Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Ways doors open

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 02:30
I dont know if any one else thinks this, but the way the doors open, is really annoying. I mean, you open a door, and it only opens one way. Yes, I know thats how they work in the real world, most of them any way. But having the door open into you doesnt feel, or look good.

I dont know if I have any point to this, but would any one else like to comment?
Klick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 07:41

So.... you want the door<s> to open by pushing against your comp screen?

[A]NJL`s [N]on-[G]oody-goody [E]xtermination [L]eague [C]arrying [O]ut [M]ass [M]urdering of [A]NJL`s [N]efarious [D]evotees -Essence of ANGEL COMMAND
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2006 15:34
A N G E L C O M M A N D, that doesnt really make sense to me. How can I push my screen to open a door, thats just stupid.

Id like the doors to open both ways. So when your infront of one, you press the use key and it opens outwards, not inwards.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2006 01:41
Doors in FPSC open one way and that can be either away from the player or towards him. You can choose which of those ways by rotating the directional arrow before click placing it from either the inside or outside of a room. In essence FPSC was designed to be linear and thus I suppose the player would always be moving forward and the doors could therefore be placed accordingly to always open away from the player.

However its not always practical to expect a player not to want to go back from whence he came in which case the doors would be opening the wrong way into the players face.

This also can be addtionally problematical for enemies to navigate through the door spaces when doors open towards them as with swing type doors as they find it even harder to negociate a way through them - god knows its almost impossible for them to pass a swinging door at the best of times even if they have a good angle on approach. Setting a door to open at any entities approach at a greater range than the default will allow the door to open well before an enemy gets right up to it and that will allow them the best chance of getting through - otherwise if the hit a closed or opening door before the collision is set to off they get completely confused. They have no in built avoidance routines in such circumstances and behave with the intelligence of a snail.

Swinging doors should be set up to take accpunt of the door frame rebate or recess which a door frame has so should be placed the correct side as in real life.

From the point of gameplay it matters not what reality says - doors as suggested should always open away from a player and enemies - unless workarounds can be put in place for improved avoidance.

Not sure how professional engines control such door movement.

Any door model could be animated to swing both ways and controlled or set up to do so via script, however I do not see an easy way inbuilt into FPSC by default by which we could get the engine to know which side of the door the player or other entity is approaching.

There is one way that may work, but it would take some work to set up :

A model needs to have a swing through say 30 or 60 frames - half swing in - half swing out - then one would need two triggers (Activation switches/proximity sensors) one each side of the door each one having a separate script to call the correct animation frame sequence (OPEN IN OR OUT) at the correct entity location either side of the door. That should work unless the engine treats the door animation frame commands in script erratically ignoring them in preference to any in built door animation commands which FPSC has.

Perhaps TGC por someone else will do this for the community.

I dont have time at the moment but may get around to looking at it when I get past all the other such things of a similar nature I am currently working on. Its in my long list of things to do (just like TGC has) for my game upgrade.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 09:26:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 09:26:45