Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Abanden ware music

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 13:11
If a game like MDK is adanden ware then can I use its music

the world is complicated only people are simple
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
adanden?? do you mean abandon??
and no, you could not use its music, its copyrighted....

kallikúkurerekkicool
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 14:19
No.

The copyrights still exist with Abandonware, it's just that the publishers no longer see a profit in selling the software and it'd be better used like a free demo, ultimately to get people into that particular publishers games.

It works too, I have no problem paying good money for Blizzard software, because I already got Warcraft I and II for free as abandon ware, there's a certain amount of kudos these guys can expect for giving games away for free, and it does make a difference, especially when a sequel is on it's way.

The same can be said for how tightly a publisher handles minor legal infringements - if a publisher doesn't baulk too much when someone releases a mod or fan-game then they get respect. Would Half Life still be selling copies after all this time if there weren't so many add-ons for it? That sort of positive user attitude is only earned through generosity.

Personally, I'd like to see advert-funded games, instead of publishers charging £40 for a game they make it a free download, and load it up with in-game adverts and product placement. Like imagine the next GTA has an iPod in it, to handle the in-game music, you go to options and get a virual iPod with your tunes on it. As far as the player is concearned, it won't affect their gameplay, they might even like the continuity of explaining where the music comes from (apart from the car that is). The important factor is that with enough sponsorship, the price of games could come right down without detracting too much from the actual game design - it'd be a daft idea to put your product in a below par game, the biggest sponsors would want the biggest games.

And if you calculate how much actual money get's back to the people making the games, I reckon sponsorship could be a more commercially fair option for them as well. Most games don't make a profit anyway, so why go to the expense of releasing them in stores when you can throw it on a website.

It cut piracy down to nothing too, there would be nothing to pirate!.

Anyhoo, sorry to digress from the point, I think I need coffee now.

Van-B

Put away, those fiery biscuits!
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 14:32
hay give me a break I lost my spell checker

the world is complicated only people are simple
Opus Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 15:24 Edited at: 18th Mar 2006 11:14
@ small fish - Just to echo what has already been said, you can't use MDK's soundtrack in your game (legally). The thing with abandonware is that it is not a legal term as such and simply refers to games that are no longer commercially available and/or no longer being suported by their Developer/Publisher.

Technically the distribution of so called abandonware is in fact illegal, thankfully though (as suggested by Van B) the powers that be realise that this can in fact be good thing and helps to promote their company and forthcoming games.

If you really want to use it then you could always try contacting them via their website (http://www.shiny.com). I'd keep it brief though, just a simple request, as (like most developers) they won't want to hear about the game unless they specifically ask you about it - avoids nasty lawsuits later down the line when someone claims that their (Shiny's) latest masterpiece was an idea they (you) sent in.

Let me know how you get on as it would be interesting to see how protective Developers can/will be over their IP. (As a sidenote, I know of someone who was given permission to recode an 8-bit eighties classic game for the Neo-Geo Pocket, non-commercial of course, but it shows that if you ask you sometimes receive )

@ Van B - I've read a lot about the potential of adverts/product placement in games and I don't know if it would be all that beneficial. Lower prices would be good (and very likely) it's just that I don't see it being appropriate to all games.

For example, Animal Crossing, a very popular and critically acclaimed game but I doubt would fit in with conventional contempory advertising. The result of this may in fact lead to a even more streamlined pool of game types than we already have currently. In the UK the remit of the BBC is to provide programming that would not be otherwise available on commercial stations as advertisers want programs to suit their products and target the largest possible audience. There's something to be said for niche markets.

My biggest concern though would be, whilst I can see the positives of such a move, and how it might work if kept in balance - when money becomes involved balance goes out the window and the advertisers themselves will start to impose their own wishes on what the game should be like. Marketing teams already have this power to a lesser effect.

Just my opinion though, and to be honest, the prospect of ever more adverts in games is inevitable. Coffee sounds good...

Cheers, Rich.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 17:04
I think what most people look for when looking for a new game, is something original, something thay have not done/seen/heard before. Even though the music from MDK may be great, I'm not sure it would be wise to reuse it if you're creating a new game.

Just my thoughts.

Crazy Grandpa
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 17:10 Edited at: 17th Mar 2006 17:20
VanB: I'm looking into advertising in my upcoming project. It isn't as elabourate as using in game media as the game styles can vary so massively.
However while the user is connecting to a net game an advert will show. If they choose to click on it, the link will obviously not load then as the interuption that could cause to gameplay however the site will be recorded and after the match the advert will be re-shown to the user with an option to follow the link.
I'm hoping it will bring in a little money to support a future release (which would be advert free) as the first version is totaly free.

M.I.A is pending
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
@Van B,
DONT start me! I have gone since monday without it-w00t! go me!!!

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2006 23:32
Video games with pop-ups...Seriously it would be sort of realistic if there was some product placement in games as long as they don't get carried away.Like say,the Nationwise Burger King Autozone Halo 3 Deathmatch Halftime Report or something like that.
You do see billboards,restaraunts,stores,etc. in real life.And how cool would it be to make your own in-game commercials...think of it.
If your stomach is upset after all the killing you've done today...try alka-seltzer.
That might be cool.Maybe someone ought to come up with an FPSC product placement program...maybe a good way to promote your web site.

Not changing this sig until I get rich
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Van since you know everything were can i get comercial/non-comercial music ?

Silent Hill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 04:10
MDK... is... abandonWARE?

Abandonware? Are you kidding? It is still a hit game in my eyes... way too easy though.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 11:00
Search the web for royalty-free music.

Not changing this sig until I get rich
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thank i has return

Silent Hill
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2006 23:53 Edited at: 19th Mar 2006 00:23
Quote: "Personally, I'd like to see advert-funded games, instead of publishers charging £40 for a game they make it a free download, and load it up with in-game adverts and product placement....

... And if you calculate how much actual money get's back to the people making the games, I reckon sponsorship could be a more commercially fair option for them as well. Most games don't make a profit anyway, so why go to the expense of releasing them in stores when you can throw it on a website.

It cut piracy down to nothing too, there would be nothing to pirate!.
"

I had the same idea too, and want advertisers for my loading screens.
That's the plan for my third release after I have some working samples.
But, you let the cat out of the bag now, so everyone will be doing it.

Sound logic, just like...
If you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have them.

I find it easy to agree with your logic VanB.
Although, keeping the best ideas hush-hush is more diabolical.

You force me to act like the Digital Cable and Satellite companies did to us with our Analog Television.
Even though it was free because of the commercials, we're going to charge you and still charge the advertisers too!

I'm just kidding about the last part, but the big boys aren't.
There are pay to play games that already have advertisers in them.
Every brand name in games gets exposure and only the developers know if they paid for it or not.

PostScript
On a personal note:
I think that the term "Abandon Ware" is misleading if the publisher is offering it as a promotion.
As you pointed out, it promotes their company and brings traffic to their site of current projects.
It can not be abandoned if it is still in use by the company, even in a no-cost fashion.
It's too bad the public adopted such a term.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
no luck with the music is there another one?

Silent Hill

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 11:31:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 11:31:17