Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Question: Skyboxes from scratch

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok,
here is what I tried.

I made a total new set of 6 images, named them in sequence of U.TGA, down, left , right front, back and ect.

I did try to assign these to an already made skybox model within FPSC and even opened up the .x file to reset the material names.

Im experimental, what can I say.

Needless to say, experiment failed miserably, tail is between this girls legs and head is hung low.

the result was a black area that well, yeah.. yuck.

now for the question:

I did try and do a search looking for skybox tutorials within the FPSC forums, and they did show how to change a skybox in both ini files under build.ini, as well as during test mode.

but, I could not find out anything about making a skybox able to support original textures.

any Ideas of how i would go about using original textures for my skyboxes?

Thanks for your time in reading this post

Jikito
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2006 17:38
Lol. You are not alone. I tried a few times with different results. Haven't dug much deeper, since just replacing existing ones seems to work. So find the one you least like, and save over the files retaining original file names. You can use tga's. Just keep the filenames the same and delete the dds. Works so far for me. If I do find anything more I'll let you know. Woof.

!
Jikito
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the info joh. so as i understand it.. since you can open the skybox.x file it is actually code written by DBpro and not really a model file and the only way to really modify them without overwriting the textures is to modify the source code or secretly hope someone with some real programming skill can make a skybox generator like they did with decal maker and signmaker?
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 02:39
Oh. hmm ok this is a bit old but.. well the x file is a standard model file. Its just that its saved in text format. Yes quite neat when you want to edit the names without rexporting. It may just be a bug somewhere, where it looks for the file/folder name or I'm just doing something wrong.

Anyhoo, this works. If you dont want to overwrite the existing textures. Create a folder in skybanks, eg myskies. Then copy an existing set eg \natural\Rnf into myskies. So you will end up with \myskies\Rnf. Replace the textures in that with your new tgas. Maintain the file names. Make the appropriate changes in your level settings.

!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 07:26:16
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 07:26:16