Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / What makes me mad!! & what should I say?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was in school with my friends and they all know I make games. They are very tough critics! Well FPS creator is a BIG step up from what I used to use. I already made a game and they all realy liked it. So, I got a team together to make a realy great all super super dooper good game! But, my team keeps saying FPS does not have THE BEST graphics. Than they start comparing it to the Doom 3 engine and Steam! And Im like look, were not going to make the next HALO,DOOM,HALFLIFE, what ever! But than they asked me why I should not use the Steam engine and just make a MOD for HL2! What should I say?

I like FPS becouse I can give my games to people and since its not a mod they don't need a "base" game to play. See what Im saying?

Well, Have any of you have this kind of thing happen?

-Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 04:35
Just tell them you want to start out small, then work your way up. I tell my friends that ALL the time when they say, "it doesnt look like Halo or BF2, you suck at game making!"

Some friends, eh?
Dangerous Bob
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya some friends, well I will just tell them that mabye if this game is a "hit" with the kids at school than we can go up from there. (Some kids realy look forward to my games belive it or not).

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 15:57
Steam is the Devil's Work

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2006 04:40
Hmm, do you REALLY want to try programming in Steam? (I think it is a variation of C or so) But that is not all, you have to get a model editor for the levels, and it has to be able to handel the sizes... that is doable, but now you have to spend more time modeling what you want then actually getting it working... and that is 1 FPSC advantage.

Merranvo Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Noob Justice League, Cause We Have More Fun
Support Merra XJ9, cause the name is cooler.
MR elevetor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2006 14:53 Edited at: 5th Mar 2006 14:57
I doubt you´ll make a game that you´ll sell in stores,
but if you want to make REAL GOODgames check out the havok engine! http://www.havok.com
You must be damn rich to buy it tho!
You must also contact them!

So hard to choose!
Fpsc or DBPRO or Source or Havok or C++-....maybe its C++....
Dangerous Bob
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW, looks good, but, like you said, I don't expect to see my game in stores, only in kids backpacks at school.

Well, I can't wait for Raker9 to come out.

TheDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 11:10
Try having someone you dont know to beta test a game. Give an 8 year old 2 bux or something. You're not supposed to have people critique your games for numerous reasons:

They may:

a)be jealous of you like "OH, are you kidding? I can make this in 1 week with C++! You had to use some program with limited features! hahaha, hahaha, you'll never be good, hahaha, hahaha!"

b)not want to hurt your feelings and give you an unhonest opinion, like "OH, this is awesome, but lets play counterstrike now, okay?"

c)want to take that 2 bux for the weed stash, like: "2 bux, huh? Cool, *click* *click* *boom* *click*, AWESOME! Wheres my 2 dollars?"

Which is why it's better off to ask a complete stranger ( unless you're a little guy, dont be jumping into cars now ) and say "HEY YOU!" Check this out, than to ask somebody you already know.

Straight outta compton
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 11:41
I had a friend in College who wanted to work on a RPG game with me, so I knocked up a little demo to show him, and for a month he complained about a sword that the hero had. I eventually told him to go it alone.

The assumptions that are made about game creation can be frankly embarassing, it sounds to me that your the only one who has a clue about what they're doing and what's involved. Perhaps you just need your friends to help out and shut up, that's if they're at all serious about making any game.

I mean, why not demand to see some concept artwork, some models, some sound effects, or even a usable idea from them. Really, your gonna end up doing all the work, and they'll either mock it, or take credit for it, regardless of how good it is.
The thing about teams, is that you really have to get members that you need, opinions get very little done at the end of the day. Can any of them draw or model?.

It sounds to me like you have a team of designers, ideas men, folk who have this great idea for a FPS that would rock and make them all rich. Frankly I'd be tempted to hold off for one of them doing something positive towards the project before doing any more.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 12:58
Uhhh.... 1º of, Steam isn't a Game Engine, but a application to run Valves games (HL Source Engine (HL2), most actual mods of HL1 and some new games that that joined Steam).

Anyway, great friends you have there -_-

Perhaps you should aproach with a diferent talk with them, for exemple:
"Let's try to make a fun game with FPSC, not a BIG SUPA UBER 1337 game, jsut a fun small one."

This way they can't really "flame" you, becouse of the graphics and this and that.
Also, if they start "flaming" why making a game in FPSC engine, you can answer:
"Becouse we don't need a UBER 1337 engine to make a game that we enjoy playing for some hours, also, how many of us are here to make teh game? Also, we don't have 20years of exeprience like the ones at Valve, Midway, EA, etc."
"Also, how many game engines are out there to make FPS? We have lots and i really mean lot's of engines to make RPG games, and almsot none to make 3d ones, much less to make a FPS."

I really hate when people comes with *censured* comments about the stuff we make for FREE for them, specially our friends :/

Ohh well, what can we do? Just don't listen to them and get other ppl that enjoy our work We have billions of players out there looking for this type of work, some are willing to pay for it, others, not, but at least we know that we'll always have someone that will like our work.

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2006 20:47 Edited at: 7th Mar 2006 20:10
MY friends dont critisise me because none of them know how to do it themselves so its cool, though some people just have to critisise me, and yeah they think they can do better with their eyes closed, and their hands broken.(BREAK THEIR HANDS!!!!)...really annoying when people do that...

---->http://www.freewebs.com/lasse-b!<----Free segments!!
Dangerous Bob
Years of Service
User Offline
Tanks,

One guy is doing the music, Two are doing (helping lol) with the story, and making it. Music guy is also helping with consept art, I also do concept art.

Well lets be honest, I'm doing the whole thing
Hope to get some music from my friend tho, I found a good site u all might like,

http://www.vgmusic.com/
Im not selling my game, but if any of you are U might want to check the leagal stuff, I don't think there is any restrictions.

Opus Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 21:59 Edited at: 9th Mar 2006 12:31
Hi,

It can be disillusioning when something you’re excited about isn’t met with quite the same enthusiasm from others, especially if some of these guys are supposed to be working with you. To be able to critique something creative properly though you need to be able to see past the surface (in this case the graphics) as while they can play an important part in gameplay, they’re certainly not the only elements – your friends (like most people these days) sound like they are slaves to the never-ending race to have the best/most realistic graphics.

It’s not surprising really when the Publishers / Hardware Manufacturers drip feed eye candy screenshots and gloss-up the adverts that graphics have become a way many people will judge a game. Games like Ico / Shadow of Colossus demonstrate how graphics can be an integral part of the immersion whilst something like Katamari Damacy, whose visuals are largely functional, show an emphasis on core gameplay (Role of Player, Controls, Game Mechanics).

What I’m finding interesting now though, is as someone who’s been playing games for over 20 years a lot of my friends/colleagues no longer play mainstream games as much, opting instead for quirky internet games, the email Kung-Fu game was very popular at work. It’s nice to see some Indie Developers starting to get the praise they deserve to the point where last year’s critically acclaimed Indie hit “Darwinia” ended up being released via Steam!

Put aside the doubters (unless they have something constructive to say) and enjoy what you’re doing, because when you’re finished you’ll have the satisfaction of being able to sit back and say to yourself, “I did that”.

Cheers, Rich.
Dangerous Bob
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 09:18:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 09:18:04