Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Player/Weapon/Hud coordinate system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 18:10 Edited at: 30th Jan 2006 18:14
I was wondering if one of you wise FPSC gurus could help me understand the HUD display X Y Z coordinates for weapons while in game. Specifically, if I model a 3D object at coords 0,0,0 and load it as hud.x where will that model actually be in game in relation to the player’s view, or where is 0,0,0 in relation to the player? And what is the unit of measure for offsetting these models until they show up on the screen to the player? I'm doing something pretty unconventional with weapons and in order for them to work properly, I need to understand these things. The manual doesnt explain much other than model names and control files.

Thanks!

Lon

[url=http://www.chiselbrain.com]
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 20:41
i put my gun at coords 0,0,0 in max,

and in fpsc, it seems that 0,0 in the horizontle and verticle positions represent the very center of the screen, and work like a normal x and y graph, but forward at zero seems to be substantually behind the player.

and in fpsc, for my gun to appear, it took these coordinates in the gunspec:

horiz = 15
vert = -24
forward = 47

its really weird system.

another thing you might want to be aware of, that most people dont figure out because theire guns are symetrical, is that it flips the gun along the x axis.

i didnt even notice it until i put hands on my guns.

hope that helped

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 21:15 Edited at: 30th Jan 2006 21:16
Thanks Bullshock, I appreciate it.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 21:52
no you dont.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because the mod was so jealous of it that he couldnt bare looking at it.
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 23:19 Edited at: 31st Jan 2006 00:42
In Max, set your system unit scale to 1unit=1.0 inches. Create a free cam in Front view. Set a view for the freecam. Position/scale the weapon as if the freecam is the player view in fpsc. Export with panda, by default exports world coordinate axis. Load up gun in fpsc, you can set 0,0,0 in gunspec. Should look very close to the view in max.

After creating the camera in front view, rotate it 180. Set FOV to 58.

Here's a screen shot of how I set mine up.

!
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 05:24 Edited at: 31st Jan 2006 05:26
I'm using Milkshape, and it seems like no matter what, I can't get a weapon to display. Everything appears to be in order, but it doesn't show up. I think my main problem is that Milkshape really messes up the scaling of exported models. Everything I export out to FPSC from Milkshape is just tiny and there seems to be no pattern to it. It would be nice if Milkshape had a unit scaling feature like max. I don't have max. I think it's just too complex using Milkshape with all the scaling problems. The position scales as well, so it's damn near impossible to get it in there if I use the scale command in the fpe, then its moved again.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 06:26
Try importing an exsiting weapon into milkshape, match your weapon to that. See if that gets you closer. I did about the same thing with fragmotion. It doesnt have a unit scale feature ( well I dont really know, noob ) Anyway, with some trial and error I managed to get my weapon working.

!
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 08:45
You might have trouble loading a HUD weapon into milkshape, as it can't load animated x models.

This is why I bought Fragmotion.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 13:22
We were having problems with finding the right coordinates for weapons as well, we tried using truespace, gamespace (same thing really), and 3D Canvas. Finally we figured out the method that Joh described; we imported a model from the engine, and matched it's coordinates...easiest way.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2006 15:26 Edited at: 31st Jan 2006 15:27
I think I'll try using Gamespace lite to do it. Gamespace lite is free and exports x, but it has a 650 poly limit. should be enough for weapons and certain entities. If I like it, I might get the full version. Another program to learn...sigh. Good thing I'm a genius...Not!

Lon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 05:17:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 05:17:56