 Edited at: 24th Jan 2006 13:09
Its AWESOME!!!
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 13:52
For the price, you can't go wrong, but I would look at adding http://www.quikly.com To your collection too, it is written with DarkBasic Pro also.
And while we are at it, have you tried DarkBasic pro yet?

coolgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 15:24
I think it is pretty good.(I tried the trial version, I don't actually have it)
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 15:41
Its the best of the best.
Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 16:49
It's only one of 2 programs that says you can put together a game with no coding and they mean it. MMF is the other.

Without knowing how to model you are basically stuck with what FPS comes with. WWII games and Sci-Fi Games.

It's a deal for the money, but it is VERY VERY BUGGY. Just look in that forum area.

Developing your own game is going to take time. FPS allows you to do it much easier and faster.

Good Luck!
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 18:13
Dont you hate it when people dont post back in there own threads?

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because the mod was so jealous of it that he couldnt bare looking at it.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2006 23:56
Probably should note that Autodesk don't allow the selling of secondhand copies of max (they won't transfer the license).

I know this from personal experience, so before you buy make sure it's okay with them first.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
RJ is out Leave a message
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2006 00:25
Dude, Don't get involved with this unless you have had at least a couple of years of real understanding of 3D video, 2D and Direct X
made a couple of mods tore into the Doom, Quake and Lithtech then by
Dark Basic and FPSC. Otherwise your in for real hell.

Then, Only then a Jedi Knight will you be.-Yoda SW Ep VI

Rj

R.J.
I wanna be a guru
Years of Service
User Offline
well its obvious.

If you want quality results, then its gonna have some hard work involved.

from the Demo, the impression i get of FPS creator is that its more for 'entertainment' not serious game/application development tool. You are not learning a any new language, so the result is pretty much limited to what is provided to you. Even with quality models, textures and all, i don't think FPS creator is a serious tool for making quality games.

I lost interest in DB for a while because it was too slow, and buggy. Many showcases looked the same, slow and very poor performance-wise. But don't get me wrong, some were very very good.

But what now intersts me is Dark Game SDK, and perhaps OmegaBasic, which has much more appeal.

IMO, FPS creator is a very intersting and a creative application, but nevertheless limited, and intended for just the sake of having a game made by you in a matter of a few hours, with no programming effort.
ssjflip
Years of Service
User Offline
If you've ever thought of making a FPS game, FPSC is the program to get. It may not be a high end development program, but it gives you a taste of what creating your own game would be like.

For the price, you can't beat that. If you get DBP, you'll get to expand your FPSC world even more.
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 10:14
When u first start using Fpsc u think 'Yeah is cool' its easy..
Then as u progress adding more rooms and more entitys, the bugs kick in....problems start ...frustration etc...
But if u want any easy basic fps creater..this is the program for u......

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2006 15:58 Edited at: 26th Jan 2006 16:03
I personally would forget FPSC for now, it will be more 'useable' once Riker 9 comes out. The way I see it is FPSC was half made when it came out and Riker 9 will add the features that really should have been present in Version 1 of the product. DBPro gives you more flexibility, but FPSC is good for instant results!. FPSC games will only look the same if you only use the default media supplied. AI is ok, a bit flawed but you can't have everything. Forget about writing commercial games with FPSC, it's too slow, but good for the fun factor.

Bored ! Bored ! Bored ! of waiting for Riker 9 to come out !!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 05:20:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 05:20:55