Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Noob Bump question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, I understand that naming file d2.tga, claims this file as a normal, and that N.Tga is the Normals wich can be nade using the plugins or software provided from Nvidia, or Radeon.

But now for the file named D.Tga, wich i do understand is a much flatter image, with no depth or anything. Lets say I use an image of a wall taken with a digital camera, and then want to use same said image for a game wall...

how would I flatten the image for use with FX maps?

I did try this last night, but for the *D.TGA not the D2 file, I used the original d2 and just copies and saved as D.tga so basically same picture used for D2 and D, but the effect ddnt work in FPS creature once light was added to the scene.

any suggestions? or perhaps someone could guide me to some tutorials that would help?

thanks
Jikito
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 01:25 Edited at: 11th Feb 2006 01:26
D=Diffuse, N=Normal,S=Specular,I=Illumination ,D2=Standard Texture Map

The DNSI are used when you have "Full Shader Effects" turned on. This you will find under "Preference-Effects".

Generally, the idea is - the D2 textures are painted with shadows and highlights which give the impression of depth on a flat surface, but not so effective when look at it from an angle. So when using shaders the N maps are used to calculate this depth, and can be viewed from different angles. The D is flat as it is only used for color.

Okay, I think you already got all that, just going over it for myself and others.

To "flatten" or to diffuse the image, you would use a paint program to remove or reduce the shadows and highlights.

peace

!
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the information, I think you actually gave more then i thought there was, wich is a good thing. I didnt know about specular and illumination maps. thanks for the info, I think I have it now.

It would be great if they could add a tutorials section for the forum, it would make the info so much easier to find =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 07:28:11
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 07:28:11