Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Main Character Model, need Opinion.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 06:07
Alrighty...

I took a long break from coding my game, and I decided to work on the main character model again. I've taken it through many a revision and I need a second opinion/Flame...dont worry unlike my last post about 'critiquing' I've put my ego in my pocket for the next couple of post. Anywayz without further wait heres the monstrosities of bad taste.

[img]http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius2.jpg
[/img]

just a few notes:
1. I hide his cloak...it was giving me a headache.
2. This is the quad-mesh. The triangulated one comes to 1550
polyes.
3. I need a good refrence on the calf muscles...help!
"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 06:19
Yo Indi thanks but netfirms is being gay.

Well shaft. Sorry for wasting the above space. Apprently I cant link directly. So I guess anyone that wants to see will have to copy and paste the urls.

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius1.jpg

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius2.jpg

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius3.jpg

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 06:39
Not bad, what's the poly count? Is that head finished or are you still working on it?

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 07:28
The poly count is 1550 for just the triangulated body mesh. The head for the most part is done, however I haven't modelled the hair yet. Also I'm working to give the impression of clothing.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 07:35
Yeah I thought so, not a lot of bald main characters, maybe in 20 years, lol.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 14:01
not bad... head could do with a little shaping, as he looks a little squished on the X axis - especially the mouth, knees and elbows arn't setup for animations so may want to look ito that.
Best way to setup limb for animation, on the point where you expect it to pivot - you have a kinda triangle of mesh

just taking the back of the elbows and front of the knees and Chamfering them should do, ofcourse neating them up a little to resemble triangles from above for the elbow and the side for the knee.

the heal's of the feet look a littl offset outwards, i'd bring the tops of them in a little to round it off.
hands also good do with a little shaping...

most of the chages would be very minor - just to get batter shaping and would be best to use Soft Selection to do it too.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 16:31
looks real good, is it an elf? if so your going to need to make the body a bit thinner, if It's a human dont make the ears so big

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 17:48
Raven: Hmmm...I was curious about the elbows, perhaps you could provide a more visual example of a correctly done mesh. And also do you know where I could find good refrence of the calf/foot?

Blazer: Thanks, yes it is an elf and I've had this conversation before. The Elf Myth can be easily shaped to fit the confines of the stories own mythology.

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 03:05
Could anyone provide an example of correct geometery around the joints?

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 12:20
It's subjective depending on what you want to emphasize in your model, but I think you'll find out what raven means when you go to animate him, one way is just to try it and get a feel for how that could be improved, when you see how that mesh reacts to the stressing of bones warping it, you'll see why areas like those joints need to have more detail to cope

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 17:43
Hmmm, you speak wisdom. I was hoping for a resource, but I will eventually have to try it myself. When I get to my home computer later tonight I intended to post a 'slightly textured version".

LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good to me....

i wanterwhat ever happend to that guy who was goign to do the models fer my game....well in anycase your looks very nice

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 17:03
good work.

respect!

be sure to make an extra edge (split the face) under the foot just where the toes are. This is for the chap's walking. So he actually can bend his foot.

I hate it that this forum doesn't have an upload function for images. a 50kb limit would be enough.

Now it's the hard part right, the head. Good luck.

Modeling is fun. But it's only 1/5 of the job.

- Kjetil
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 00:56
Hehe thanks. If modeling 20% of the job, whats the other 80%?

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 08:37
How will its joints works? I think the arms will gonna go flat if it's bended... On my first look, too many polys (I'm not used to it, I usually make a character for 700+ polys), but VERY nice!!!

Kjetil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 22:16
This is how I see it for games:

1/5 modeling
1/5 uv-mapping
1/5 texturing
1/5 rigging
1/5 animating

Off course, it depends on how much animation work you are going to do, but for a simple walk cycle it should be 1/5 approximently.

All is depending on the other, a good texture can make a bad modeling job look okay, but if the modeling is good then the model with good texturing, wil be excellent. You can not texture a model good if you don't have a good uv-layout. And you cant animate if you don't have a good rigg, a bad animation wil ruin the whole model, even if it wil be excellent. If you have a bad rigg then a good animation wil look okay, if you have a good rigg, then a good animation wil be excellent. All these jobs can be done seperatly or as one job, but the result wil depend on the work with all the jobs. So, modeling is fun, but it's a little part of the job.

Don't get me wrong here, your model is excellent and all respect to that. It's allways nice to see a good modeling job. But some of the jobs like rigging and uv-mapping is no visual job, and it can not be a show-off, but still is just as important.

I don't know where I'm going at with all this. And I don't know how much work you are planning to do with the model. And I know it's so easy for me to say: "Ohh, let se that chap(model) walking around and kicking some but", or "Ohh, good model, but I you just give him some painting that would bee cool", because it is much more work than "just".

a few other things;
- what's the calf muscles? Sorry my english is not so good.
- I have some of the same problem with the joints (knees and elbows), I could never figure just how it should be, but recently I seen some work from my teacher that could work.
- what proggram?

- Kjetil
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2003 03:45
Hehe, nice essay. I know this , The geometery has changed ALOT. I'll upload a few new screen shots later tonight. I made this guy is Lightwave, BTW my texture is coming along nicely, but the D-Storm conversion tool is giving me hell, also the character is about 15 percent rigged. More when I upload the images.

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2003 04:18
Ok heres the semi Textured/modified Version. If you would be so kind as to copy and paste these url's into a new window.

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius4.jpg

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius5.jpg

I deleted the Cloak Geometery from the second picture because it was getting in the way of the view . I added geometery in the elbows and knee's, and from what I can tell they deform near perfectly under LW. Now if I could just get that damnable D-Storm Exporter to work, I could export my weightmapped animations.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2003 09:37
hehe you got it, those "darts" (to borrow a textiles analogy) at the elbows look right to me

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Masked Man Of Mystery
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, Cool model! You might need to increase the polycount on the top of his head though, it look a bit dodgy (kind of bumpy). I wish I could creat as good a model as that!

Work Smarter, not Harder!
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2003 17:09
Thanks !

So far the Poly Count for the head is 420. Here's a better picture.

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius6.jpg

Most of the "bumpyness" will be taken out when I finish adding hair. Anybody know the max texture resolution of DBPro?

Eponick
Years of Service
User Offline

Whats it look like smoothed?

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 00:05
Excellent model wish i could do em like you but unfortunatly mine are crap beyong belief i don't think i would dare show them on a public forum,great job though is that for your retro comp game?

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 00:51
Eponick:

Well thats my 'game model' my cinema model looks like such:

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius8.jpg.

My cinema model has about he same amount of polys as my game model but its just subpatched.

Heres the whole guy so far:

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius9.jpg

lcfcfan:

My Retro Entry..sadly no , I don't plan to enter the game...mainly because I have a bad habit of setting nonrealistic goals......ok I started an RPG first....dont look at me like that.....stop it! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

What program are you using? Post some of your work, maybe I could give a pointer or 2?

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 00:55
Err! darn urls...I wish I could spell!

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elryius8.jpg

http://silvermoonstudios.netfirms.com/Elyrius9.jpg

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 23:29
Yeah if you could give me a few tips i would really appreciate it i'm using 3ds max i might post a pic of another model i'm doing i did one last night but i'm ashamed of that so no pics for a day or 2.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:05:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:05:11