Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / devmaster user reviews

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:02
yeah i like this bit
The simple drag and drop engine is filled with annoying bugs. Users have reported several bugs and issues with the program and there has been no report from the creators. (For a full listing of bugs, visit the web site and check in *their* forums).

The engine is very unstable. There is no load/save feature as indicated in their documentation. Again, this can be found in their user forums as more and more disgruntled users vent their fustrations.

Performance is very poor. You need a very high-end machine to run a simple program. Download the demo - it looks good, but once you start working with it, it falls apart in a hurry.

I do not recommend this program.

Never eat yellow snow
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:27
How about this one?

Quote: "FPI (the scripting language) is one of the ugliest I've ever seen. It is very awkward and feels like you're using a language from the mid 80s"

I wondered why I liked FPSC's scripting language so much... now I know, it's from the 80's. That's the time when I started programming in Basic, GW-Basic, Qbasic and Pascal, those were about the only ones around at that time, not forgetting machine code / assembly (or whatever it was called). I feel right at home again.

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:37
yeah spectrum 48k programing for a magazine..those were the days

Never eat yellow snow
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:41
Commodore 16 (only 16k) & 64, MSX 32, 64, 256 (or MSX2), those were great days! But I would qualify those as early 80's, mid 80's was PC-XT time.

I even remember the Tandy TSR-80, that was quite a machine....

ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:49
yeah well i owned a phillips video pac remember then?

Never eat yellow snow
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 00:57 Edited at: 10th Feb 2006 01:02
Yep.... Videopac (G7000) and don't forget the Atari 2600!!! Atari had the original pacman and Philips create a similiar game called munchkin or something like it. They even had a courtcase about this whole deal and Philips was forced to withdraw their pacman version, unfortunally.

Good old days..... fortunally we've got the original pacman and an atari game pack on the Playstation, so I can still enjoy some good memories

Obbidiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2006 08:06
Typing out programs from Computer Weekly onto my Vic 20.......HAPPY DAYS !!!!!

No Husband was ever killed while doing the dishes !!!!!
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Not a good choice
Posted by: The Mastermind at Feb 13, 2006
I bought FPSCreator as just something to make quick games with. I have programmed before and thought that I would probably be able to modify this game creator with the scripting capabilities. I was dead wrong.

This thing can not make a single game. The graphics provided could have been found in a mediocre game from the Dreamcast. The engine that was used to build it (from the loooks of how it is coded) was unorganized and slow. The Game Creators should have not spent 4 years with DarkBasic Pro to make this horrid software. The whole thing was a mess.

The editor is very easy to use, but it is also very buggy. The in game play has nothing special about it and is not very expandable. It is also slow. I got around 31 fps max, and an average of 12 fps otherwise. The AI was also very stupid. It lacked any intelligence and was either too easy or too hard.

If you are looking to build a quick deathmatch game, this is not the right tool either. The multiplayer lagged and lacked many features that could have been put into it. I think that TGC could have used their time more wisely to put together a package that could have been fully completed. The scripting also is very limited. There are not many commands to use and it follows the dreaded BASIC type language. If I were you, stay away! If you are someone with no programming skills whatsoever, do not purchase this package. Even though 3D Game Studio is my type of game engine, it is better for the beginners. At least it has better lighting and does not have 200mb exe sizes.

Also, they have a "community" set up for this package. Just to let you know, they are jerks. They will not help you and they will not be kind towards you. Please stay away from the community. The moderators are also very strict and will barely let you get your two cents in.

Another thing: This puts a new definition on slow! The loading times take literally up to 20 minutes per level, and then the levels play slow.

My opinion: Do not buy.

Awww, isn't that nice how he commented about us at the end?

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 02:17
Quote: "Typing out programs from Computer Weekly onto my Vic 20.......HAPPY DAYS !!!!!"

I couldn’t afford the Cassette player either, all that typing to play frogger, hated turning the damn thing off.

Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 14:09
As FPSC reaches into new markets these types of reviews will continue to pop-up. All the more reason for TGC to work hard on a patch

Then right after all the negative press a link to the patch....
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 14:34 Edited at: 14th Feb 2006 14:35
Quote: "Awww, isn't that nice how he commented about us at the end?
"

aye cheeky git calling us jerks...well most of us ain't anyway..

Never eat yellow snow

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 07:25:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 07:25:38