Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Render Beta [FMTau Labs]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 21:15 Edited at: 17th Mar 2003 21:22
over the next few week i'll be posting shots from my render engine...
it is the render engine i've been working like hell over the past few months, it is still VERY rough - and the colour bitspace is really driving me insane because i want trueSpace's clarity on it, but i think the routine i'm using isn't cracked up to the task.

the thing above is suppose to be glass, but my light reflect and refracting doesn't like working at certain angles

there will be more to come, but that took 5minutes on my GeForce2 ... and Maya rendered the same scene with better quality in under 30seconds

so i think i need to optimise speed... ALOT

[edit ->]
just a side note, right now it'll only render @ 640x480x24 and export to Bitmap - yeah sorry but no Alpha channel right now.

i know its a bitch but its how i've coded it ... later on the image encodeing will export to any format you want, but as the emphisis is on getting a working render engine working that is what will happen.
someone else will be working on the export options anyways

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
drdespair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 23:20
nice is it writen in DarkBasic?

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 23:35
looks cool

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 09:54
that particular version yes is DarkBasic Pro 3.1 written
my ftp seems to be down so i won't show a new screenshot yet - i'll see what happens, but i don't really wanna be on much today.

but i've fixxed the colour space problem and now it looks as sharp as trueSpace + it now has full Anti-Alias support upto 8x (-3 x -3 -> +3 x +3)

and i've fixxed the Raytracer slightly as it now reflects properly - but the glass still looks weird, my Refraction routines are just fudged and i'll rewrite them 100% before i convert over to C++ today.

looks like i should have a working version within the day for the wanted platform thou

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 10:43
Arghhhh, can't see it . Not even when I paste the link into my address bar.

Seems to be downloading that pic forever for some reason, is there a bandwidth limit?

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2003 14:45 Edited at: 18th Mar 2003 14:46
no... the server just decides to reset itself every like 72hrs - gets quite annoying sometimes, but get what you pay for really.

the raytracing in action - and the colour fixx
still got alot to go with the Global Illumination, i mean you can see it kinda in action here - but i'll have to make a new scene to really show it off ... i've gotta write a few more plugins though, specifically a new material broswer as the one i have is still to basic to setup anything decent.

and i must find more shading methods than Facet and Phong - i wouldn't mind finding Blinn, Lambert and Antistropic, but can't find examples

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 03:04
O very cool Raven I really need something to render my models in, as I only have milkshape

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 11:46
lol ... right now there are 3 guys working on Rendering Engine for Milkshape

myself, Mete (who's buying an engine) & Cam who'd doing a simple Raytrace engine.
the major difference between each of the engines is Mete will not understand howto improve the engine properly to improve it for sometime, Cam isn't doing anything too remarkable.

FMTau Labs is being recoded in C++ right now, i'm quite anxious to see how much speed increase i can get from it within C++ and the DirectX9 Math library because Mete has said it is far and away improved...
once i have it full working within Milkshape there are 3 artists (very skilled artists at that) who will be testing it out with me
One of which some may know as he's just putting finishing touches to Lord of the Rings :: Return of the King

so i'm quite excited because i'll beable to truely hype this thing ALOT - and it pretty cool he'd heard of me and wanted to help me out
The Global Illumination is now working far better ... i mean i increased the accuracing by using 64bit Floats, i've slowed the speed down by about 20seconds per minute, but as i had already increased the speed.

have to make a new scene within gameSpace to test the new GI, because alot of it has to do with the fact i've added material properties into this better - before it was just spectacular for raytracing reflection index and opacity for well opacity, but the more opaque the more it would refract.
i've decided to codename the render engine 'Erin Render System' may change later, but i like the idea of it being called Erin

i think i'll show a few screenshots of gameSpace in action as well because the UIS is certainly a sweet little tool (^_^)

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 12:29
Showing real potential there raven. I'm curious how much wrestling you had to do to set up that scene, I realize it's early stages yet but the problem with some radiosity render systems I've found is they take so long to get it looking right though once you do it's very cool (but not worth 6 hours cool) The parameters in the ui need to be extremely tweakable of course but they should start somewhere that makes a reasonably nice image even if you just go into it and hit 'render' without doing much, something to consider anyhow

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 15:02
well the setup for that is quite simple...
2 Materials
First has a little more spectacular (15%)
second is standard
1 Light
Shadows turned on
Atmospheric Shadow turned on

skylight is turned on with causality
Anti-Aliasing at 4x

GI turned on and defualt setting
No Field of Depth
Raytrace set to Advanced (default setting for it)

basically everything is at defualt levels ... i'm working on a room right now to show off the new GI and more importantly the all important Textured Material test

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:57
Ok sounds good, can you post a pic of the user interface?

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 01:07
i'll post in the morning - i'm truely knacked, just wanna goto bed
:: sighs :: been one of those days when i just wish i had a mate nearby ... ho hum atleast i'm going back to the states Saturday - get to see my kitty again and Alex

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:47:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:47:07