Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Ruins: EB - Screenshots of EARLY stages

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This is a screenshot from the game i've been working on for about a month. The trees don't have tops and the hand isn't textured Getting to it. Tell me what you think!

Thanks!
P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Crap, did the pic not work?

If not, here

http://tksoft.50g.com/screenshot.jpg

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Just can't have nice things ... any other image servers out there I can use peeps? Sorry, and searching.

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
[href]http://scastudent5.hdigi.com/tdrinkard/images\screen~1.jpg[/href]

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
::sigh::

[img]http://scastudent5.hdigi.com/tdrinkard/images\screen~1.jpg[/img]

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 01:30
Argh, my pet hate - white fogging! The sky is blue people! And if the fog is set to a slightly deaper hue than the sky it looks like.... wait for it.... real-life distance haze! YAY!

That aside your ground texture is nice and high detail and wraps well but there really isn't much else to say because from the picture we can't really see anything else.

Good luck with it

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol, there isn't much anything else, and as for the "sky" ... you're right, the sky is blue, but I haven't gotten to adding that yet, so fog will do for now Just wanted comments on HUD placement, icons, etc. Thanks though, I would want you to be honest if it SUCKED, lol.

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
P.S. I WOULD have a lot more if someone would tell me how to get a darn X file to correctly convert to BSP. It would make my world making so much easier and quicker. I'm using Maya, and can take it from Maya to .X easily, with all the textures. But what cautions do I take in Maya to make absolute sure it will convert correctly?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 01:57
I've not used Maya - but before getting Cartography Shop my brother had some sucess in Max by starting with a cube, dividing it x/z many times and raising squares from out of the cube, then at the end he just used optimise.

CS is much more reliable at the .x to .bsp import, but I wrote one game with it and have shelved .bsp for the time being as I find the system is slower than i'd hoped, and does not give the freedom I believed it would when I waited for CS to arrive.

Curves please, let me model a racetrack!

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, i'll try that. I was using a boolean cube to close the level but that maybe be a no-no! Thanks

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a start...

Cheers.

Toughest line of codecol$=asc(left(Pcol$)),1+str$(rev)+chr(80)+left(right(mid(name$),1),1)
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, once I get the BSP probs worked out, it'll be golden I was holding off on world construction till I found something that works with what i'm trying to do. If anyone knows a way to have castle walls that you can both walk on, and destroy, be my guest to blab about it here! BSP seems to be non-updatable (understandibly) and .X files seem to have a problem with "player is walking on me" collision detection. BTW, thanks guys.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 11:00
How would I solve your castle wall problem....

It really does depend on the design of the castle walls - if I couldn't do maths collision (where you manually code your collision zones - I use variable centre locations or 'hot spots' to allow me to use the same code to detect multiple castles) because of a complex object shape I would be tempted to use .bsp too.

If there are few other .bsp objects and you are using a matrix or plain for the rest of your world, then loading in each section of the castle as a .bsp might not be too slow - that would allow you to delete the bsp and reload a damaged section, however...

From what I can tell, delete bsp seems to remove the entire bsp map from memory and not just a loaded cell - it's either all or nothing - so it's likely you'll have to reload the other parts of the castle too.

You might have some sucess with polygonal collision, but you'll need very few polygons on your object to have it work well.

Create a 'collision object' which is a single polygon hidden object and position this where the player is - now as you move use maths collision to detect when you are close to one of your castle part objects - when this is true you could then check the hidden single polygon to see if it is colliding with the wall - if it is move the hidden poly up and check again (steps) and failing that, prevent the player from moving or calculate sliding data.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 17:21
Well... I can't say anything, your screenshot shows a matrix with some cylinders and fog, it's not really much to go on.
And I'm really sorry to tell you this, but the .x to BSP converter is a pile of junk, I couldn't even get it to compile a simple one room box.

I sound so negative this morning...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2003 19:31
I had some sucess (20% or so) in importing 3ds Max created files into .bsp. I exported .3ds from Max then used 3D Exploration to convert them to .x

I have around 90% sucess rate converting Cartography Shop created .x files into .bsp. However I encounter a few erroneous collision zones I couldn't cure.

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Stretched boxes not cylinders (too many polys) And as far as loading just the castles in BSP goes, I would have no way of telling what the distance between the castles were, or the scale to make everything. And besides that, I did finally manage to take a Q3Radiant BSP into DBPro, but after I made it a little larger (terrain and tupperware "leak" box) I get an error from DBPro while loading. And also, you can only load one BSP at a time, and you can't "place" it when you do. All very restricting problems. It hasn't gotten far in a month (since I've had DB) because of this damn design problem. But thanks for your help all. That single polygon checking sounds pretty promising! I've tried writting code to "push" the player up when he collides with the top or side of collision boxes, but he just jumps up and through the collision box. Any ideas on how that gets fixed?

I think I had

or something close to that

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:12:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:12:00