Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Smaller exes via a runtime style system revisited.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 21:09 Edited at: 9th Mar 2006 21:16

http://winch.pinkbile.com/exe_shrink.php

Exe shrinker is a runtime style system for darkbasic pro exes. Instead of the dbpro dlls
being stored in the exe they are sourced from the dbpro installation directory. This
makes the exes much smaller.

The old version of the program produced an exe. When this exe was run it would build a dbpro exe and then run it. The new version uses a much better system using the way dbpro handles compressed exes.

With a compressed exe the dbpro exe sees that the first appended file is "compress.dll". It then extracts "compress.dll" and then calls the decompress_block function within the dll. To this function it passes a pointer to the rest of the appended data and its size. The "compress.dll" then decompresses the data and returns a pointer to the decompressed data back to the dbpro exe.

This program uses its own compress.dll and instead of recieving compressed data it recieve a list of files the exe needs. The files are then read from the dbpro install dir and passed back to the dbpro exe as if they where decompressed. Currently it needs a seperate program to write the list of files to the dbpro exe. In the funture I hope to improve it so you can use it to replace the default compress.dll.

Since all the dbpro dlls are removed from the exe the exes are much smaller. The spinning cube demo is reduced from 4.9Mb to 137Kb.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 21:30
nice
*downloads*

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 23:24
Nice work, but does this mean that one would need DBPro in order to run these exes? In which case I can't see much use for this, apart from distributing EXEs to specific DBPro developers.

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 08:27
*Echo of Hamish*

M.I.A is pending
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 11:49
*Tripple echo*

Currently working on (trying) making a new 3d engine for/within dark basic classic out of basic 2d commands, with vertex edit supported.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2006 13:40 Edited at: 10th Mar 2006 13:42
was it you that wrote that other .exe compressor some while ago?
that program rocked, but then i lost it and now i cant find it again.

but if this is an updated version of that tool then its even better.

oh and *quad echo*

edit: quote from his site:
Quote: "In order to run the small exes on a different system the same version of dbpro needs to be installed."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 04:37:59
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 04:37:59