Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Is it worth it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I'm kinda new to this FPS creator program, having only downloaded the demo,which I found to be interesting. So i have a couple questions for everyone here. Recently I've been reading through these forums to figure out any downsides to this program, and so far I have found more than I would have liked. I read about problems with serious slowdown and the fact that you cannot save. But my question is, Is it worth paying for? Is it worth the wait for patches, and maybe Riker 9(I think this is the spelling).

Thanks for the help.
Colonel Jax
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 14:12
its a good ( due its still called FPS Creator Version 1 )

so don't expect a game like half life 2 unless ( version 10 ) released

ROAD TO AQSA Project .... JOin Us NoW
hopfully developer
Years of Service
User Offline
naa man
its not worth it
exposed media, slow performance, if u made a small level u would have to wait 5 to 6 mins to load the game(at play time)
contact me at wiaam_k@hotmail.com
i will tell you something else
bye man

ya its me
munky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 14:19
just be aware..you can't save your game progress whilst playing....
and i don't think there are many...(if any) people who have actually released an entire game. It has it's good points...but is currently quite limited. If you want to make quality FPS games, there are better game engines out there... e.g.(the Torgue game engine is only $100.oo US$ and it is used in commercial game making by the pros and has a better support network and extra stuff you can buy and add later).

see this link

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/index.php

FPS Creator is a great 'toy' to muck around with, but if you are serious about game making, you may find it too limiting....and there are heaps of bugs and some of the add-on item packs you can buy don't always work either...

please, please check out these reviews too.......

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=271

I still like mucking around with fpsc but it's at a point where i want to do some real game making...so this is not the software for that...well not net and maybe never...

cheers..
munky

let he who is without aim cast the first stone.
Black Terror
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 14:27 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 14:28
I think that it is worth paying for because you can make fun games for everyone to play and put them on your website, then people go back to your website for more, and then you can make a BIG project and sell it for a couple of bucks and slowly make your money back! *breaths*

That is what I am attempting. If your trying to make money, it will cost alot. Over 100 dollars for sure if you make your own website. Filefrount.com will always be there for people that are not looking for their own website, but you might not make as much money because things there are harder to find and there are going to be alot of other bargains there aswell.

Black Terror
Official Website
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 14:30 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 16:19
You should never buy any application on what it may do in the future, but only based on what it can do now!

If you don't like it as is, don't buy it, but wait. If it gets the features you need within a resonable timespan, buy it then or else look for something else that suits your needs better.

If you can't live without a save/load feature don't buy, but wait. different people are looking into the possibilities, so it may not be long before we do have somekind of save/load feature or and alternative for it. But on the other hand it may still take a long time before we see it, but hope not.

As for the slowdown, that all depends on what you create. If you expect to create massive worlds or structures you can explore, don't buy FPSC, it cannot do that. It can do lovely worlds and structures you can explore, but you may need to divide it over different levels.

Optimizing and creating your levels wisely you give you good speed.

Perhaps you'd care to download the demo in this link http://files.filefront.com/landscapedemozip/;4901240;;/fileinfo.html and see how well it runs on your machine. It's an outdoor map with lot's of mountains and a number of buildings. It has been optimized to the max, so when it comes to outdoors/indoor combination it gives you a good idea what FPSC can handle. I'm still working on a indoor only demo, but that isn't finishd yet.

On an AMD Athlon 2Ghz (XP2400+), with 1Gb and ATI Radeon 9600, this level runs 28fps minimum, but most of the time above 30fps.

Imo FPSC is worth every cent/penny even without save/load features.

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://megagaming.taken.to
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 16:16
If you want some chance of finishing some game (however modest), it's great.

If you want to spend your free time on forums debating the philosophy of how great Torque is for your latest vaporware project, then by all means blow a hundred bucks.

The indi scene exists in this nether world, where "experts" roam and troll each other about their app of choice, but few achieve the glory of a finished, decent (or forgivably semi-decent) game.

This, I beleive, was the whole reason TGC made FPSC in the first place. Apart from the money, which I'm sure is a bonus.

You should take all that devmaster pseudo-expert stuff with a grain of salt. It's mostly crap.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 16:49 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 16:51
You can't become a movie producer by simply buying a camera and you can't be a rich and famous game developer by getting FPS Creator.

But.... if you want to learn about 3d and FPS game making, use your creativity and imagination to determine what you can do instead of what you can't do, have fun making your own distributable games and share your work in like minded community.... then yes. You should get FPSC.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this title is still in it's infancy and I can only beleive that more and greater things are yet to come.

Crazy Grandpa
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 17:01
transient makes an excellent point: finishing the game, that's what it's all about.

There are well over 50000 3D GameStudio users, I'm pretty sure there are quite a lot Torque users also. Do you know how many of those users actually ever release a game? I'm not sure about Torque, but with 3D GameStudio it is shocking how few ever create a game with it. Since Torque is much harder to use, I'm sure the figures will be about the same.

If you're new to game development don't even attempt Torque, it will be a dissapointment. FPSC is the perfect tool for first time (but seasoned) users, easy to use, sure to get results and that's something most engine cannot claim.

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://megagaming.taken.to
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!
Gunk
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the advice, I'll consider it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-07 11:26:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-07 11:26:13