Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / unusually high fps

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 17:21
has anyone ever recieved 160-190 fps? I did at it is wierding me out since we settle for 32ish. I have to take my son to the store but when I get back I will post the screenshot for you and maybe a video

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, when u test a game, press X and you will BOOST your fps

kallikúkurerekkicool
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
that's propably what you did

kallikúkurerekkicool
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 18:49
How can that be possible? Can you do this in a built game too?
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 19:36
I didn't push x. it was running at 32 and the jumped to 160 ish and then stayed there. I'm not complaining but would liketo understand why it happened. Not sure if it si a built game or not but I will let you know.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 19:36
no, only in test game

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 19:39
i have never had that happen before in a test game

-- Winston Churchill
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
that happens to me if i press x

kallikúkurerekkicool
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:15
same for me

JEEZ!You people just STFU! You waste more space complaining about people wasting space than the people your bashing! Man, I thought I had no life.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:44
uhm wierd. so I'm not completely crazy then. sweet. ok this can be locked.

-- Winston Churchill
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:51
LOCK....LOCK.... ok my "try to control forum thingy's for mods with my mind"does not work quite well....

[href]www.freewebs.com/edromeproductions[/href]
look there for all my model packs latest updtes and other stuff!
(its not old yet)
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 20:52
try harder, you have the force with you. uhm anyway lock it out!

-- Winston Churchill
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 22:20
um, yea pushing x is a feature to unleash the FPS. Lee added it on purpose.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 13:53
I suppose it can come in handy when recording a video of in game play.

-- Winston Churchill
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 15:14
Now if someone was to add timer based movement to the FPSC source, then that would be cool. Basically you calculate the amount of frames that have passed in each main loop, and use this as a multiplier. Say the frame rate is locked at 35 most of the time, so that's what the speed vectors are all based on, the multiplier should equal 1.0 when the frame rate hit's 35. So if your moving an object 1 unit at a time at 35 frames per second, you can move it at 0.1 units at 350 frames per second. The point is to make your speeds frame-rate-independant.

With that in place, the frame rate could be unlocked, PC's that could handle it can get more visuals, the game would run at a constant speed regardless of frame rate, and it would be smoother as long as the frame rate kept above the locked rate.

There's a lot of pro's and con's with timer based movement, but FPS games tend to be played a lot more and FPS players tend to have good PC's - it'd be a shame if your game could only ever possibly run at 30fps, even on a ninja PC.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 16:54 Edited at: 8th Mar 2006 17:04
Well the someone should be TGC.

They have a facility obviously available that can allow for faster fps in test mode but take it away for final games so that the games made with the product and gameplayers recieve no benefit - good thinking that?

Whatever the reason? and there may be some good reason that TGC are aware of for capping game fps - perhaps they might like to clarrify this? although I suspect not - any of the various options for increasing gameplay speeds and making that more efficient should be and would undoubtedly best be done by TGC.

If FPSC has capability of suporting any method of improving games made with it with faster, smoother fps - it should be included in the engine and that does not of course not overdie any need to fix issues or bugs such as the serious lagg issue which severely affect fps and gameplay.

All of the speed issues can also affect the overall quality of games made with the product by restricting game design and both the level and quality of content included in them which again impacts on the end user experience and opinion of games made with it - adversley reflecting on the product capability, potential and professionalism.

It would be of benefit all around if these issues could be addressed if there are no technical reasons unknown to users why this should not be done and TGC are the best and perhaps only people who could do this effectively.

I presume there are indeed reasons that TGC are aware of for capping and so on or otherwsie presumably such would not otherwise be the case. If thats not the case then let TGC free up that fps to users and any other speed issues or bugs well thats for TGC to consider at the appropriate time and I hope that they will if not already doing so.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 17:12
Publishers don't care if your game runs at 10fps or 200fps, if it works then that's enough.

Sounds stupid, but it's wise to use the locked frame rate in FPSC's case because it means that they're not dealing with more speed issues, and they can set a minimum spec based on the frame rate, not how jerky it is . I was suggesting timer based as an alternative engine, like more for people who are using DBPro to develop the engine themselves. One big factor is that your not as sure of some aspects - like with about 30 enemies you could say that every loop, 1 enemy gets it's AI checked, so you'd know that the AI rougly calculates every second. Now with timer based movement, your AI might need to be a lot different, it might check the AI 10 times a second on a fast PC and 10 times a week on a slow PC, not ideal!. Same goes for collision - your code has to be able to cope with moving and tracking objects dynamically. ODE physics nails a headache onto it too, because that's already timer based, anyone seen what happens to ODE physics when pressing X? (not a statement, a question, never messed with it myself). It could also be that the adoption of ODE physics maybe did most of the leg work for us (working with velocities and mass rather than speeds).

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 19:17
Exactly - thats the whole point in FPSC it dont work. i.e. for numerous and various reasons fps and gameplay speeds overall are difficult or impossible to maintain at acceptable rates when creating games which may be widely varying in design and complexity.

Personally I do pretty well but its unproportionately hard work maintaining high and stable speeds and no matter how experienced one is there are issues which the end user cannot affect and which impact severely on FPS and gameplay speeds.

All I am saying is if there are current limitations which TGC have imposed due to considered opinion that says its necessary then thats fine - though it does not mean that they should not do what they can to improve the situation when its clearly a problem for end users or alternatively if its not necessary remove the limitation.

I fully understand that there are technical issues and what may in general terms, though perhaps not specifically in this case the exact implications and impact those issues have in realation to game speeds as I did not creat and dont undersatnd the softwares internal complexities.

Whatever the technical reasons - in the final analysis like you suggested above regarding publishers - end users dont care, dont know and dont want to know. They just know they have a speed problem and dont want or need it. The technical issues are ones for a developer to concern themselves with and like end users have to do when using the software - endeavour to find ways to overcome those issues that they as the developers of the product should strive to improve to meet with the products aims and objectives as a game making tool.

Currently it does not do that - effectively - the lagg issue in particular of itself being a serious hinderance to the end user making games that those publishers you mention would care about.

Still I appreciate your comment and above staements which I cant comment on specifically as I dont know the exact situation reagarding this engines internal workings - I take your word for it that it is as you say.

Anyway thats my opinion and I know i'm just repeating myself so I leave this one there.

Cheers

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2006 20:47
Have you all noticed how preesing 'u' gives you lag also?
'x' boosts fps
'u' decreases fps
't' resets fps

Fujitsu-Siemens "Scaleo-P" with Windows XP OS, Pentium 4, 3.2GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, and a 128MB ATI RADEON X300 Graphics card.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 09:21:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 09:21:30