Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Main character model

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 23:01
Hi! This is a model that i made which will be in my new game that's in the works. Its 6027 polygons. Please review

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2003 23:14
Mouth seems a bit odd,close it a bit more and for crying outloud,cut-down the detail on the whole mesh 6027 is going insane if you ask me.

Good looking model though.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 00:28
looks like one of those blow up dolls - hehee

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 02:41
Nice, but too many polies

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 03:26
Agreed, also slim down her hips, man, she has far too big of an ass. I don'tr know if it's the lighting but her legs and feet look messed up.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 18:03
Thanks for the feed back
The mouth is open cause i'm gonna do animations with it for speaking, expressions etc.

Yeah the ass is a little big im gonna scale it down a bit.

The polycount is high cause i want the game to look like the gamecube version of Resident Evil, I might put in a LOD system to improve the framerates for slower computers but it should be OK, I hope...

heh heh, the pic does make the model look a bit like a blowup doll, it should look a bit more realisic once i'v add textures.

kfoong
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 05:09
whats a LOD?

--------
I HAVE SOME IDEA HOW TO PROGRAM DARK BASIC!
Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 05:32
looking forward to see that textured inferno. I'd like to see the mesh (un-triangulated).

- Kjetil
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 17:07
@kfoong - LOD means Level of Detail, loads of games have it to make the game run faster. So for example if a character is close to the camera, the polycount would be 6000, if its in mid distance it would be 3000 and if its far away it would be 1000. Hard to do but worth it.

@Kjetil - thanks the texturing is nearly done and i'm gonna try and improve the model a bit.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 17:28
lmao... you ever tried to skin a 3,000+ densely packed mesh?

i swear i wouldn't want to do it without some kinda UV Mapper handy, preferably ChilliSkinner

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 18:14
quote: "The polycount is high cause i want the game to look like the gamecube version of Resident Evil"

*imagins how slow it will be when I need to set in a room with 10 zombies and blow them away*

.........................................................................*bang*.................................*hit*........................I got one!....

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 21:50
24 hours later- hey! WOW! Looky! My guy just moved an inch forward! PROGRESS AT LAST!!

Seriously lol- lower them polies!

RPGamer

Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Fallen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 01:25
Great model the only problem for me is just the polys.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 02:44
hey, 6,000 aint that much compared to modern games like splinter cell and unreal II. Besides i said i was gonna put an LOD system.

I might put an option on the game i'm making to have low detailed meshes for people with slow computers.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 04:13
Yea well splinter and unreal werent made in DB now were they

RPGamer

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, some PS2 games are made out of YaBASIC (they give you the source for the language too!) http://yabasic.de

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 08:23
Splinter Cell and Unreal2's models only go as high as 3,500 and they have LOD which go as low as 800

and don't even bother saying what about Doom3 because they're models are even lower polygon, they just cleverly use Shaders.

and no professional level game like GTA3 or MGS2 were developed within YaBASIC - thats the HomeUser's development platform, which compared to DB has ALOT to be desired speed wise.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 16:18
quote:
lmao... you ever tried to skin a 3,000+ densely packed mesh?

i swear i wouldn't want to do it without some kinda UV Mapper handy, preferably ChilliSkinner

Derh !! ever heard of grouping veggie ? skinning a 3000+ mesh is just as easy as skinning a 300 poly mesh model.

If ya know what you're doing that it....... but then, you don't when it comes to skinning do you ?

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 16:47
OK, the polycount has been reduced to 3,600, here's the pic.

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 16:52
it's a bit dificult to see with smooth shaded mesh, could you post a wire and a flat shade for me? And you could make the pic a bit bigger, I'm on a 1600*1200 here, just crop it down (delete the black areas where there is nothing.

It looks good, but not easy to see.

- Kjetil
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 17:21
OK here it is.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/nemesiscreations/ann04.jpg

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 17:45
It looks a bit messy. The face is pretty good though. You actualy modeled the eyes. Then you can put some bones there to make her blink.

Although, I think is is a messy mesh, I think it's a good model. Good atonomi.

Are you going to animate it?

- Kjetil
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 18:03
Yere i guess it is a bit messy , i'm gonna try neaten it up a bit when i have time. It is going to be animated, i'm having a bit of trouble getting the weights correct. it should be done in a few days hopefully.

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 18:07
but if you paint the weight maps, wouldn't that be lost when you export it as .x?

- Kjetil
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 19:20
I don't think so, i did a few exports with panda for 3DSmax5 to test the anim and they seemed to work alright.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 19:20
I still think you should slim her down a bit, her waist and upper legs look too wide.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 01:56
raven Im seriously going to have u ejected from here if your attitude doesnt smarten up real fast.

What ever vendetta you have with simple isnt the place to vent your immature rants.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 02:42
and his comments had no place either

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 03:19
There is nothing in my comment that you haven't admitted on the forum yourself. In fact you have mentioned quite a few times that you are crap at skinning.

So why is saying that you don't know what you are doing when it comes to skinning a comment that has no place here ? when you have said that about youself.

Basically you are giving this person BAD advice.... convincing him to reduce the polycount on his model because YOU wouldn't be able to skin it yourself. ( doesn't mean he couldn't )

And like I said..... it would be just as easy, if not easier to skin a higher poly model.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 04:44
well she's a little out of proportion but some girls are like that
You should be able to get a model like that's polycount down even further with clever use of smoothing groups and edge turning (and time!!) I guess it depends on your attitude how many you can live with, I take an almost insane amount of time reducing poly's to just what's nessesary for "suspension of disbelief" if you know what i mean, then you know for sure you (and the peeps who play your game) won't be dissappointed with the frame rate later...I feel it's the way a character moves that gives it it's realism anyhow, not the polycount

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 07:40
good for cinemativcs

yeah I see her as often as my computer lets me.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 14:16
Simple go back to that rock you hide under most days of the year... or is RGT down again?
Skinning isn't the UV Mapping of the model, but i'm sure you already knew that.

And unwraping an 800 polygon face making sure you keep ALL of the faces in perspective whilst attaching it to the other parts to save on the skin area, well sorry but it takes most skinners a good 30-40mins to skin the adverage game model ... if you're having to do the SAME work making sure everything is unfolding right as not to have stretchs and such, making sure it fits together so you don't get seems later on, but for each section!

god it angers me so much how stupid one person can actually be

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 14:31
She looks worse if you ask me,,What happened to her mouth...

Y'know the blowup doll was a joke.

The point in a good uvmapping,whatever the # of faces you got,is to model accordingly to skinning but as much as you get polygons,the more time consumming(as little as it can be from the start)it becomes and that's a fact.

What I mean is that you need to check the angles of the faces,make sure none is facing both back and front views and decide how it will be separated as you model it.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 14:40
I think it's better to skin the highpoly. Then when you would make a lowpoly out of it then, instead of redusing the poly, model a new one and use the high poly for referance. Skin the old poly and render out some orthographic (without perspective) views of the high poly and use those for texture mapping. Apply the texture mapping to the low poly. and edit the uv-polys so the texture fits.

- Kjetil
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 14:41
Raven wrote:
you ever tried to skin a 3,000+ densely packed mesh?

Well, Simple said the polycount does'nt matter when skinning, because skinning is basically the modification or creation of the texture map on an already UV mapped model. Are you getting confused? - you seem to be arguing with yourself.

It does'nt matter if you call it UV'ing, skinning, texturing, god theres dozens of terms, at the end of the day it's bloomin difficult to learn and I'm always in awe of a really neat mapping job. Something I've seen a lot of from Simple.

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 17:28
i've not seen any mapping jobs from simple which have left me particularly impresses ... infact there are alot of peoples mapping that doesn't.

the best way there is to skin an object is to make sure you make one once it is low - then add the detail up, once the mesh is quite complex you'll already have the basis to work from and its just a case of closing gaps rather than making sure that all of you're mesh is keeping the shape of the texture you place on it.
Good Texture artists are able to fixx problems with the UV Map, but that doesn't mean its acceptable to leave them as problems - i mean when your working exclusively in CGR and the textures can be setup as single maps easily then that is no problem, because all your doing is cutting the mesh up and doing a standard planner map on it ... BUT when you start working towards the goal of keeping everything tidy, you'll be using very few mesh and you have to actually wrap the areas of the model together because you simply filter the edges of them the same as highpolygon maps.

That said EVEN when working with CGR you should still be working the minimum engine work - because else you'll add hours -> days of rendering time to your work.
So its only a lazy 3D artist who will sit there and simply planner map everysection with the edging of a texture to solve the problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:50:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:50:35