Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Stationary Machine Gun

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 00:43
Play any WWII FPS, and a constant (such as exploding barrels and MP40's) is stationary machine guns behind sandbags. I searched the forums for these, but couldn't find anything on how to make them. How would they be accomplished? (And don't say Riker 9 - that's become a standard "I have no earthly idea" synonym. If Cellbloc is making them, great! But if he isn't, don't give him even MORE to do.)

By the way, the player needs to be able to use them - if entities could, also (or spawn with them) that'd be great, too. This seems like something that would already be addressed here, but I have not succeeded in finding it so far.

Thanks!

Changing the connotation of "noob," one post at a time.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 00:52
not possible sorry

Nunticaelitusphobia---im scuurrred of the internet
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 01:23
i thought turrets had been accomplished

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
DoomKing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 01:32
Controversy! We need an authoritative answer. They'd be cool, but I can well believe that they are not possible. (They'd probably use the same idea as vehicles, but stationary - hence easier, maybe.)

Changing the connotation of "noob," one post at a time.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 01:40
Not plr usable... sure can rig an ugly thing up... but not a good thing.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 01:42
but you can cheat vehicles by changing huds up and weapons. so Why not the same thing with a stationary machine gun just have it set up on a use function and have it rotate 180 on the y axis. could work ya know.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 01:45
Because bullets don't hurt enemys, and you would need to add code that will slow the game down or may not work for it to work

activatetarget=1 stuff

and then you need to make some kind of health system for the enemys...

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 02:20
why would you have to do that? since all you need to do is set a few triggers that would drop a weapon on the same spot you want the hud change. it would take a new gun model attached to sand bags or something of that nature. Since the weapon will be player weapon the bullets will do damage. you will have to right a script that states a particular hud to be called on (new weapon) and then have another script limit the plane of rotation. the only thing you would really have to do is figure out how to limit the axis of rotation for the hud while the player is using it.

-- Winston Churchill
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 03:02 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 03:03
I can see some possibilities for a turrent the player could use - though I have not tried so I cant say personally how effective anything might be - some trickery may achieve some of the needed effects.

You may be able to use as a player weapon - but of course that uses up one slot - if melee is ever added (or "invented" by a user) that could take some more - so perhaps more slots are needed if thats at all possible.

A turret type weapon should be able to be designed and animated appropriately so that it appears as a turret when the player effectively picks it up but there you can see some potential problems. Firtsly it really needs to be in a fixed position as suggested and again once picked up it may be rather odd depending upon the weapons design if the player could the carry it around. Normally a turret type weapon is not carried around in the players inventory - so if its a fixed position weapon how will you drop it or how will it stay where it is when the player moves away from it - you cant? once hit (collected) every time you hit the associated key it would jump into action.

A turret weapon you can carry would be the description of what you would have - not quite the normal description of a turret I would have thought - more of a heavy gun if thats whats needed - but then its a gun not a turret in my book.

I guess there are numerous other difficulties that may crop up but thats already enough to consider.

Just a few comments I have not really thought it through so perhaps I am on the wrong track.

There is only one way I can think of to drop it back where it was and that would require some reasonable trickery including triggers, spawn and destroying of the entity - though I cannot at this moment imagine how one could disguise the events from the player view and it still would have to take up a valuable weapon slot. This could be done possibly by a similar method that I use to drop a Jetpack which frees it from the players inventory and does not thereafter affect the use key. Think about it.

A turret that shoots at the player I guess could be made up just like any other enemy. Stationery if you like and looking like whatever you want it to look

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 03:06
If you use a PLR weapon, then you will need to change to it. AND you can't drop that weapon once it is picked up. Nore can you regulate it's ammo.

The best way would be to use a rocket launcher with a splash radius of 5 or 10. Of course I am not certain how to do that. Or if that bug exists with V1, know it did with EA.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 04:35 Edited at: 15th Mar 2006 04:38
Why cant you drop a weapon? Well I undersatnd why - you cannot in theory - just dont know the reason eactly - what I mean is are you saying that a weapon is different as an entity object from the jetpack object or any other being picked up as its effectively tied permanently to the player internally in the engine?

Just wondering - what I meant I guess is that I understand that one could not remove it if you like from the players association with it, but are you saying that it could not be reomved temporarily from the players grasp if you like by destroying it? and that while the player has it in his hands it cannot be destroyed?

Perhaps put away then? Rather difficult I suppose without more control for key commands in a script

Perhaps thats the case I had not really gone into it. Just thinking aloud. It is possible to do this with the jetpack tied to the player and remove it from player influence but then you know that - but then its not a weapon of course.

Weapons I appreciate are a special case entity and it is not easy to do non default things with them. In any case as I said I dont see how you could set it up from other points of view anyway. Some half baked trickery may be the best that could be achieved at best perhaps.

If I ever get around to it I will have a look what can be done with turrets and hopefully someone else will already have discovered the possibilities or the impossibility of them or perhaps if we are very lucky TGC may provide them before then and save me some effort.

I presume turrets are already in the feature request list?

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 22:10
Uman, it doesn't matter about the weapons script because it appears that the ENTITY gun is not releated to the DISPLAYED gun. Infact the plrtake command is pathetic. Uses more memory then you should. For that reason all my health devices just selfdestruct after the healing (if needed).

Turrets, however, are easy.

:plrusingaction=1:useweapon
:ifweapon=0:reloadweapon

and you need something with splash dammage to kill entitys, bullets don't do it.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 23:14
Sounds complicated - I dont need turrets at the mo anyway.

I have enough to do even finishing one level - so much detail yet to add, then I have a couple of others to advance further.

After that I have an pretty open parkland type level and another one or two levels as part of a city to do so enough for the rest of the year I would think.

Maybe I will slip a turret experiment in somewhere though as I just like testing FPSC stuff out.

Thanks for the code snippet.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2006 23:47
thanks mosillivo for the code

-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 00:15
it won't work... all that will do is allow you to fire the entity... adding in

::rotatetoplr,rotatey=180
will allow you to kinda aim, but it will have to be rockets that it fires.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 00:17
ok, haven't had time to tinker with it. been to busy building a level 3dws for another engine (and some single texture stuff for this one)

-- Winston Churchill
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 01:37 Edited at: 16th Mar 2006 01:58
Stationary guns suck.
They make you a sitting duck.
Stand there if you want, I'd rather grab a rocket launcher and run.

The Problem is that you are thinking 180 degrees and all that crap. (they should be aiming at the enemy anyway)
Make it a turret on top of a bunker or whatever then it rotates 360 degrees like your mouse does anyway.
Just make the player stationary and give them a big gun when they hit the enter key.
The ammo determines when they can move again. (as soon as the ammo runs out)
Now they can't use the weapon again on the run because there is no ammo.
Get to another sandbag bunker and bam...more ammo....do it again.

Edit
Trying to waste time limiting it to 180 instead of using the 360 that is available.
These Earthlings are a strange breed indeed.

Happy birthday Lee!
Cheers

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2006 07:41
But how to make the player stationary?
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 00:13 Edited at: 17th Mar 2006 00:16
Floor Logic maybe.
plrmoveto=x

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 00:20
Conjured... what the hell are you talking about? 180 degrees?

That just allows the plr to move in a circle around the gun and it will face outward.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 00:26 Edited at: 17th Mar 2006 01:22
I know that already.
That was the point I was making.
They are the ones talking about 180 degrees.

Okay,
If you guys don't understand what I am saying, (or just not reading it) then wait.
You will see a stationary gun that operates with the Enter Key in my SciFi.

Quote: "If you use a PLR weapon, then you will need to change to it. AND you can't drop that weapon once it is picked up. Nore can you regulate it's ammo."

That is where the real problem lies just like you said.
Except, we can regulate the ammo in the sense of adding to it.
Giving them a stock gun with ammo could be a base to build on.

Another thought is to have an activated state call a hud and increase your regular guns sound and damage.
This would simply be done be calling the runfpidefault=2 when the entities take any shot damage in that state.
Just like a creating a one shot landmine. (explosions and sounds etc)
Again holding the player there in one spot and displaying the hud until they hit enter again.
Then they return to the regular state , player can move, the hud disappears, and the enemies are tough again.
All the enemies do not need to be named the same either.
For instance,
One trigger can activate many blood-splats that are named the same.
Then, the blood-splats can each activate individual entities.
IE ...five bloodsplats could activate 5 entities in seperate ways all with one action that activated the splats.
Therefore, the Gun could have different effects on different characters. (armored or not)

The SciFi just got stepped up a notch.
Just when I thought putting my Users' Statements on The Moon would be a big deal.
I still think stationary guns suck.

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 11:10
This is something a lot of people have been trying to do for a long time,DK. Maybe if there's a version 2 release it'll be there. until then, you've just got to keep your eyes peeled and hope among hope.

You don't have to be insane to answer my questions, but it helps
NIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 11:29
I've accomplished a turret that you can only use one time. But in my case this suits me.

-NIK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 11:24:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 11:24:31