Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Help me

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2003 22:16
Can someone please help me by showing me how to skin a charavter in 3ds max, i have looked on the net for tutorials but find they are aimed at more advanced users who already have a good knowlege of the program so if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Thanx
Sweet
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 07:36
modifier stack list->"skin" then adjust envelopes

all that stuff is on the tutorials on the max help bit, you don't need to look at other tuts(maybe I'm wrong...depends).

yeah I see her as often as my computer lets me.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 12:12
Some people mean texturemapping when they say skin, is that what you mean? 3dcafe has chilliskinner tutorials and such if you mean that

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 20:38
yes i mean texture mapping

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 07:41
in the stack modifiers select unwrap uvw and use the material editor(press m) and click the square thing next to the difuse map

opo
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 08:16
On the new window on the menu bar on the top there should be something called mapping, under it there should be something called flat mapping click on that, a dialogue box opens just click ok, on the modifiers stack list expand the uvw hierarchy
and click on the select face, then select faces from a view port you want adjusted and in the edit window thing move it around to where you want. Render it to see your end result.

If things aren’t too clear just ask again

opo
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 08:19
never mind the weird post 2 above a stupid friend of mine kinda stole the mouse for a while and did stuff.

opo
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 08:20
use the material editor(press m) and click the square thing next to the difuse map(or colour swatch(top one)-I can't remember) and select bitmap and find your texture file and open it. the square thing should now have a M on it. Drag the new material you made to the object on a viewport and then on the stack list select UVW Unwrap, on one of the roll outs(can’t remember which one-shouldn’t be too hard) click the edit button, a new window pops up, on the new window on the menu bar on the top there should be something called mapping, under it there should be something called flat mapping click on that, a dialogue box opens just click ok, on the modifiers stack list expand the uvw hierarchy and click on the select face, then select faces from a view port you want adjusted and in the edit window thing move it around to where you want. Render it to see your end result.

If things aren’t too clear just ask again

opo
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 08:20
theres the proper one, very sorry

opo
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 15:55
that works thanx but it seems quite difficult, i have seen people do it another way where it's like they take a picture of every part of the object then save it open it up edit the textures on each part of the object then load it into max and apply it to the object, how would i do this, if this makes any sense at all.

x-d

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 16:08 Edited at: 20th Mar 2003 16:10
First install the free Texporter plugin which
allows to send the meshes's UVMapping on an image.

Second is to add a UVWMap modifier(select planar),

then separate in groups of your choice(preferably small amounts of faces for each one),

after you separated all groups(an invisible object frame/matrix still exists when you separate all faces from an object,delete it by getting out of the sub-objects operations and simply hit delete key)

Choose a group to start with(usually I start with the head or torso) and add an UVWUnwrap modifier to it...From now on there are many different ways to texture but the easiest is to hit the Sub-Object button and select all the faces from the current group,click on the edit button to see the Uvs and go back to the Panel to hit the Averaged Normals button...now this will place the UVmapping according to the shared-angles of your groups so if there wasn't any more difference than 45 degress between faces of each groups,the averaged normals mapping will lay the UVs flat and nice...you see it's not that hard,you can finally re-attach every groups in a single mesh and re-weld the vertice.

Last step is to send the UV to a map via texporter and apply it to a material to put on the model....Voila.

remember though that this is how I would do it and you're better off learning as much as you can by yourself or by reading the manuals.

If the task seems too hard,just get Lithunwrap then

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:44:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:44:58