Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Announcing CHENEY HUNTER

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 21:51 Edited at: 18th Feb 2006 00:33
The game you're about to play is based on a true story...

Welcome to CHENEY HUNTER, a 2D shooter that pays homage to "Duck Hunt," but with worse graphics and crappier gameplay! In CHENEY HUNTER, you play the role of person on a hunting trip with the Vice President of the United States. Along the way, you'll encounter Dick Cheney's meanest foes... and you might even run into Dick Cheney himself, whose only care in the world is to kill animals and anyone or anything that stands between him and his prey! You'll need to shoot first and ask questions later if you hope to evade Cheney's wrath.

You're probably thinking "hmm, this game sounds corny." Well friends, that's because IT IS! The game was entirely produced in my spare time this week and doesn't have the flair of many other DarkBASIC Professional games, and certainly isn't nearly as good as my other low-tier games... but the few people who've played it thus far thought it was a fun and silly way to kill some time... and some of Dick Cheney's biggest enemies.

Please don't turn this into a political thread... it's not worth it over a game that consists of 848 lines of code. Many of you already know where I stand politically and I'm telling you right now: this game has nothing to do with what I think of the administration. Those views will be expressed with a different title I'm planning on making in the near future. This game is only meant to be funny and silly and I think I've done a pretty darn good job at making it that.

I've attached the game's zip file to this post. Feel free to download it and distribute it if you think it's worthy of that... which you probably won't, lol. Anyway, I hope you enjoy and PLEASE don't expect this game to be a work of art... it isn't meant to be good, just funny

- Matt Rock

"Hell is an Irish Pub where it's St. Patrick's Day all of the time." ~ Christopher, *The Soprano's*

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 22:43
Could not load music at line 79 here

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 22:45
Really? We've played this on multiple computers and we've never had a problem... I'll try to figure out what went wrong. Sorry Dave

"Hell is an Irish Pub where it's St. Patrick's Day all of the time." ~ Christopher, *The Soprano's*
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 22:59
My bad. I fixed it. I forgot to add that music file to the final build. What's peculiar is, we played this game on two other computers and they didn't give us the error... creepiness. Oh well, it's fixed now. Thanks for pointing that out David... I was about to go post this on a bunch of different forums! Sorry about that to those of you who downloaded it. It works now. Here's a link to DL it if you prefer to do it that way:

http://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=170206/1140213175/Cheney Hunter.zip

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:17 Edited at: 17th Feb 2006 23:20
does the game actually include docile, farm-raised quail?
is it like shooting fish in a barrel to bolster one's ego and pretend they are "real mean of the west"?

rofl! great game concept

Maybe you could make osama bin laden pop out here and there and taunt cheney with "Hey, what happened? Wasn't I the real target?"

I'll try it out if I have time over the weekend.
outlook=hopeless

Automatic file Downloads/Updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:18
lol well I had to make the birds fly, otherwise it wouldn't be much fun. Then again, Cheney seems to enjoy shooting at birds who can't fly

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:20
see my edit above, sorry

Automatic file Downloads/Updates for your distributed Games and Apps - see Program Announcements Forum
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:27
LOL OMG Cattle download the game! Osama makes a cameo but doesn't have a speaking role. Also in the game you'll encounter Saddam Hussein and Cindy Sheehan... I tried to identify Dick Cheney's three worst enemies but finding suitable images to crop on the internet wasn't as easy as I thought it was. In a future version I'm hoping to include voice acting. I'd love it if I could have Osama saying something like "Ooh looky, an infidel" or have Dick say something like "Oh man, hope I didn't pepper ya there." Hey... does anyone have any voice acting talent? Can anyone do impressions decently, or know of a place where I can find quality sound clips for free?
- Matt

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:29

Runtime Error 506 - Could not load image at line 278

I'm going to eat you!
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:37
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:51
UGH. I quit!

Okay, THIS time it works fine!!!

It sure is a good thing I tested it after David found the first error message, huh? lmao. If anyone finds another error message after this, I'll refund the time you lost to downloading the earlier version(s). How? I dunno... but I won't have to because this one is error free, guaranteed

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2006 23:56
Thanks for the update, I'll test it after I get back from hols...

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 00:21
Quote: "If anyone finds another error message after this, I'll refund the time you lost to downloading the earlier version(s). How? I dunno... but I won't have to because this one is error free, guaranteed "

Gimme da codez

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 00:32 Edited at: 18th Feb 2006 00:34
LMAO I'm such a friggin' moron

So I find out about the error codes and fix it. I compile it and test the exe and it runs fine. I then post the zip all over again and voila, problem solved, right? Well, I kinda skipped a step... I forgot to put the new version in the zip

Hey, I never said I was smart... did I? lol

EDIT: BTW, I owe each of you who downloaded this game the time it took to download and run the crappy versions posted before... you'll be paid back over then next 2,100 years, promise

SirFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 10:54
Screenshot?

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 18:28 Edited at: 18th Feb 2006 18:33
This game really isn't good enough to warrant the need for a screenshot. But I took one anyway for my website, so here it is

edit: Based on the screenshot, you'd think the game is really corny. Well, it's supposed to be corny. But the people who've e-mailed me to comment have said it was funny and a cool way to kill some time, and that's all the game is meant to be. Usually when people ask for a screenshot they're expecting beauty... DON'T expect perfection from a game I through together in my free time lol. The graphics are corny but it's a fun(ny) game to play for 10 minutes

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 18:43
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2006 19:08 Edited at: 18th Feb 2006 21:33
Yeah, beautiful ain't it? lol! You can tell I spent a very small portion of time working on this game Someone from a different forum e-mailed me today and said, and I quote:

Quote: "if this game had better [graphics] i dont think it would be nearly as funny"

I substituted "Graphics" for "picture quality." The guy is fifty-something years old and doesn't play video games, so he doesn't know our terminology. I guess that's my target audience... people who don't play video games, lol

Edit: I just played the game through to the end and kept playing after beating it. You have to be really, really bored to do that! If anyone gets a score higher than 84,062 let me know, lol

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 17:33

Error on replay.
"Sound already exists at line 508"

That was fun!

I'm going to eat you!
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 18:21
That's interesting, BearCDP... because line 508 doesn't have anything to do with sound or music, nor does the subroutine it belongs to. In fact, the subroutine doesn't have a single line of code that has anything to do music, sound, or anything audio-related. Line 508 is the declaration of a variable related to Saddam Hussein's movement.

Did you mean "that was fun" to be sarcastic? Or did you actually enjoy the game? If you did, rock on... but I sense sarcasm here

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 08:05
Could not load image at line 278

This just in: White lab coats cause cancer in mice. Details comming soon.
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 16:13
Really? Did you download the new version or did you download the game a week back? This new version should have the problem fixed (or so I thought). Try downloading it from here:

http://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=180206/1140291354/Cheney Hunter.zip

I *know* that version works. I've had a few hundred comments on the game from all the various forums and chat rooms and whatnot that I posted the game in. When I first released this game I posted a few broken versions (as you can see above), which caused for some funny moments Anyway, that link works. Sorry about that.

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 04:45
No really! It was fun. I laughed because it was goofy, and the goofiness made it fun. I restarted the game a couple of times and showed it to my friends and little brother. All agreed it was awesome.

I'm going to eat you!
Lame Brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 16:03
huh, got a weird error
Quote: " The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system\compress.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

I have never, never seen that error before, and have no idea where it came from! Your program? Or my computer?

I'm using Windows XP and have fully updated DirectX.

Another hair-brained idear from... LAME BRAIN!
Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2006 21:21
Sorry Bear, you're right... but it was line 308, not 508. You get that error message if you return to the main menu and then go back to play the game again. If I ever get the time to make an updated version I'll fix that. Sorry! And thanks for the compliments... I'm glad everyone is enjoying this game so much. Some people from other forums got mad at the game because it picks on Cheney, and the graphics suck, but hey... the game is supposed to be funny and silly and I whipped it out in about three days (hence all the errors )

As for you Lame Brain, I have no clue where that message came from. I've never seen it before. I'm not using any DLL's with this game, except those that are packaged with all DBPro games (if there are any). I want to say it must be from your computer but I'm not sure... has anyone else seen that message while playing?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 06:13:37
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 06:13:37