Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Lightwave, 3D canvas, Milkshape

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:19
I have an older version of Lightwave, v5 someone gave me quite a few years ago. I know I can scam a newer version from Kazza or one of those sites but have tried some software that way before and it seems to have problems (missing files ETC...) Plus I don't want to steal someone elses, I want to get into this and don't want my stuff stolen and also I don't want to sell models, logos ETC... made with piriated software.

So here is the question can someone give me a comparision between the three programs. I don't really have the cash to buy LW, I baught 3D Canvas, and have heard good things about Milkshape. I guess since I have used lightwave so much which one is closest to LW. I have used 3D canvas a little but am not sure I like it.

Thanks
Scott Wolfe
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:49
Download Metasequoia from:
http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~mizno/main_e.html

Its the easiest modeler, and its free!

Then use Milkshape to animate them
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 21:04
you can't really compare Lightwave with Milkshape or 3DCanvas (isn't it named Amapi now?)

you could compare Lightwave with trueSpace, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Softimage, etc...

depending on what you want to accomplish depends on what you will want to buy, also which package your prefer would be a good bet.
Personally i'd recommend Milkshape - however i'm extremely bias for some obvious reasons

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
stormtrooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 21:27
Personally I prefer lightwave but it out of my funds range now. I have never used studiomax or any of those others. I would like to do logos and animations for video and also modeling for myself and for profit and I think studio max lightwave and the others you mention are really good for that not the lower end products.

I have very little experience with milkshape but am assuming it is probably the best of the lower end products. I will probably buy it in the future and play around with it. I will probably keep using lightwave as my parents run a video business and we use it alot to title and set up logo animations and I'm very used to it. I just wish they would cut loose and get the newest version or try 3D studio max.

I'm using v5 of LW and V7.8 is out now and it has many more tools and features

Scott Wolfe
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 00:18
-isn't it named Amapi now?)

?? What?

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 01:17
i'm sure they changed the name to Amapi ... or atleast thats the product they keep trying to get me to endorse - Amapi7, they won't even send me stupid test version (cheapskates lol)

if you want to try out the other products (just for learning purposes mind you)

Maya 4.5 PLE is free (130Mb & for WinXP/WinNT/Linux ONLY)
Softimage XSI EXP is free (230Mb i think)
Gmax 1.2 is the free version of 3D Studio Max 4 (20Mb main - 15Mb Help - 15Mb Tutorials - 3Mb Extras)
trueSpace 6.5 time based, limited saving demo of trueSpace 6.x (and iSpace is a good internet proggie too)

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
stormtrooper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 08:30
If you are talking about 3D canvas changing there name I'm sure it is still 3D canvas there website is www.amabilis.com

Scott Wolfe
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 18:37
There are a couple of magazines out at the minute with full versions of truespace 3 and amapi 5.something

Are any of these two programs worth the while getting and more importantly, are they good for exporting to DBPro?

Gronda, Gronda
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 18:49 Edited at: 20th Mar 2003 18:49
Yeah My PLE Maya expired so I need to re-register,I think I'll just re-download.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 20:06
well i learn ALOT about CGR artwork in trueSpace2 which is almost identical to trueSpace3 ... it is certainly a very good program - however not really the best for game modelling, has always been more of a CGR tool.
amapi i've never used - looks interesting but can't be bothered to use it really.

didn't know Maya PLE had a registration thing but its definatly a very useful tool if you get used to the interface

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 20:32 Edited at: 20th Mar 2003 20:34
-its definatly a very useful tool if you get used to the interface

Yeah it is.

Truespace 3.2 is free for download at Cnet...I didn't know how improved it was before I actually installed it...OpenGL realtime renderer,you got me there also the help,while the previous versions were very comprehensible,are much more complete....Overall a must!

BTW: Have you ever make something good quickly with metaballs? lol

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 21:15
define good

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2003 01:56
amapi is a complete program as well as a plugin for max since its poly/nurbs modelling features are really good.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:16:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:16:09