Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / To all DBPro / FPSC users....... can you help us?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 15:08
I'm looking for a DBPro user who can help me and in the end all of us.

As everyone knows, FPSC is missing save/load options and it is stopping all of us from releasing huge games. It's annoying to have played a game for hours and not being able to save it.

I'm not asking anyone to create a save/load system, since I do understand it's hard to do, but I do want to ask for something else. The reason asking is, that I do not own DBPro and do lack the time to learn it, unfortunally......

Can someone perhaps create one of the three following FPSC additions?

1. This one should be the easiest to accomplish. When the player plays the game and shuts it down, the last level he played will be marked in an ini file for example. Next the player starts the game, he's given the option to continue at previously played game or to start a new game.

2. Same as the previous one, but with the additions that at the beginning of the game the player types in a name and his progress is recorded. This way more then one player can play the game.

3. Old style password system. At the end of a level the player is given a password. When he quits the game and plays it the next time, he has the option to type in a password to go to the corresponding level.

If someone could create one of these additions, I'm sure many of us would be thankfull. Whoever does so, can have my FPSC Landscape Pack 1, the MegaMusic and the game I'm working on for free, besides my eternal thanks.

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://megagaming.taken.to
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!
Skitza
Years of Service
User Offline
You should post this in the DB Pro forum.

[href]www.realityforgotten.com[/href]
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 18:07
Thanks for the suggestion, did post it there also.

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Benjamin a...i have this script that might possibley work its in the "no save/loading...but have you thought of this". fourm few of the people say its valid hope this helps!

Sincerly. Liz

Silent Hill
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 19:21
I've seen the script, it's for gamemaker. You would need to implement it in the source code somehow I think. That I cannot do at all, since I don't own DBPro.

You cannot just add this script to your other FPSC scripts, because FPSC would not recognize the commands at all, so you need to go to the source.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 15:56
Benjamin:

The way I've planned to do my games is to go mission based. The main application works like a game launcher, with each mission a packed exe with FPSPack. The missions and story are linked via the launcher. Select a mission, read the brief and launch. Removing the menus will just bring up the fpsc loading screen. Once mission is done, it quits and pops back to the launcher. This is somewhat like how the games in the DeltaForce series are done.

This is cool as you can use any kind of application to create the launcher. DB,VB,Flash, browser? Anything that make a gui and run an exe. In fact, this way you can put your cutscenes outside of fpsc and have one for each level.

To give and deny access to the missions, there are a couple of ways. FPSPack can use a serial/password. I asked on the FPSPack forum if it can be done via command line so that the launcher gives the password without user input. eg run mission1.exe -mypassword. This way the user can't just run the missions from explorer. Rastaman said he'll look into it for the next release.

What has this got to do with what you're asking? Well it pretty much needs the same kind of data to work nice. I looked at the source code and I am not a programmer or coder so it was pretty futile. So, I figure, it would could be implemented in FPSPack. Both the input and the writing to an ini file.

Anyway, haven't asked Rastaman about it though. You might want to post the question in the FPSPack forum.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 16:08
That would be workable for sure and I've considered it also, writing such a loader isn't a problem for me. but...... there's one major disadvantage to this. If you do build your games per level, it's going to be one huge game for sure.

Each level would be 100-150Mb and do that with 10 or more levels, who's going to download your game? Each level will need it's own data (segments, entities and so on).

If you build all levels in one game, you don't have this problem, since each level would re-use the data.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 16:27 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 16:29
Thats true. I havent tried it in a full test yet, but a couple of things. Since it is single mission based, levels ought to be designed smaller, but I havent done any tests for an estimation on gameplay-filesize ratio. Would probably still be big.
So far for small levels (test levels like the fpsc samples) I get close to 50% compression with FPSPack, which helps.

And yes, redundant data is no fun.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 16:47
I'm curious to see the results of your tests. But a save\load system for FPSC would be much more easier.

Joh, Just off-topic, I've sent you an email (through murkymedia) on a different matter

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:21
the source is messy.

i'm working on something, but no promises

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:31 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 18:33
Ok since the script for save.load is already there you just need to point the FPSC engine to the right information. like how it asigns the memory to each saved file and where it stores it, also editing the menu would be difficult since you would probably want an in game menu or object based save/load function and you will need to add a load feature. This might be a bit difficult since pointing it to a memory block for the stored info might be tough. You will want to have it save the file to the game folder or a temp folder on the hard drive or hell even create a folder on game install that will have the stored info in it. also you will have to figure out how to point all features of save/load to this one file. Uhm that doesn't sound to hard does it? <-----I think my eyes just went cross!

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:45
You guys make to complicated again. I'm not asking for a full save/load system, just a way to skip levels.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:48
do you want an external app? or an app built-in to the source?

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 19:00 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 19:03
Let me share a small scenario with all of you to explain what I want/need.

When the game starts, level one will be a building with a number of rooms in it (corresponding to the number of levels in the game).Each room has a sign in front of it, named mission1, mission2, mission3 and so on In each room there are a number of numbered switches, from 1-9 for example. The player switches on a number of switches in a certain order (according to a code) and another door is opened. Once that door is opened, the player will enter a triggerzone that takes him to a certain level. When finishing a level, the player will get another code for the next level.

I've written a script for rooms with numbered switches simulating a code already and it works fine.

But I can't figure out how to get to different level. The engine always playes level in sequence, but I want to jump to a different level desired.

The only thing I need is an engine change so that I can attach a script to a triggerzone specifying the level desired.

This is much easier to achieve imo then writting a save/load sequence. So, perhaps someone can help?

To answer BULLSHOCK 2 question, I guess this would need to be done internally, so I can call the desired level through a script attached to a triggerzone.

This way you could have non-linear levels also.

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 19:29 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 19:30
Benjamin:
It will be awhile before I get down to doing some proper dev tests.

I get what you mean. I suppose what you need is a specific load level trigger/zone. Somewhat like what they had for Quake2 and HalfLife. I think its still the same for the current engines. Basically the trigger calls the load map command. Very cool for all kinds of situations.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 19:32
Yep, that's it and I think it's much easier to accomplish then save/load.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 22:07
i'll look into it.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 22:29
That would be great!

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 22:32
As I just told Bullshock 2, you can do a quick hot save of the player position in about 30 sec. Then you can build a small GUI to select the one of the last 10 saves in about 1 hour.

So basically in 2 hours you can have a working Save Game feature.

-This...is my boomstick!
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 22:42 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 22:44
I'm really looking forward to it now! just make sure I know who did create it, so I can present him/her my small tokens of appreciation

If possible, I'd really prefer my last proposal (see post #14), but you idea sounds good too.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 23:02 Edited at: 27th Mar 2006 23:15
I read your #14 and yeah, that quite easy. If fact, the current test application does it for you. Can you figure it out?

I will give you till tomorrow to figure it out yourself, then I will show you. The #1 hint I can give you is check out the "SciFi" test level....

[EDIT]
Screw it, I will just tell you.
Have multiple Win Zones.

-This...is my boomstick!
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 23:21
Quote: "I will give you till tomorrow to figure it out"

Ahh, Cellbloc, thats no fun! Now I have to wait. Oh well, won't hurt for me to practice some patience

http://tinypic.com/egv4u8.gif
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 23:38
Cellbloc Studios, I've checked out the scifi games included with FPSC, but none of them has multiple winzones......

Perhaps this was EA only or am I missing something?

I've put 2 winzones in my game, but you need to enter both of them to even get to a different level. The winzone are just objectives, if you accomlished the objectives you go to the next level.

How would I use Winzones to goto different levels from just one level?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 00:12
I looked at the scifi too and can't figure it out so don't feel bad.

FLA
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 05:54
Open File as #1: Write #1, Data: Close #1
Open File as #1: Load #1, Data: Close #1
No, this isn't completly right, but it is the basic save load.
DUHH... even selecting a level is easy, levels are denoted by the variable LEVEL!!!

Stop saying stuff is hard if you have never programmed a crap peice of software in your life... right now, I am just annoyed. As a programmer, I am getting very insulted. No I don't finish games, I hate programming the GUI side, and spend much more time programming stuff like 2D Physics (Currently, I am stalling on fixing my collisions engine, and want to put everything in subclass' [java])

What is hard? The Debug, and the GUI Menu System. Of course, Bullshox is a GUI genius, so there isn't a big issue there. Heck, I have faith in Bullshox, just as he has faith in my abilitys. Sure, when I am rusty (which is alot, need to start programming, not talking) I make more idiots mistakes, Even today, I made the mistake of doubting my inner mind. Turns out, I was right.

Ben A, really... please don't make these types of posts. Yesterday, I was ready to kill you 50 times over because of this. Listen to me, I am a programmer, I have accomplished many things which I consiter signifigant. My math skills exceed my own standards. I seriously have what it takes to do the background programming. Even then, my proactive imagination allows me to think about something and quickly come up with an answer...

I suprise myself alot with that... *litterally goes off into a daze* but, either way, I think you might understand what I am saying now.

I can add a level= script if you want, so that you can winzone and change your level to any random level you want. Of course, the script will have to run before you winzone... and then I will have to make sure that level doesn't get over ridden some where along the way. Which is another concern with a save game, Lee LOVES redundant variables, he saves vars and reloads them back in, or makes a var that is only used once. Heck, he has a tokay var that is COMPLETLY redundant, just say aicond=1 lee.

So, before making a slod, I need to confirm some thing, and in order to really confirm them... I need to have some source looked at... exclude the mp removal if it is bug heaven... but no work can get done if the current version isn't checked and fixed.

Pulls Out Shotgun... shoots self for talking too much.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 14:38 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 14:41
Mosilivo, I've just got one suggestion..... just show us your marvelous programming skills. Honestly, you brag so much about them all the time, but I have yet to see them at work, so surprise me. Don't take this as an offense, but as a challenge. Put your money where your mouth is

CellBloc, could you please shed some light on your statements, you've got me very curious, but at the moment I just can't figure out how the more then one winzone would fuction and what scripting commands I would use to call for different levels.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 11:29:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 11:29:57