Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3d and rendering proggies

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 20:36
Hello again guys

Im soon to be in school learning Maya and I have a simple question.

I keep hearing about 3d rendering programs which I assume are different that 3d modeling programs. What exactly do they do? More specific than (they render 3d models)

Thank you much!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 21:00
usually they come built into the 3D Modeling program you use... however sometimes (as is the case with Max) that they are just so pants that it makes you wanna cry that it can't show realistically the work you've just spent several days on - simply becuase say it doesn't support Global illumination or something

this is where the Rendering Plugin/Programs come in... they add desperatly needed features to the program you use and scene your export - suchas HDRi so that Reflections appear more realistic (even when there is nothing to reflect) or Luma so that your shadows arn't either shaded or not, but they are affected by all light within the scene and the materials it can bounce off.

for example, if you have a mirror on a wall - with standard Max Renderer it will simply brighten but the room your in will stay shadowed... but with something like RayMax the light will reflect as a spot on the wall and everything will be slightly lite up as a result

later tonite, perhaps tommorrow i'll be updating my Render thread, and you'll see more clearly what i mean (^_^)

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 21:01
Awesome. Ill be doing all my work in Maya. Any thoughts on that?

------------
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 21:10
maya has one of the better built in Render Engines ...
it still pales in comparison to Lightwave or trueSpace's (but then they do have a good 5years more experience than the Alias|Wavefront team)

it does render quite admirably something which draws alot of companies to it and that is Fur ... probably one of the best programs for doing anything with Hair, Fur or anything of that nature
especially animating it.

Maya as a product on its own is quite an impressive tool, as you'll find the polygon tools extremely useful to simply outline, cutup and extrude to create some models pretty well and quickly - and has some very good tools for editing generally - you'll certainly have fun with it, if you can put up with its quirks... like the annoying camera movement hehee (^_^)

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2003 21:12
Any recommended plugins for Maya, aside from Fur?

------------
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 01:05
Fur is builtin
i'd recommend Renderman (if you can afford it)
anything other than that really just hang around the Maya forums, and ask on a tool by tool basis ... i've noticed unlike Lightwave, trueSpace or Max, plugins for Maya are more upto personal preferances - probably because its a far more open package on how you actually model, it means that a plugin which is useful and good to someone is poor to someone else.

but Tucows UV Mapper is a good one, extends Maya's UV Editor - which is already pretty good, but makes it more interesting to use.
Deep(Exploration and Deep(Paint are other plugins for it i'd grab up given the cash flow... which is probably another reason not alot of plugins can be recommended as most you have to pay for cept the ones shown on the Alias|Wavefront site

Critter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 03:31
Hehe, I just reread your first post about Fur... I feel dumb

Thanks tho, once I get further into Maya Ill hop around their forums so Im not a complete moron there... makes me wonder why I started posting here

------------
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2003 11:54
well don't worry as part of revamping my site ... currently i'm working on a small selection of tutorials (which i keep getting threatening emails from people to do) but more importantly each are to be written for each of the major programs i use
Maya 4.5 - 3D Studio Max 4 - Softimage XSI 3.0 - trueSpace 6.5 - Lightwave 7.5

basically what'll happen is each tutorial will be written first in Max, but then i'll add a section for Maya users - then Softimage users - etc...
and no matter the 3D program you use, you'll be able to take a look at the tutorials and hopefully learn something new about the program you're using.
Being seasoned or not in a program tends to not matter as there is always a new technique that a certain modeler uses which is just thier 'style' and oftenly others would never have thought of this is probably a major reason i spend talking alot with other modelers and skinners - we all swap tips and such as a result the base of our 3D knowlage grows and gives us just that extra option or two when we wanna create new things.

so something to look forward to

monkee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2003 23:41
Make sure you get the bonus game plugins for maya (which are on the aliaswavefront.com site) they add some handy functionality.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:55:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:55:17