Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fallout 2 style, is it possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am one of the many whose hopes to one day see Fallout 3 in stores have been crushed, and i have been playing Fallout 1 and 2 until my eyeballs started to bleed. I think that that was an awesome game, a unique RPG with unmatched ambience and atmosphere and humour. Well since BethSoft is taking its time in developing what i hope won't be a let down sequel of the Fallout saga i felt like i wanted to give a shot and wrote my own version of this awesome game...

So i was wondering if FPSC could be used in the creation of an RPG, of course far from what Fallout was, but still based on karmic rules that define the outcome of your actions.

The game will need to have the following characteristics:

- NPC's (Non Player Characters) that will be able to follow me and attack certain targets (not me).

- NPC's which upon clicking on them or getting near them, will trigger a way for me to initiate conversation and gather information from them.

- a way to have an interactive screen in which i can click and load different maps, like a geographic map a bit like in Fallout.

- a final summary of the consequences of my actions at the end of the main final objective.

Could this be made possible with FPSC? Just wondering because just by looking at the possibilities of the software itself (aside from the bugs which have always a way around them) it seems to me like a good platform to accomplish at least a rough amateur Fallout-like game.
Flash
Years of Service
User Offline
The 2nd is possible with scripting, you will have to wait for Riker 9 for the 1st. The 3rd sadly is not possible and as for the 4th? I have no idea.

Hippopottomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 18:28
You cant do third person with fps creator and it is ment for First Person SHOOTER

www.jkgs.moonfruit.com

I was Jacko but I changed my name.
i cant believe its not fabio
Years of Service
User Offline
oh well i guess i'll see what i can do with the tools at my disposal...

anyway i never said i wanted to make a 3rd person game or anything barely isometric (otherwise i would have not considered fpsc) i thought it might be a fun variation to have a first person perspective in a narrative RPG actually...
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 20:47
you should try DBPro or T3DGM(the last one is old an everyone here thinks its for little kids,but still,i like it)

[href]www.freewebs.com/edromeproductions[/href]
look there for all my model packs latest updtes and other stuff!
(its not old yet)
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 23:06
acutally, you can do a 3rd person... sort of. make the gun model a person, and itll be ghost recon 2 style.

Because no n00b is a good n00b.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 23:10
how does ghost recon2 looks like?

[href]www.freewebs.com/edromeproductions[/href]
look there for all my model packs latest updtes and other stuff!
(its not old yet)
yeah its me
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2006 23:21
it has a pretty weird thirdp. camera, it is very stuck in its position, but that might be possible lets do it!!!! or not

may god have mercy upon my enemies, I sure as hell won´t.

-George S. Patton-
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 02:22
well, its as close as you can get to 3 person- anb imitation. you wont be able to swivel the camera or anything, but if your desperate.

Because no n00b is a good n00b.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 03:24 Edited at: 15th Feb 2006 03:24
I've tried this method before in an FPS engine before. It really looks odd when turning, especially considering the pivot point. If you do decide to do this, perhaps move the model as close as possible (like shoulders up) and maybe throw some alpha transparency on it, it may look decent.

JEEZ!You people just STFU! You waste more space complaining about people wasting space than the people your bashing! Man, I thought I had no life.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2006 13:10
Cellblock tried to make a 3rd person camera but it had to many bugs so he didnt finish it.

-Half Death- A game like Half Life 2 in progress...
Years of Service
User Offline
ahh.... i wish i had some knowledge about programming... that would definitely push me in the direction of DarkBasic. I always felt weird about it coz i am more of a graphic person and i like to see the result of what i am doing real time. T3DGM looks interesting althought it looks like they made it for a beginner's audience (which i am! lol) But i am also a modeler and animator and i would like to see my models into an interactive environment more than anything else and animate them... argh... so much to learn... Well...i better get started! lol
moogal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 00:07
ICBINFabio,

I'm also an artist just wanting to get models and stuff into a realtime engine. I don't have FPSC, but I haven't written it off just yet either. I'm really curious about Riker9 though. Anyway, take a look at Quikly Game Studio (www.quikly.com) a similarly priced game construction kit also written in DBPro. I'm not sure if Quikly is as finished or as easy to use as FPSC, but the author has no intention of limiting you to one type of game, camera, or control scheme. There are vehicle physics and a map maker, and alot of cool stuff like ragdolls and a weapon editor are planned. It was also recently mentioned in the TGC newsletter, and there is a thread in the WIP forum also. Quikly can output DBPro code, should you ever try to learn that, and much of the modeling you'd have to do for an FPSC game would work just fine in Quikly as well.
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds great moogal, i'll make sure to check it out!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 07:28:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 07:28:56