Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Need help with decals

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 23:54
okay im gonna make this short and sweet...how do i make decal backgrounds transparent? what color does it have to be?

Nunticaelitusphobia---im scuurrred of the internet
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2006 23:59
i think true black

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 00:44
yea but when i do black this happens *attached screenshot*
and im using signs 2...is there a better way to do this?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 02:32 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 02:36
Decals can be a bit fussy very occasionally with transparency.

To make a decal image with transparency.

Create your image as a 24 bit colour image first. BMP is good.

You also need to have a separate image (black and white or in the case of a continous tone image greyscale) for to use as an alpha channel which carries the areas which need to be transparent as completely and absolutely black = so in rgb its 0,0,0. The area on that alpha channel that should not be transparent should be white = rgb 255,255,255

Then in a paint program that supports alpha channel on images open the base image create an alpha channel for it - then open the black and white image you created copy it and paste it into the alpha channel of the main image. Save as .dds with alpha channel for use in FPSC. Thats it.

Some tips if you have probs.

Signs and some other images of that kind I make up in a drawing package and export the artwork as .bmp one main image and one alpha channel image - the beauty of this is its easy to create a separate image for the alpha channel - it being often just a copy of the main image artwork with a black and white fill where necessary - easy. You can then add extra effects in your paint program if you wish.

If necessary check in your paint program that the black alpha colour is indeed absolutely black and if not - refill appropriately or even just adjust the contrast so the balck areas become as black as is possible - with straight black and white you can turn the constrast right up to ensure this.

Occasionally you may find that any options your paint prog allows for choices to save .dds with alpha channel as I indicated above will not work - this is very rare but oddly FPSC sometimes takes a dislike to a particular image transparency for some reason unknown to me - if that happens try and resort to .png format which embeds the transparency info to the image so you cant usually edit it if you reopen it as it dissapears to become part of the image. For that reason I avoid the format unless absolutely necessary.

I would never reccommend using .tga and let FPSC convert to .dds myself and have said many times that I dont trust FPSC to do anything correctly - if the user can do it first - ususally better.

Personally I create all images as .dds directly and have only had to resort to any other format perhaps 3 times out of many hundreds of texture images.

Hope that helps.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 02:45
no it didnt help...im a total noob at this...if i were to post the textures i need as decals could you do it for me?

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 03:24
I don't know about Decals, but PNG is allways good for textures, and hud images.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 03:30
If you dont mind posting them here for copyright reasons I would do so - someone I guess may do it or await an indication that they would before posting.

Trying not to be unkind - I would but cant say when - you may have a long wait and thats not what you need I guess. I have much too much to get done myself.

Why on earth are you referring too this sign as a decal anyway - unless its animated you dont need and should not really use an FPSC decal type entity for signage as transparency on decals can be a little more tricky than a standard entity. All that is needed is a normal entity as default FPSC signage is made up with the texture with transparency applied. Dont forget that to get transparency to work even if its correct in the image you have to set the entities transparency indicator correctly in the entities script and also best to do so in the entities properties dialoge box setting in editor. i.e. I use a setting of : transparency =2

If you dont set this in the entities properties then its probable the black wont be transparent anyway - unless possibly you use a .png with 8 bit alpha channel which may be self transparent inside FPSC.

You really need to learn this for yourself anyway as its not difficult. You have already learned quite a bit if you have the image inside FPSC as it seems you have.

The pic in your screenshot if its a single image is fairly complex - if you dont have an alpha channel for it - try and copy it - then adjust the image brightness, contrast and intensity - try inverting the image and converting to greyscale and again adjusting contrast - you may just get a black and white version for the alpha channel that way.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 03:37
Mosillivo,

I dare say .png HUD images - maybe the best option - I would not really know as I have not really worked with HUD images at all - I still use the default ones though its time I took a look at doing something better.

Quite possibly .pgn may be ideal for many types of FPSC image I have personally just not used them heavily so cant say.

I like .dds as Ive not had any real problems with them and like the small file size though I guess there is a penalty to pay in decompressing somewhere along the line.

I am sure everyone finds there own particular favorite formats appropriately for the progs they use and that one is just as good as another if done correctly.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 04:30 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 04:46
If you are using Signs II and you want your sign/picture to have transparency then open the .FPE file using notepad. You will see a line towards the bottom like this:

;Transparency = 1

remove the semi-colon and change the 1 to 2 then save.

Signs also does not save any transparency, so you will need to load your image into a paint program and set the transparency color of the image.

Now I must say, uman is correct, building an alpha channel will yield better results because it gives you more levels of transparency.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 06:21
heres 1 of the textures i wish to be turned into decals...

Attachments

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 06:22
number 2

Attachments

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 06:23
number 3

Attachments

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 13:27
I think there is a program called Decal Maker available somewhere.

Not changing this sig until I get rich
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 17:57 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 17:57
Here is #1 with transparency turned on in the image and in the fpe file. just unzip to your sign directory.

Is this what you had in mind?

Attachments

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 20:36
got an error

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline