Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Moving on an object....How???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all, wow this looks a great place, it looks fun ^_~

Ok, as a girl who needs help from all the strong men here (as if!) I am stuck on something in DarkBasic 1.13.

Here is my question:

I have a flat matrix. (No problem there)
I have created a ball. (No problem there either)
I loaded in an X model of a bridge and put it on the matrix. (Ooo..Im doing SOOOO well)

Now the problem.

My little ball moves about the matrix fine, but when itgets to the bridge it just goes through it.
I want it so that when it hits the bridge that my ball will roll over the thing.

I made a hole in the flat matrix and put the bridge over it, but of cause all the ball did was to follow the matrix and go down the hole and then back up the other side!!!

So PLEASE you nice people you...... Can someone show me how I can get the ball to do what I want?

Thanks ever so much.

Ta ta for now.

Mary
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 13:33
hehe you got the ball to follow the ground height but can't work out collision?? I'm not buying that
If you understand matrix' then why not make another matrix that conforms to your bridge, might save you some time

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 14:07
collision and the get ground height are different beaties, especially darkbasics collision (cause everything cept boxes is damn slow)

depending on how you've made your bridge will depend on how you setup the collision but in the Help -> Examples files you'll find an example called 'Sliding Collision' should help you out

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again.^_^

Thanks for the info, but I dont have a problem with finding out what I am hittig.

If you understand matrix' then why not make another matrix that conforms to your bridge.

How do I do that then???

depending on how you've made your bridge will depend on how you setup the collision.

Well I use a mixture for collision. I just get DarkBasic to report IF I am hitting SOMETHING and then I send it to my own routine which checks for what its hitting based on Math Co/Ords.
Its a fast way to do it, and as I said I dont have any problem with collision.

As for moving over the matrix, I use the "get ground height" and all that for it.....

But what I need is a simple routine that lets me move my ball (object number 1) over the bridge (object number 2).

Thats all.... nothing else.

Hey, I know I ama girl and all, but come on, throw me a bone here Im hitting a brick wall! @_@

Thanks again.

Mary

Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
And If I DONT get some help soon I will need chocolate.....And you would not want me to get fat now would ya? -_^
And your EDIT function dont work too well on the forum...Just thought I would say.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 21:43
Ok here's something rough...very rough but you get the idea?

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, that helped me a too a little ... but how could you turn that theory into using buildings with multiple levels?

P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 05:52
togamario:
I'd probably use multiple objects and collision for that, just simple collision would do where everything is trying to fall towards the ground but being stopped by the one underneath...If you bashed from the side it'd take out the block you bashed(the "building" should be hollow) and every one above that would fall...
But using a matrix probably would'nt look right in this way 'cos as far as i know the points are locked in x,z axis, you can only move them up& down, or the whole matrix left or right, forward or backwards. Now if you could tilt the matrix that would be differrent but as far as I know you can't.

If you look at Lee's tank demo's one of them has an example where he's resetting the matrix point heights dynamically to simulate terrain destruction, which is fine 'cos you just need a pit to get deeper and more messed up, with a building I'm guessing you want to be able to hit it from the side. If you just want it to fall straight down you could maybe use a matrix but your building's walls would be like one tile high and the texture would look very stretched...

Angeleyes: I forgot, you hide the matrix so all you see is your bridge

Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Dan...... Thanks for that.

But its not any good for me.

Yes it works, but it is still not what I need.

I dont know why this is so hard for people...Maybe DarkBasic cant do it...I dont know! @_@

But......Forgetting about where my ball maybe hitting the bridge, all I need is a simple routine that will make my ball move over the other object.

Moving over a matrix is no problem but I just cannot get one object to move over the top of another.

PLEASE can ANYONE help!?!??!?

Mary

Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Its ok.... I figured a way around it.

All I have done is checked to see if the ball X/Z co/ords are within the area of the bridge and if so I just let the ball move over the bridge. As soon as the co/ords are outside the area I let the ball back down on to the matrix again.

Still......Its a pitty I could not solve the problem the other way!

But thanks for all the help(^_~)

Mary

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 21:57
well the point always was that the matrix would be hidden(invisible) so that the ball would appear to roll over the bridge quite perfectly... You see you'd have 2 get ground height checks, one for the ground matrix and one for the bridge matrix, the bridge check having priority, it's not hard, very simple actually

TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you ghost a matrix?

LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
couldnt you just make a function that detects colusion with a object, gets its y height asnd repostion your y by + that.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 17:08
I am also having bridges and multiple matrices in my game. The trick now is to allow you to go over the bridge AND also allow you under the bridge.

(brain hurts sorting out where all the matrices cross over!)

Gronda, Gronda
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 20:32
Mmm Chocolate... tell ya what, you give me the chocolate then i can get fat
hahaa... oki maybe i won't get fat but atleast it'll be tasty.

i'll pop some code out to help later tonite

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 21:03
"I am also having bridges and multiple matrices in my game. The trick now is to allow you to go over the bridge AND also allow you under the bridge."

Really you should look at the demo program that comes with matedit 'cos it deals especially with this and I'd just be repeating that
Here's a link
http://www.matedit.com

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 21:06
togamario:

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 00:19
Thanks, I'll download it at work tomorrow. I am trying to avoid pre-made matrix editors so I learn myself and will be writing my own. My 'engine' already copes with most things like sliding collision, steep cliffs, e.t.c. What I am now trying to achieve is layering matrices on top of each other to get the effect of bridges, mountains with tunnel networks.

Not played with matedit for a long time now, so I'll see what it can do.

Gronda, Gronda
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, i'm trying to stay away from the pre-fab matrix editors too. But i've got a multi-matrix code that works really well, and for some reason whenever I try to make a matrix now, and position it over another matrix ... the program dies saying the matrix does not exist. And I did nothing different than the others.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a weird error Toga,

see the thing is: you use some program, not your stuff, so you can't really debug it.

I would just use my own editor from a scratch.

Cheers.

Current project for RGT:

ALL MY STUFF ARE GONE!! ALL OF IT!!!
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:33
Yeah I don't use matedit either though it's a well written prog, I made my own. What I'm saying is that the demo .dba files that come with it have a lot to teach whether you use matedit or not, they are well commented and part of one of them taught me how to do this "above/below/which matrix am i on now?" type stuff

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2003 14:40
Togamario : you may be able to fix your problem by making sure all your matrix' are positioned in the positive coordinates, once I had a similar problem and just making my world start at 0.0,0.0,0.0 fixed it. If part of your matrix is in the negative coordinates, some weird stuff can happen under certain circumstances 'tis a bitch to shift everything, but try it with a couple of things and see if it helps

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 02:57:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 02:57:53