Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Non Violent Capabilities???????????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does FPS Creator have a way to make a non violent game???????
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 15:43
You could, but it's harder to do so, since it hasn't been created for that purpose. You will need to do a lot of scripting (and modeling perhaps too) to get it done.

I'm working on a non-violent children's game. It's a 3D enviroment in which kids will learn something about a subject. They learn by 'interacting' with characters in the enviroment. While going through this world, they have to play mini games in order to get to certain places and levels.

A few examples of these mini games are:

Pac-man style maze, pick up 10 balls in a maze to open a door.
Find hidden keys.
Build a bridge to cross a gap.
Finding an object and bringing it to a certain place to continue to the next level.

I've even managed to create a Q&A style level, the player is asked a number of questions and the correct answer gives him a code. With this code he's able to open a door.

You could possible think up many more non violent aspects, but you would need to script them yourself. But that is imo the great challenge, at least for me.

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
Habatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 16:18
Exactly as Benjamin A said.
Dont give weapons to player. And make an escenario for a Quest game. FPSC are not designed especific for this, but you can do perfectly.

But as Benjamin A said, you may need a lot of screpts.
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 17:27 Edited at: 9th Mar 2006 17:27
Also one fun thing which I do all the time - By default you can pick up items and throw them. No extra scripts. So you can throw balls at things which can then fall down or break. Stack boxes to jump up and get out of places.

Ok, maybe its just fun for me.

"I dont think I like the idea of my little photon being touched up by a switched off proggy and finishing off without ever actually getting inside." - Fallout
Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 18:58
I thinks thats fun too

---->http://www.freewebs.com/lasse-b!<----Free segments!!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 20:05
I've alway wanted to make a 3D enviornment that you could basicly just explore. FPSC would be perfected for it, exept for the fact that you have a very small area to make... stuff.

http://tinypic.com/egv4u8.gif
Dangerous Bob
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh give me a brake! It's called FPS Creater! as in First Person Shooter. Now how can something with GUNS be non violent?

AAHH What a World....But yes you could take out the blood if you want to cut out some of the gore.

-Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die.
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
I think making a non violent game would make people stretch their talents. Trying to figure out how to make it fun without having to rely on weapons and violence would be a challenge. I think Bejamin has already stated some great ideas for clever non violent and challenging situations for a game.

I propose a contest for a non violent level. This would be a good chance for everyone who wanted to participate in the last contest that fell thru to have a go at it. If anyone is interested we could make a new forum for it. Rules and such to be worked out of course. I would personally be willing to donate a small prize. Anyone else that would like to donate to sweeten the pot and make it more tempting.(Maybe one of those Model Packs could be donated too?) Please think it over and maybe we can work this up to something fun for everyone. I think one rule would be to limit the content to only stock items etc. that come with FPS Creator to keep the playing field even.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 07:37
Quote: "I would personally be willing to donate a small prize. "

Like what?

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got 50 bucks(or Euro equivelent amount) to donate to the prize pool. It can be a gift card to a store (ex.Barnes and Noble)or a Money order to the winner. Its a lot to some, maybe not much to others. Anyhoo, that's my contribution. Again, I do think the media should be restricted to original content only. Anyone match my offer, or have old software or such to contribute? I think this could be fun. $50.00 is certainly more than The Game Creators did in their last contest!
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 16:21 Edited at: 10th Mar 2006 16:21
Hmmm, I don't think many people are ready to work on such an exstencive project so soon. A contest would be more suited for a different style of game.

To make a non-violent game, it would require lots more skill as Benjamin already pointed out. You would need (most likly) to be able to animate characters talking, that's a lot of work right there if you don't know how. You would have to have LOTS of usable items that do things besides "BANG!".

My point is, to make a non-violent game, it takes way more time then we could manage in a contest. And contests are more fun when lots of people participate.

Conclusion:
In conclusion I have decided it would be better if the fifty dallor prize (and hopefully a model pack) should go to the lazy person that makes a plain old shooter game, lol

I think, before we do a challenging contest, we need to do a few that stimulates people to do more and better things. I mean, just imagine how many noobs would be confused to death if they tried to implement Benjamins questions thing
All the same, I feel like this community needs a well-deserved contest, don't you?
-Sunflash

http://tinypic.com/egv4u8.gif
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 17:11
try RPG maker XP its easyer for NON-VOILANT games...

[href]www.freewebs.com/edromeproductions[/href]
look there for all my model packs latest updtes and other stuff!
(its not old yet)
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

For the contest I only suggested one level with existing materials for the fun of it. Not a complete game. And if others would donate something to the prize it would get more people involved. Still, if no one is interested then that's okay. It sounded fun and challenging at the time.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 22:34
I do like the idea of this contest, it will prove a real challenge. I may have a headstart though, I've got a complete non violent project completely done.

I'm just waiting for the new model packs since hopefully they will have some modern day non-violent looking characters in it also, if not I may have a different solution. Once I've got the right characters, my project is done and it will be released. It's Dutch only at the moment, but I may translate it. If not, I'll be working on a second non-violent project that will be in Dutch and English.

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Bejamin,

Where on your site do you have info on your game? I don't speak Danish. I looked around a little and could not find anything that seemed to point to game materials. Didn,t know if you had any screen shots for it.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 00:34
There isn't any game material yet on the website, since the project hasn't been released. Even though it is finished, I still need the characters. Once I've got those I'll post some screenshots also.

I'm working on an FPS at the moment also in which I do implement a number of my scripts used in the non-violent project. I'll be posting some screenshots of that game later one. I'm not sure in what form that game will be released, but you will all have a chance to play it (either demo or full game) when it's done.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 01:07
Just wondering what you guys definition of Non-Violent is?

1. Lethal weapons and blood
2. Paintball or other types of ammo...like flowers?

Hmmm. The list can keep going but just realised all my "non-violent" ideas need some of kind of custom content. If its purely with the included fpsc media, then I'd tend to agree with Benjamin and Sunflash.

As for prizes, I'm waiting to see where the contest goes, as in a more defined or agreed on. It probably won't be the current model pack, but some other custom content.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 01:13
In my case, the non-violent is using no guns whatsoever. But paintball is an idea too

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
i thought that might be the challenge end of it. What can be done with the materials available to make a non violent game. One web site creates games in a week as an educational course. Because of the time constraints they don't focus on the media but what elements would be fun and playable. Sometimes a mediocre game is made because everything is built around an element that was cool but did'nt fit, so they'ed make it fit because time or money wasn't an issue. They'ed use a bad idea because they had time to try to make it work. Enough of my rambling. I think the site was Experimental games.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 09:18:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 09:18:47