Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Textures and the segment editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 19:08
I wanted to try to texture a floor segment with a texture I had called rubble this was a jpg image so I opened it in photoshop and saved it as a tga file and put it in the directory structure under my room but when I hit the change texture button in segment editor and went to the folder the texture would not show up the other textures are there and I know this one is there because when I go to the directory outside of segment editor it is there. Am I doing it right?
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 19:25
u need to rename the texture file to D2
Example rubble.tga would be rubble_D2.tga

Never eat yellow snow
Dragonslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 19:56
Ok thanks I will try that! I listened to all the segement editor videos more than once and I do remember something about shaders and D2 but why do the textures need to be names D2?
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 20:41
While in the texture browser window inside the segment editor, press the F1 key and you will be able to see your textures.
Dragonslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2006 23:58
Well I think I got the segement editor figured out, I also made a new wall segement in milkshape and got it scaled right to work with a floor segement from FPSC and made a room and got it into FPSC, It looked ok.

The reason I did this was because the wall segement that I was using was kind of wider at the bottom and it did not look right with a brick texture I used so I spent a long time doing this. I then started looking around in FPSC meshbank and realized that I could have found a good flat wall piece there and textured it my way and had it done in about ten minutes instead of a couple of hours making one and scaling it right. As far as walls and floors go I don't see any reason to do that again unless really necessary.

I do have a couple of questions if someone could give me an answer.

1. When I create my own room segement get it into FPSC and test level there is no sound when you walk around, I know you have to edit a file but I' am not sure which one, I looked in the fps file but did not see anything for sound.

2. Textures, when I did the tutorials for segement editor there was one for shaders and it totally improved the look of the wall texture. How can I get that effect with my own textures. Most of the textures I have are jpeg images that I picked up around the web. I tried to do that tutorial with one of the textures I have and it did not work. I don't understand what the bumpent and those different effects are for. Do I have to make these myself for my own textures? If so where can I find out how to do that?

3. If I did want to create my own segements with milkshape does anyone how to scale them quickly, the trial and error method takes a long time!
ultraplex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 00:03
the sound,u have to change the materialindex0 = 4
to a different number i cant remember what they are off top of my head but if u play around with em u should get the sound u want

Never eat yellow snow
Dragonslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 00:37
Well that was one question answered, 4 gave me the sound of walking on rockey ground, 2 like walking on metal. I have to read the pdf more because I think I saw a list of numbers for this somewhare in there.

Now if someone knows anything about my texture question that would be great.

I made a test room with a wall segement the wall middle segement of armoury and textured it with the same texture that I used on the segement that I made in milkshape and put them into FPSC and could not tell the difference between the room made with FPSC segments and the ones I made in milkshape.
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 02:52
-Files\audiobank\materials\materialdefault.txt

Textures-
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=71442&b=21
You have to make them. To make Normal maps from textures you will need a tool. Nvidia has a plugin for photoshop, but there are a couple of free ones I think. Sorry can't remember where, might want to google it.

Look for the wall and floor x files in the entitybank. Import them into milkshape as reference scale. Might help reduce the trial and error.

!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2006 03:37 Edited at: 20th Feb 2006 03:39
Nevermind,
I was thinking of entities and not segments.
Sorry for the brain fart.

Don't forget to visit http://www.conjured.us/

Support Your Local CE-FPSC Chapter

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 07:30:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 07:30:08