Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th Mar 2006 22:24
I'm teetering on the brink of buying FPScreator.
Here's what's holding me back.
First and foremost, no offense to anyone(seriously)but I've yet to play a demo that doesn't include moron enemies that I simply have to take one or two steps backwards and dispatch at my leisure. That doth not excitement make. I have yet to see a demo or game that doesn't use the fpsc logo icon and they all have the same "loading" screen no matter what picture is being shown. I'd prefer to put a blurb saying "Made with FPSC" in my own artwork somewhere on my loading screen, cuz let's face it, and again no offense to anyone, but if a person sees right away that this game is "obviously" made with a game creator it's not a good thing.
Even the most modest of games have some kind of animated intro. I've eyet to see one. So, my point is, that I don't know whether or not any of these things are possible so that if I expend as much work as it would take to create a worthy game it has a chance at being sharewareable.
I'd love to be proven wrong. Show me!

Thanks

Dog
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 00:36
Its all up to the user. The user can add what ever the hell they like, to make it a better game. So dont go blaming fpsc, because you think it cant do any thing.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:18 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 01:19
@Doggie

Well nice try on the words you used, but you may find that talking normally may work for you better. Some of the words you used were in the wrong context.

Quote: "I've eyet to see one. So, my point is, that I don't know whether or not any of these things are possible so that if I expend as much work as it would take to create a worthy game it has a chance at being sharewareable."

I think the phrase you were looking for was "I don't know if any of these items that I have mention can be achieved. So it seems that it would take a great deal of time and effort to make a game that would have a chance of becoming a sharware/freeware quality product.

Anyway it is worth buying!

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
jacko101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:22
You can change all of the intro and outro screens and add you own in-game huds if that's what you want, but at first I guess most people just want to make a game, rather than make a custom start-up screen, although I did, and I changed the music too! There's loads of resources to 'add' to the FPSC experience too.

FPSC's AI isn't great, but if you can script, I'm sure it can be made better.

To be honest, at £30, I'm not sure what else you could get that does so much so easily. Is it perfect? No, it has bugs and it has failings, but most you can work around and hopefully they'll be an update from TGC soon to make things a little better.

If you need more, then you'll have to pay more, the torque engine, or maybe try quikly.com too.

repeat after me, you are not a developer.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:23
better understand C++ for torque.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
jacko101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:26
C++, yep. But if he wants an engine to do everything he wants, then that's what he'll have to do.

I'm quite happy with FPSC at the moment.

How are your hills coming along? I've put a few in a level and they look good, some of the textures are a little blurred but, mostly they're cool.

repeat after me, you are not a developer.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:32 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 01:33
sweet I can fix the textures, and well I think I am going to do some trenches next, and then release another hill/trench/canyon pack. it should be good.

I use three of the torque licences. (3d,2d,tse) and I added realm crafter to the list <---I have alot of projects going on right now Woot Woot!

-- Winston Churchill
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:50 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 02:24
Welcome,

Quote: "I have yet to see a demo or game that doesn't use the fpsc logo icon and they all have the same "loading" screen no matter what picture is being shown. I'd prefer to put a blurb saying "Made with FPSC" in my own artwork somewhere on my loading screen, cuz let's face it, and again no offense to anyone, but if a person sees right away that this game is "obviously" made with a game creator it's not a good thing.
Even the most modest of games have some kind of animated intro. I've eyet to see one. "

My game does not have the same loading screens. They are custom pictures.
I am not ashamed that I used an engine other than my own. (Most game developers do.)

Quote: "First and foremost, no offense to anyone(seriously)but I've yet to play a demo that doesn't include moron enemies that I simply have to take one or two steps backwards and dispatch at my leisure. That doth not excitement make. "

Stand back and leisurely wait to see what my mad bomber does to you.

~ ~
BOOM

Quote: "I'd love to be proven wrong. Show me!"

You didn't look very hard.

Quote: "no offense to anyone(seriously)"

None taken.

Quote: "Its all up to the user. The user can add what ever the hell they like, to make it a better game. So dont go blaming fpsc, because you think it cant do any thing. "

That's right Higgins,
Too often people forget that we created these games the way we wanted them to be.
That's why we make our own games instead of just buying them.

Quote: "I'm teetering on the brink of buying FPScreator.
Here's what's holding me back."

You are the only thing that is holding you back.
Buy it, build a game, customize it, share the game, and most of all, have fun!

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Doggie
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 01:55
Well, I hope I wasn't taken wrongly. I really want to buy this but that one factor, the harmless enemies, is holding me back. It's like those games by that company whose name could be a synonym for "New Reason". You kill one guy after another cuz they just stand there then all of a sudden one of them out of nowhere gets a lucky shot. Other than that I've seen some levels done already that were impressive. I play COD2 Multiplayer 24/7 so you can imagine what I mean when I say I need cut throat enemies...thanks for the replies.
Doggie
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 02:16
Conjured,
Ok. I downloaded and tried your demo. Your mad bomber is indeed better than average but the others are only marginally better than average. It looks like the problem is they only react to a cone of vision and never hit on the first shot. My thought would be to darken the cave more and place the enemies more in the path but in the shadows. That way they might react quicker. Is it possible to create flickering torch light instead of that overall ambient light? Also your cave is hard to walk through, but that isn't necessarily a drawback. I'll keep on eye on your games' progress.
Just FYI, I am not trying to be negative about FPSC. I'm a long time user of TheGameCreators products. In fact, I was among the first 25 BETA testers of Dark Basic...and I actually like the 3D Game Creator when it came out. Hey, it did what it said it would do.

Thanks

Dog
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 02:19
UGG... Go buy HL2 and make mods.

FPSC is capable of high qual, in a fashion... I may work on a better AI after the engine gets fixed... and that will only happen after

a) Riker 9 releases with my modifications
b) V2 Releases with my modifications
c) I get off my fat ass and find all the mods I made and modifiy the engine myself.

I guess it will have to be c... but my ass is soo fat that it weighs me down.

I have released an alternative AI, but due to it's excessive use of Timers, it gets dumb. If I fix the engine, it may work better.

Finally, READ THE FAQ. It is at the top of the board. Then come back.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 02:25 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 02:37
Don't forget about the wonderful License that has No Royalty Fees on the Games that you Create with it.

Don't forget the fact that TGC not only releases the Source Code for the Engine to you, but
they also allow you to modify it to suit your needs.

Open Source with no Royalties on the Games we make.
Need I say more?

Buy it now, and get the feel for it before the upgrade is released.
That's my advice.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 05:23
50,000,000 forum users...give or take a few million...can't be wrong.Buy this.Now.Come to the darkside...

Not changing this sig until I get rich
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 08:25
Quote: "Even the most modest of games have some kind of animated intro. I've eyet to see one."

Alot of people make intros, it is posibble. However, some are merely text animations becuase you have to remember that not everyone knows how to film and direct.

This is an intro i made:
1)It's only part 1 of the intro
2)The blank space at the start is where i'll put some machinima
3)The game is going to be free so i'm not putting too much effort into this intro
Here it is...
You may need divx to play it....

AE
P.S: Here's another one of my recoring posts, advice to potential buyers;
Quote: "The biggest problem with FPSC is the user. Many people give up after a hour because they can't get the exact look of the game they want, or (more likely) they don't have a certian entity so therefore the game is incomplete. Games tak time and effort and its thanks to FPSC that the time has been reduced. If you want your game to prefect with real-time light and shadows, friendly AI and a sophisticated user interface that allows you to interact with your enviroment, go learn C++, see you in 2034.

If, like the rest of us, you are OK with sacrifising some graphical quality then FPSC is the program for you."

Origin says i'm l33t

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 17:38
A lot of what happens with enemies has to do with the scipt you give them,the weapon you give them,where you place them and whether you have any ammo left.I was working on a level and got killed about 10 times because an enemy came around the corner and whacked me before I could pick up my weapon.
Obviously an enemy with a fully automatic weapon or a sniper rifle will hit you quicker than one with a pistol or shotgun.You can adjust the enemies' cone of vision,the amount of dmange a weapon does,etc.
If you look in the scripts thread you can find all sorts of neat things to use to improve the enemies' a.i. or other things.One thing I 've done a couple of times is put in a trigger zone so enemies spawn from behind something so they pop up and fire at you.
Buy FPSC and read the forums.Play around with it and have fun.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 19:28
No, actually Doggie, I think your right. Don't buy it. No really, don't buy it.

Crazy Grandpa
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 20:44 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 20:51
Have you even made a game with FPSC xplosys?

He did not say talk trash. He said show me.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 20:56
First of all try the demo to see if you like it.It's free.
If you don't want to buy it,that's fine.There are plenty of people like me who will.It's your choice.
Second of all expressing your opinion is okay but try to be nice.The people from TGC have graciously allowed us the use of their forums so we have a strong support community.
Third,and I've mentioned this before,it is sad that something like this keeps getting bumped so that more useful posts might get overlooked.
There are plenty of people like Conjured who have games and resources available that don't/won't look like anybody else's.
It's like anything else in life.You are going to get out of something what you put into it.It is relatively easy to point-and-click you way to an fps,but if you want something good and fun it will take some effort.
I think FPSC is an excellent program and if anyone can find anything better or simpler at around the same price tag then,like the topic says...show me
P.S.:As always,these are just my own personal opinions and I am not out to offend anyone...

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 21:26 Edited at: 14th Mar 2006 21:29
Quote: "...It looks like the problem is they only react to a cone of vision and never hit on the first shot. My thought would be to darken the cave more and place the enemies more in the path but in the shadows. That way they might react quicker. Is it possible to create flickering torch light instead of that overall ambient light? Also your cave is hard to walk through, but that isn't necessarily a drawback. I'll keep on eye on your games' progress."

That's the point. Its up to you what you do with it. You decide!

Quote: "Just FYI, I am not trying to be negative about FPSC. I'm a long time user of TheGameCreators products. In fact, I was among the first 25 BETA testers of Dark Basic...and I actually like the 3D Game Creator when it came out. Hey, it did what it said it would do."

Then hadn't you seen enough before you even posted this?

It's only £30
Quit being such a scrooge and start having fun with it already.

Quote: "It's like anything else in life.You are going to get out of something what you put into it.It is relatively easy to point-and-click you way to an fps,but if you want something good and fun it will take some effort.
I think FPSC is an excellent program and if anyone can find anything better or simpler at around the same price tag then,like the topic says...show me. "

Well said.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 21:32
I has, it is closer to 5000 and more then 90% of those people are uncommon posters.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 21:40
Mosillivo, don't have a cow.

Quote: "Have you even made a game with FPSC xplosys?"

Whatever happened to sarcasm?
This guy says "Show ME" and your all jumping through hoops. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I don't have to show him anything.

Crazy Grandpa
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 21:41
sorry, that was meant for Conjured Entertainment.

Crazy Grandpa
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 22:13
Never mind... good few min of quality LOL's

However, seeing that you joing in January, you do know that you can edit your posts now?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 22:19
Yes, (shamefull) thank you.

Crazy Grandpa
Doggie
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 23:18
Here's the deal guys. I like playing multiplayer games against talented opposition. (So long as I'm not just getting wallhacked/aimbotted) There's nothing more satisfying than the feeling you get after besting a worthy opponent.Sometimes I'd rather play single player and want to make my own scnene. I want to make an FPS, I could code it by hand but like you say that would take a lot longer. I tried to come off not negative but just a little provacative hoping those of you with the hottest games on brew would come through with an "oh yeah? Check this!"
Keep 'em coming.

Dog
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 02:12
I like playing MP against opponents that aren't
A: Aim hackers
B: Weapon Hackers
C: Ass's who join games where they KNOW they will own, and continue doing it because it makes them feel good to own people who can not win.

I also hate clans, Personally, people who join clans and still play the common are
A: Retarded, they want a name so they add a clan prefix to their plr name
B: Arrogant, So your in a clan, big deal. Stop talking about it.

If your in a clan, have clan wars, don't be an ass and join the common players games just to beat them, it isn't funny, it is gay. And even more gay is when you break into our base, and hold it from us. Don't TRY to win, just keep killing us. Who is better? The guys who attempt a kill, or the guy who is dancing around with a supped up mouse for aiming?

And over all, I hate Panzernoobs. This comes from Enemy Territory but I apply it to many games. Panzer Noobing is basically when you have a high powered explosive weapon, and you either
[url] A. sit back and blow up the spawn zones.
[url] B. Use your weapon to keep off everyone while having someone give you ammo. (There is only one way to get somewhere, and you are just blowing up the people who come).
[url] C. Randomly bomb an area because FF is off.

In ET, Panzernoobing is at an acceptable level, you can only fire the panzer once every 15 seconds or so. However, go to some newer games and you have these player pulling out explosive rifles and fireing full automatic. That is not skill. That is just luckly hitting a plr because you have a high splash radius.

And gernades should NEVER explode on hitting the plr, and if they do, they should have a BIGGER splash radius. I get owned by these Panzernoobing idiots who can aim a gernade launcher 10 feet away from me. And not get hurt because of the low splash radius. Give me a break, In halo you have SKILL if you can pin a gernade on someone from a fair distance. And you are an idiot if you pin it at 10 feet.

And the bad part is that Panzernoobing is actually starting to become profitable. It use to be that Explosives were either slow fireing, slow reloading, or scarce. Now we have these future games with Automatic Explosive Rifles. They have too high a fire rate, and not enough dammage to the shooter.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 08:15
Something i want for V2:

Instagibbing!!!!

AE

Origin says i'm l33t

Klick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 10:43
AE u play unreal tourney?

[A]NJL`s [N]on-[G]oody-goody [E]xtermination [L]eague [C]arrying [O]ut [M]ass [M]urdering of [A]NJL`s [N]efarious [D]evotees -Essence of ANGEL COMMAND
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 12:30
Quote: "Ass's who join games where they KNOW they will own"

Thats the reason I stopped playing soldier of fortuneII.

-- Winston Churchill
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 14:07
Doggie,

FPSC can within its capabilities which due to the open architecture of much of the content to be user definable and now together with the source means that it is possible to make a very unique and individual game limited only by the overall engine capability and that of the end users/s.

Freeware/shareware titles with approaching something of professional quality is certainly possible in some areas at least - overall a very good game of differing kinds could be made and undoubtedly some will be as time goes on.

As to the AI it can be good enough with user intervention to befit the level of quality of games that the rest of the system will allow. If you want to make a game with any indie engine then you are going to be hard pressed to find really high levels of Artificial Intelligence which will approach challenging interaction with the player - the systems just arnt available to make enemies clever enough and FPSC AI is about as good as it gets.

You could write your own with some engines but doubt you will have the ability to create a satisfactory AI, pathfinding and collision system so you dont have many choices. If you find an indie engine with bettter AI out of the box than FPSC then let us know. Sure it could be better and with both users and possibly TGC working to that aim it may end up somewhat more so.

If anyone has the skill and staying power then they have an opportunity to "show everyone else" what FPSC can do if they have what it takes.

One things for certain if someone does not own FPSC then they will never know what it can do for its not what others do with it but what "you" do that matters.

If you want to see something better than what others may do at any time - then go for it and make it yourself - no one else is going to do it for you. Unless you want to sit back in the hope of loads of free great games to play coming from the community to save you doing it yourself.

Get FPSC - contribute constructively to the forum and perhaps we will see some of those great games as a result.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 17:14
Amen, brother.

Crazy Grandpa
Doggie
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 19:41
Ok. I have no idea why I'm perceived as not being constructive.
I stated first off, "NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE". That means I'm being critical of what I've seen, not the people or the product overall.

I've seen some really nicely done levels but the enemies just sit there till you shoot them. I've seen enemies that stare at the wall while I do everything short of pulling a fire alarm to alert them of my presence. I've only seen one demo so far that had an enemy that took me out. Now, please don't misunderstand, I'm not slamming anything. I was just wondering if it's even possible to have somewhat challenging opponents coded into an FPSC game. That's all I wanted to know because it's the only thing that keeps me from buying this. Other than that, at the price and all the other points you guys have brought up this looks good.

Thanks
Dog
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 21:52
That is because the included AI sucks. It doesn't account for all conditions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 11:32:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 11:32:01